ADVERTISEMENT

Places to Retire

Our goal is Stillwater. We've actually considered doing that sooner than later. With the American routes out of stilly now, it is at least feasible.

Is the population over 50k? When I worked for the city in college, that was always a stickler during commission meetings, Target had a 50k population requirement prior to any surveying, etc.

Not sure but my daughter is fired up over it. Lol
Target has had its eye on a specific tract of land on the west side of Stilly for some time now. @EvilPOKES is correct - 50k is the population threshold, and the city was pretty disappointed when they didn't hit that during the 2010 census. Many in town think Wal Mart put the super center on the west side of town 10 years ago as a preemptive move to ward off a Target entry into the market, because it's right by the land Target's been looking at.

I heard at one point that Target actually owned the land, but I'm not sure that's correct.

Target has had its eye on a specific tract of land on the west side of Stilly for some time now. @EvilPOKES is correct - 50k is the population threshold, and the city was pretty disappointed when they didn't hit that during the 2010 census. Many in town think Wal Mart put the super center on the west side of town 10 years ago as a preemptive move to ward off a Target entry into the market, because it's right by the land Target's been looking at.

I heard at one point that Target actually owned the land, but I'm not sure that's correct.
That is exactly correct. I think the land going just west is what they've looked at since?

My daughter bitches all the time about Stillwater not having a target. She drives to Edmond to go to it. It sounds nuts but having a Target will help with recruiting female students.

Estes Park is a fun little town but the tourist traffic is a bit insane during the summer. When I get old and decrepit I think I'll need something a little quieter. :)
You just need to know the hidden places around town ;)

My parents built a place outside town in the early '90s, so we've figured out ways to avoid traffic in the years since. We love spending time there in the spring, summer, and fall, but winters there are pretty rough.

You just need to know the hidden places around town ;)

My parents built a place outside town in the early '90s, so we've figured out ways to avoid traffic in the years since. We love spending time there in the spring, summer, and fall, but winters there are pretty rough.

We run up there at least a few times each winter. My experience has been that it wouldn't be so bad if not for the wind - seems like it blows all winter. Could just be bad timing. :)

I really like some of the properties north of town, just north of Glen Haven, but my wife thinks they are too remote.

Reactions: Colorado_Poke
1. Northern California/Western Nevada- Tahoe/Truckee or Napa/Sonoma. (I grew up in that area and have always wanted to move back.)
2. Kalispell, Flathead, Whitefish MT
3.If I can't afford the first 2 Chattanooga TN.

1. Northern California/Western Nevada- Tahoe/Truckee or Napa/Sonoma. (I grew up in that area and have always wanted to move back.)
2. Kalispell, Flathead, Whitefish MT
3.If I can't afford the first 2 Chattanooga TN.
Reno was a city that I thought about when I was looking for a place to retire.

Probably as close to my kids as possible. Family has a lot of land in western ok. There will be some fights over land and minerals probably in the very near future.

Flagstaff proper maybe, but the outskirts are my jam! The skiing be good!
name your top 3 *financially realistic* retirement destinations. I can’t buy Necker Island, even after the hurricane damage.

My current top 3 (wife and I):
- Santa Fe
- Stillwater
- somewhere in the Hill Country of Texas
I had Santa Fe on my list for a while. Even went out there and checked it twice. Second time, had a real estate agent show us around. It's an artsy town, high altitude desert. What I learned was, water shortages, wildfires, and high real estate prices. I liked the area a lot. Just did not like those qualities. It reminded me of Laguna Beach. Since I live in Orange County I thought why move 700 miles to Laguna Beach when Laguna Beach is 20 minutes away. The real estate lady who showed us around was from Orange County. She was moving back to Orange County.

Ever since I saw pictures of the Ft. Walton/Destin, FL area during the British Petroleum spill, I've been kind of infatuated with that area. I would not mind checking it out some day. Another area, I've been interested in is the San Antonio, area. But, like most men, I will probably end up where my wife's grandchildren are, which won't be too bad, 'cause they will be my grandchildren as well. That's just an indirect way of saying, 'I won't get my way. She will."

I don’t think I’ll ever truly retire. The thought of it scares the hell out of me. With that said I could see myself spending several months “away” a year which is feasible.

My pick would be Basalt, CO.
I'm in a similar boat - I'm planing to work until at least my late 60s as I know I'll get bored too easily in retirement.

Reactions: tcpoke
Probably Texas...either East Texas Hill Country, Big Bend country, or Gulf coast.

I don’t think I’ll ever truly retire. The thought of it scares the hell out of me. With that said I could see myself spending several months “away” a year which is feasible.

My pick would be Basalt, CO.

I agree. I picture myself working 2-3 days/week when I “retire” and taking frequent extended time off.

NYC for me in terms of spending extended time there. Tons to do, it is walkable and great healthcare.

Although Naples is tough to beat in February when it is cold everywhere else.

I agree. I picture myself working 2-3 days/week when I “retire” and taking frequent extended time off.

NYC for me in terms of spending extended time there. Tons to do, it is walkable and great healthcare.

Although Naples is tough to beat in February when it is cold everywhere else.
NYC is to expensive, just visit, Way cheaper. Plus the NY estate tax is deplorable. Just visit. The healthcare in NYC is no better than many other places in the US.

Naples is the bomb.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT