ADVERTISEMENT

Question for OSU insiders

Poke81

2nd Team
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2001
What does this program look like in a year or two? I've got little knowledge, just want your thoughts.

By no means am I an insider , but I will give my thoughts. the next few years look really good. The team this year is better than the dual results, I expect it to to be similar to last year. Some discouraging results during dual season, but they peaked at nationals and outperformed most peoples expectations. There is only one senior on this team, Kindig, and Colllica should fill in at 149 next year. I don't foresee much of a drop off if any there. What they decide to do at 57-74 is a mystery to me,but there are a lot of talented kids to fight for spots. It all depends on where AD ends up, but I have renewed excitement in Kyle Crutchmers future. 197 will be interesting to keep an eye on, not sure what has happened to Schafer and reports seem positive for Weigel. The last 2 recruiting classes have been stellar, both ranked second in the country. Add that to the youth that is showing promise on the is team and I expect good things.
Next year we have:
125: Klimara Sr, Piccinnini FR
133: Harding SO, Brock Fr, Olsen Fr
141: Heil So, Lewallen Fr, Dolan So
149: Collica Jr, Schmaker So, Smith?Fr
157: Blees Fr, Smith?, Marstellar? Fr C Rogers?
165: AD Sr, Marsteller?, C Rogers?Fr
174: AD? Crutchmer Jr, Rogers Jr
184 Boyd Jr
197 Schafer jr, Bean jr, Weigel Fr. Marsden? FR
285 Marsden Sr Allen Fr

Looks good to me. I know I have forgotten some, but that is what I remember. Looks like we need some bodies at 184 and 285. I figure Andrew Marsden will eventually move to 285. I for one am really excited for the the future of the program. It will also be interesting what happen with Jacobe Smith and some of these other OK kids coming up. I noticed the Walker Kid from south more is ranked at Hwt by flo. Pretty impressive to be ranked at the big weights as a freshman.

The one you have left off is Mike Magaldo at 141. If Dean Heil ( Dean need to improve on his technique, which should of already happened) doesn't keep improving I see Mike fighting for that spot. Mike is a Nolan Boyd kind of wrestler, buys into what the coaches tell him and goes the extra mile to get there. Mike comes in with a better resume than Nolan from high school. Not all of the recruits are that way, even when the proof is being shown on the mat by some of their team mates.

Luke Bean is going to have his chance now at 197, a buy into the coaches kind of young man. Hope good thing happen to him and he get the rest of the season being the starter. Weigel has some talent and is waiting in the wings. As for Schafer, I feel he should start working for being our heavy 2 years from now. He could probably blink and be 230 without trying. We have no backup really at this time if Marsden gets hurt. Also I think Schafer could be good at that weight.

Harding is showing why we have recruited him. He wrestles with heart and determination, showing a lot of his fellow team mates how a OSU wrestler should wrestle. He may win or lose but as a fan I will always walk away feeling good about this effort. In the third running back to the center of the mat while the other wrestler is sucking wind. We have to many wrestlers on our team that is the one sucking wind on one knee in the second and third ( second, you got to be kidding me).

I forgot about Hone, but he's got a tough rode to hoe. Harding, Heil, Magaldo, brock, Olsen, Lewallen... Wow, when you list all the kids at those weights you realize we should have some come out as total hammers!!

Good point Cachap, Hone has probably been one of the most improved from start of school year on this team. Forgot about him, don't know why. From what I hear, as nice as they come, never will say anything bad about anybody, even about Oberebo! This freshmen class is well liked by the upper class, there are a few other gems on the team but need a little more information to talk about them.

Roger, Blees, Marsteller, Schumacher, Blaylock, Cannon, Mann and Lamons all are D-1 talent. They all are trying to find there way coming into their first year in college. They all are making strides, Marsteller surprised me at SS in a good way. Along way until next year, we differently need a few to make major improvement for our team to compete for next season title. They all need to buy into what the coaches are telling them, time will tell.

Hone likes me despite the fact that he knew I would correct your syntax and substitute definitely for differently.

Talent isn't the issue moving forward. IMO it's how the talent is balanced and spread through the lineup that could be an issue.

Originally posted by osu2082:
Talent isn't the issue moving forward. IMO it's how the talent is balanced and spread through the lineup that could be an issue.
Yes, it seems like we have plenty of options for next year through 165, or 174 if Alex moves up. Plus Nolan at 184 and Marsden at 285, so we should be better next year.

This post was edited on 1/24 8:24 PM by cachap5327

Question. Was there some of the lineup missing today or are we that far down from competing
with teams like Missou? Also, what is the reason Marsteller/ sp. is not in the lineup.
Is he redshirting this year.

Everyone wrestled except kindig, Missouri is a good team and we lost 3 matches by one point. They have 3 potential finalists and multiple more who could AA. Marsteller is red shirting, he didn't look as good at 57 and AD is at 65. It will be interesting to see where he lands next year.

At this point, the Cowboys have three losses on the year to #1, 2, and 3. They haven't always looked the best but they taking on the best in the country.

Originally posted by proud2bpokes:
At this point, the Cowboys have three losses on the year to #1, 2, and 3. They haven't always looked the best but they taking on the best in the country.
+1[/I]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT