ADVERTISEMENT

Players/Recruits

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
Let's discuss what effect we might see, on the roster, if Doug is hired.

I don't know any of the players/recruits, so I am just guessing here. But, as we saw with Underwood, a proven coach can often take over a program and convince talented players to stick around (like he did with Forte). He can also convince committed recruits to stick with their commitment (McGriff, Lindy, Dz).

Now, I will admit that Doug is charming and he is a bull-shitter (in a positive way). Maybe he would be able to convince the kids that everything is going to be awesome when he takes over. But, if I am Dawson, Hardy, Carroll, or Evans, I am going to be extremely dubious. Those 4 guys are key to next season and the future. The more of them we can retain the better.
-It seems more likely that Evans would return for a year under Miller/Crean/Enfield than to waste a year playing for a guy who is learning on the job.
-I don't know if Carroll qualifies as a grad transfer, but if so, I would think he might feel similarly.
-The incoming recruits are going to be contacted by plenty of programs in the next 2 wks. None of them are local guys, so I could see them getting picked off by programs closer to home. If I am them, I am less inclined to stick with OSU if they are bringing in an experiment as HC.

I don't see how Doug is successful without talent on the roster. IMO, if that is who we hire, the result is very likely going to be 3 more years of bottom feeding followed by an "oh well, we tried". Yuck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News