ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Make Public College Education free

brtinla

Heisman Candidate
Jul 11, 2005
New study shows it would cost the Federal government 15 billion a year to do so. What say you?
This post was edited on 12/16 9:48 PM by brtinla

Originally posted by poke2001:
I'd say the study is complete bs.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I think this is the answer. But if it can really be done for $15 B then it should. I would be in favor of a set of strict standards around who gets it paid for and such, based on achievement and not on need. Maybe something where the student has to take out loans to pay for the tuition and those loans are forgiven once they have a degree and a set time period to get a degree. In the end it would probably be an idealistic idea that would be ruined by politicians. But I am all for giving every American the access to a quality education without the crippling debt that currently comes with it.

It would depend upon the degree being earned, for sure.

Art majors need not apply.

It won't work. at all.

A high school diploma used to mean something. Then you make 'public' education free and and everyone has a diploma regardless of standards. So, you get a college degree in order to have a meaningful paper hung in your office.

If you make college 'free', the same thing will happen. Everyone will get a college degree and they'll become meaningless. They hold value because they are rare.

Originally posted by Ostatedchi:
It won't work. at all.

A high school diploma used to mean something. Then you make 'public' education free and and everyone has a diploma regardless of standards. So, you get a college degree in order to have a meaningful paper hung in your office.

If you make college 'free', the same thing will happen. Everyone will get a college degree and they'll become meaningless. They hold value because they are rare.
Another unintended cosequence would be the postponement of income tax revenues for millions more Americans who will now be taking the free-school route instead of going to work.

Originally posted by Bitter Creek:
It won't work. at all.

Another unintended cosequence would be the postponement of income tax revenues for millions more Americans who will now be taking the free-school route instead of going to work.
Curious if you've done the math here... what would those new entrants actually be paying in tax revenues and would that not be offset by future increases in revenue from an increase in earnings through the additional education?

Posit that this is not a zero sum game, that we can improve overall standard of living and American global competitiveness (hence raising the US standard of living and overall share of global GDP in the process).

I'll take your answer off the air.

Originally posted by davidallen:

It won't work. at all.

Curious if you've done the math here... what would those new entrants actually be paying in tax revenues and would that not be offset by future increases in revenue from an increase in earnings through the additional education?

Posit that this is not a zero sum game, that we can improve overall standard of living and American global competitiveness (hence raising the US standard of living and overall share of global GDP in the process).

They won't be paying anything extra. At least not a net gain. Again, re-read my first post. A college education won't mean what it does today once the masses have them.

You'll have to go do something extra. Maybe that would be post-graduate school. Maybe that would be getting a 'real' deploma from a private instution instead of the public system.

The standard of living won't be improved for the rank and file Joe Public.

Originally posted by davidallen:

It won't work. at all.

They won't be paying anything extra. At least not a net gain. Again, re-read my first post. A college education won't mean what it does today once the masses have them.

You'll have to go do something extra. Maybe that would be post-graduate school. Maybe that would be getting a 'real' deploma from a private instution instead of the public system.

The standard of living won't be improved for the rank and file Joe Public.
This was my reasoning as well

Plus, a lot of those additional degrees being earned aren't going to be on the level of an engineering degree. Kids that are bent towards learning a marketable talent are going to find their way to and through school regardless.

And everyone that gets one of these "free educations" should be given a unicorn to ride back and forth to class and home.

I'd like to see the $15 billion figure explained. A real quick look at OSU shows $100 million alone (20k students @5k annual tuition, so, not including books, room and board, etc). All private schollies, and state funded schollies would immediately go away since uncle Obama would be footing the bill.

I just don't see how $15 billion is anywhere close. And as others have said, why should the government pay for some ahole to go party girl 4 years while earning a degree in art history? What happens if the flunk out? What if their grades suck so bad they can't get a job?

Terrible idea. In fact, we need to cut federal subsidies to school, which ultimately would lower rates. Only private loans should be available and banks should use degree and grades to set total loan amount and interest rate.

We need FEWER people in college, not more. We need more people in degrees that can actually be used.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT