ADVERTISEMENT

Reach to bottom in OK Education

First, its not 238 billion, its more like 80 billion. About half of that is Pell Grants and Student Loans, and have nothing to do with common ed. A large amount of the rest is special education which have very little impact on the vast majority of students. Title 1 grants make up the largest portion of the rest of the money, and are used to bolster education in impoverished areas, but its not a lot of money when you realize how many impoverished schools there are. Almost all funding comes from the states, not the DOE. https://www.ed.gov/sites/ed/files/about/overview/budget/budget25/budget-highlights.pdf
I assume I can place you on the side that believes the Department of Education is doing a great job and the billions in taxpayer funding it receives each year can not be better spent to provided the results we expect. Good to know.

A couple of questions anyone with the goal of improving education in this country should be asking.

Are we getting the results we want?
Can we spend the 238 billion budget the Department of Education has better?

In my view the answers are obvious. No we are not getting the results we want and we can spend that money better to get the results we expect.
Like most liberals, he doesn't care about helping anyone. He cares about trying to use a talking point to get a dig in on the GOP in the state of Oklahoma.

You know, to prove how big a 'republican' he is.

Like most liberals, he doesn't care about helping anyone. He cares about trying to use a talking point to get a dig in on the GOP in the state of Oklahoma.

You know, to prove how big a 'republican' he is.
Its not a "talking point" The GOP has failed Oklahoma children and that proof is borne out by the decline in funding (adjusted per student and for inflation), the decline in test scores, and the decline in almost every measurable factor compared to our peer states.

• Haha
Reactions: AC2020
Its not a "talking point" The GOP has failed Oklahoma children and that proof is borne out by the decline in funding (adjusted per student and for inflation), the decline in test scores, and the decline in almost every measurable factor compared to our peer states.
Your solution is to throw more money at a system that is failing and expect different results? Sounds about right, Democrats have been doing that for years.

The problem with education is multifaceted and more of an indication society is not functioning correctly.
Back when my son was in high school it hit me what the problem with education is. We were at a Texas High School playoff game against a Fort Worth inner city school that hadn't made the playoffs in years We played the game in their home stadium. Everyone that attended the game was required to go through metal detectors and each individual was searched before being allowed into the stadium. Once we were in the game I looked over to the home stands and saw maybe 100 people in their stands, while our side had thousands in the stands, the aisles and standing along the fence. I remember feeling absolutely terrible for the kids on the other team. They had worked their ass off to make it into the playoffs and they only had about 100 people in the stands to support them. It was then and there that I came to the realization that no matter how much money you throw at public education nothing will get the results we want until we fix the societal issues facing this country.

Reactions: AC2020
The problem is clearly the Republican leadership in Oklahoma. There can be no other explanation, especially since the Democratic leaders in this state are brilliant. Look how well Oklahoma performed across the board from inception to 15 years ago.

The problem is clearly the Republican leadership in Oklahoma. There can be no other explanation, especially since the Democratic leaders in this state are brilliant. Look how well Oklahoma performed across the board from inception to 15 years ago.
15 years ago we were near the middle in
most education statistics

• Haha
Reactions: 2012Bearcat
Blame this on the Oklahoma state superintendents over the years.

Yes, Ryan Walters has been a huge failure as well.
Superintendents have little to do with teacher pay which IMO is the #1 factor in our declining education system. We have lost a LOT of teachers to surrounding states because they can make a lot more money, leaving us with a teacher crisis our legislature has pretended to solve by allowing people without college degrees to teach and giving "emergency" certifications out like they are candy. Having unprepared, unqualified and inexperienced teachers all over the state has been terrible for our kids. Second, our kids have growing needs in that schools are now the de facto "parent" for a lot of children. They are dealing with a lot more issues than they ever have including medical and psychological issues that were not nearly as common in the past. This costs $$$ to deal with, but the legislature has responded by cutting funding significantly over the last 15 years instead of increasing to deal with these needs (counselors, etc). Third, class sizes are much higher than they have been. For instance, when Oklahoma declared their revenue failure a few years ago and across the board cut funding, districts were forced to cut teachers. My daughters third grade class went from 19 to 29 kids. You are crazy if you dont think that made a difference in instruction.

• Haha
Reactions: Alpha Woke
Go ahead, Champ, and let me know what you think the US DOE does specially for Oklahoma that would make it better than Texas or Kansas or Missouri?
Again.

Oklahoma is in the same pathetic canoe as Texas, Kansas, and Missouri. I've enterviewed a number of educators in all 4 states. 99% of educators cannot teach me to count US currency. .99 cents is not 99 cents as these clowns have told me time and time again. None of the pathetic US systems teach the structure and history of the US dollar. Educators in all states were never taught. I could go on and on and on.

The US DOE needs to go.

Again.

Oklahoma is in the same pathetic canoe as Texas, Kansas, and Missouri. I've enterviewed a number of educators in all 4 states. 99% of educators cannot teach me to count US currency. .99 cents is not 99 cents as these clowns have told me time and time again. None of the pathetic US systems teach the structure and history of the US dollar. Educators in all states were never taught. I could go on and on and on.

The US DOE needs to go.
The US DOE isn’t in the business of teaching teachers 🤦🏻‍♂️

Again.

The US DOE needs to go.
The US DOE isn’t in the business of teaching teachers 🤦🏻‍♂️
Bingo! You are acutely perceptive.
LOL Thank you Sunny, this is awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT