ADVERTISEMENT

Possible portal guy

Here is on the visit. At least he’s smiling. Anybody know who that is with him? Lutz mentioned we had a couple visiting….

Good to see Nate Oates talk about how he could have contributed to a good Alabama team last year. His highlights look impressive... more of a wing than a forward.

Glad to hear it went well. With these portal bball guys it seems like “no news is bad news.” Fingers crossed we get it done.
Agree. Can't imagine a guy this late and having not played last year can demand a lot of NIL. Speaking of NIL we raised around $1.5 million at the OKC event for basketball. At least that was the committed amount and they still have people they are contacting from that night. They plan to do the same thing in Tulsa. Of course that money is a 5 year commitment so that Coach Lutz will know each year a baseline of what he has to work with.

Agree. Can't imagine a guy this late and having not played last year can demand a lot of NIL. Speaking of NIL we raised around $1.5 million at the OKC event for basketball. At least that was the committed amount and they still have people they are contacting from that night. They plan to do the same thing in Tulsa. Of course that money is a 5 year commitment so that Coach Lutz will know each year a baseline of what he has to work with.
Thank you to those that were willing and able to commit at the level that they were looking for.

There was an event at SHCC this week.

Good deal. Have to build a base. People donating $10,00, $25,000 or more of course. 100 people at $25,000 is $2.5 million.
Thats math. Just an opinion. They should for sure do that. But also try to get a bunch of smaller donations too. 1,000 people donating $2,500 also equals $2.5mil. And 50 people donating $25,000 plus 500 people donating $2,500 also equals $2.5 mil. Which of those three do you think are the easiest to find?

Last edited:
Thats math. Just an opinion. They should for sure do that. But also try to get a bunch of smaller donations too. 1,000 people donating $2,500 also equals $2.5mil. And 50 people donating $25,000 and 500 people donating $2,500 also equals $2.5 mil. Which of those three do you think are the easiest to find?
Umm check the math on your last figure, believe 500 at $2,500 is 1.25 mil, maybe 500 x $5,000, but hell, let’s take them all!😁

Need to think much bigger. It is hard to repeatedly ask people for money. Donor fatigue is a real deal. Maximize fundraising efforts to achieve the most returns.

Treat it like a capital campaign. Set a goal of $100M in fundraising. Get a lead donor at around $20M or more. Several others at $1M to $5M. When you get at least half the funds raised take it to the general public, let the smaller donors take you over the finish line, and they will be much more likely to donate knowing it will be successful with so much already banked. Once you have this endowment, use the annual yield to fund NIL.

If you want to have a sustainable source of funds this is the path, you can budget it.

Create an endowment to fund the entire athletic department NIL and or pay, whatever they call this in the end.

Reactions: colcord
Think How Many GIF by Black Prez

Thats math. Just an opinion. They should for sure do that. But also try to get a bunch of smaller donations too. 1,000 people donating $2,500 also equals $2.5mil. And 50 people donating $25,000 and 500 people donating $2,500 also equals $2.5 mil. Which of those three do you think are the easiest to find?

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
How about we have a Coach that decides who he wants to take and we pay them. Kentucky has been winning this game for a long time, same with KU.

We can get enough to get the guys we “want” but it is going to come down to are they are going to buy in.

This is going to be a well disciplined and smart team. We are not going to spend money (in my opinion) on flyers that want to come in and dictate what position and how many shots they get.

Thats math. Just an opinion. They should for sure do that. But also try to get a bunch of smaller donations too. 1,000 people donating $2,500 also equals $2.5mil. And 50 people donating $25,000 plus 500 people donating $2,500 also equals $2.5 mil. Which of those three do you think are the easiest to find?
Central......the Iba-Sutton Society will take any donation and if you or anyone wants to donate I can steer them to someone who will gladly take it. However when you schedule an event and have the AD, Larry Reese, PWAP, Coach Lutz and others you want people there who will $10,000 minimum for 5 years. At least that was the thought from the OSU side. Then you still need a really high level donor or two. The fact the school is now involved helps a bunch.

Central......the Iba-Sutton Society will take any donation and if you or anyone wants to donate I can steer them to someone who will gladly take it. However when you schedule an event and have the AD, Larry Reese, PWAP, Coach Lutz and others you want people there who will $10,000 minimum for 5 years. At least that was the thought from the OSU side. Then you still need a really high level donor or two. The fact the school is now involved helps a bunch.
I get that you can. I was just thinking it would be beneficial to have that level of thing organized year after year. Maybe don’t have to have all the bells and whistles for the smaller level events vs bigger level so they feel more special, but throw them a bone and make them feel like they’re part of it and raise money that way too. NIL doesn’t look like it’s going away, so having both bigger level and smaller level would be a good idea. Just seems like there’s a lot more people with $2,500 of disposable income rather than being able to drop $25,000. But this is also brought to us by the same athletic department that thought it was a good idea to raise ticket prices as our legendary coach was “retiring”

Last edited:
Let smaller donors stream it.
I agree with the other poster. What I’d do is have a consistent stream from the $2,500 crowd. Then utilize the bigger donors to either finish it out or come to for if we’re in on a big fish recruit and need a little more. It would be nice for it to be sitting there when a recruit is visiting and not have to call Happy and his friends of the program when needed

I get that you can. I was just thinking it would be beneficial to have that level of thing organized year after year. Maybe don’t have to have all the bells and whistles for the smaller level events vs bigger level so they feel more special, but throw them a bone and make them feel like they’re part of it and raise money that way too. NIL doesn’t look like it’s going away, so having both bigger level and smaller level would be a good idea. Just seems like there’s a lot more people with $2,500 of disposable income rather than being able to drop $25,000. But this is also brought to us by the same athletic department that thought it was a good idea to raise ticket prices as our legendary coach was “retiring”
Agree with that, but time is limited in fundraising so you have to start at a higher level. To me a big key is a 5 year commitment regardless of the level. Going back to people year after year is hard to do. The Austian Fund was a 5 year commitment. Of course they rolled all of that money into football.

Trilly says we are OUT on Kris Parker and Villanova is the only team in contact with him right now.

Reactions: woodlandpoke
For him to have dwindled down to a single team when he is the only guy it seems in the portal. Gotta have some baggage
I think @woodlandpoke alluded to this earlier, but I saw one highlight video that referred to Parker as a “combo guard.” No inside info, but if he’s looking for a place that will let him play PG, he may be waiting a while… 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: woodlandpoke
I think @woodlandpoke alluded to this earlier, but I saw one highlight video that referred to Parker as a “combo guard.” No inside info, but if he’s looking for a place that will let him play PG, he may be waiting a while… 🤷‍♂️
Boynton would have signed him as a combo guard and we'd have another player on our court doing anything but what was needed to win.

For him to have dwindled down to a single team when he is the only guy it seems in the portal. Gotta have some baggage
That is the OSUI company line "must be something wrong with him" when we don't get him. Yet we brought him in and offered. Was told it went well, but also you never know. In the land of NIL betting he is looking for a bigger pay day that we can afford. NIL sux.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT