ADVERTISEMENT

Random Question

Air_Thurman

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 16, 2003
Something I was curious about. Anyone know what year we had the most NCAA champions on the roster? I'm not talking about starters in that year but guys who would at some point win a title in their career.

I bet we have some crazy years.

Well, OSU had five champions in 2005. Plus, Coleman Scott was the 125 pounder, who won it all three years later. So that's six out of ten weights.

Great question! Micco may have the answer already. Early 90's would have had Fried, P. Smith, McGrew and two who won titles after transferring...T. Purler and Jaworsky. That's all I can I can remember.

Yeah my first thought was 2005 but I figured there may have been a team before my team who had more.

You're talking recent history. Some of the great teams from other era's would have many more I would think.

I assume you count each wrestler once in the event he won multiple years? It looks like 2005 was the only year with 5 champions.

2005 - Esposito, Hendricks, Pendleton, Rosholt, Mocco.

So you can only count prior years as they would still be on the roster.

2004 - You had Pendleton
2003 - Johnny Thompson and Rosholt

Pendleton and Rosholt are repeats and I don't think Thompson was on the 2005 team.

There were several years with four - 1928, 1929, 1931, 1937, 1941, and 1942. Without researching eligibility you would have the possible numbers

1929 - 7
1931 - 5
1941 - 5

So 1929 had Bancroft, VanBebber, Caldwell, McCready.
1928 had DeMarsh, Clodfelter, Ruler, and McCready again.
So 7 different wrestlers. Now Caldwell in '29 and Rule in '28 both won at the same weight (175) so Rule possibly graduated. That would still leave 6. I think there were fewer weights competing in the older days so winning four might be more impressive than 5 in modern times. However, the competition is much greater now so winning five in 2005 was pretty amazing.

In reviewing the all Americans by year, none of the champions from 1928 were AA in 1929 so it was only 4 in 1929. And I was wrong in my statement about only looking backwards. Someone on the roster not winning in 1928 but winning in 1929 would count towards the 1928 team. Without having rosters it would be hard to decipher unless they AA'ed.

Some other random freshman stuff:
Only four freshman have won a national championship - Hutton, Smith, Branch, and Rosholt.

Only 32 freshmen has AA'ed and only 8 since 2000 - Thompson, Lewis, Rosholt, Hendricks, Friskhorn, Scott, Oliver, and Dieringer. All of them red shirted except for Scott.

Only 16 freshmen have won a conference championship and only 8 since 2000 - Lewis, Thompson, Morgan, Scott, Oliver, Perry, Dieringer, and Klimara. Morgan, Scott, and Klimara were the only true freshmen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT