ADVERTISEMENT

Phone Recommendations

CBradSmith

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2005
Think the Galaxy S4 is about to tank on me. Wanted to know a few thoughts on a replacement. Not going to iphone. Saw a commercial about a Nexus 5 or 6 you can pre-order? Microsoft phones are (fill in the blank)?

Basically, I don't know much about the most up to date iteration of phones and am willing to go away from Galaxy, though my last 2 phones have been Galaxys, and I've been very pleased with both.

All this time I thought you were cool, but now you're telling me you're a droid?

Reactions: CBradSmith
I recently upgraded from the Galaxy S3 to the S6 Active. While the waterproof is not that important and while I don't use my phone in an active environment, I wanted to see if it was suitable to use without a case and have found that it works great for me. I did put a good screen protector on it, but have been comfortable without a case. I like the style too. One downside is that the back and menu buttons on the sides of the home button are tactile instead of touch. Takes a little getting used to. The software is great, fast, not much bloatware. I'm very happy with it and would be happy with the regular S6 as well.

Oh, and the battery on the S6 Active is bigger and can last two days for me with normal use (i.e., mostly emails, some texting, web browsing, some light time wasting game use).

(I'm also thinking about the Samsung Gear S2 watch. I haven't had a watch in years, but I'm going to keep an eye on it. I had been thinking about getting a Fit Bit, but this watch looks better to me and has more functionality.)

MS/Windows phones are garbage. Save yourself the headache.

Have loved both iPhone and my first droid, S5 Active.

The last two versions of the Nexus have been top of the line phones, but they are also more expensive, just be ready for that if you were expecting $299 that was the price point in the past.

Seems like most Android manufactures are starting to make a pure version these days (straight Android without the heavy overlays to customize the experience). My last two phones, both Motorolas, have been this way and Apple, Samsung Galaxies,etc are going to have to improve significantly to steal me away from stock Android in the future.

The Nexus 6p has been getting rave reviews. I can't quite justify getting it, but I don't think you could go wrong with it.

I have the LG G4 currently. I picked it up when it launched on AT&T and since then the software updates have addressed the few issues I've had.

Why are ruling out iPhone?

A coalescence of several things:

1. I'm comfortable with Android compatibility with Microsoft Office.
  2. I inherently begrudge the hubris I see in (my perception) that Apple limits the options of its consumers. (if iphone has become more consumer friendly, what their phones will accept and be compatible with, etc, then that would be something I would evaluate and possibly take as a positive).
  3. It irks Apple people.
  4. But seriously, I've been extremely pleased with both Galaxies I've had. I like the Android system and how it interacts with Google. That is probably the 2nd biggest reason.

@PDT816 Do you mind elaborating on your experience with the Motorolas?

You'll have to ask for additional details if you have questions, but here's the skinny on my experiences.

Pros:

Motorola has been very innovative in the past 5-6 years. Chances are that a ton on the stuff everyone thinks is cool about what's new on their new Android, Windows, or Apple hardware/operating system has already been on a Motorola phone for a year or more.

I still use my phone as an actual phone and Motorola still designs their hardware with the priority of being a phone. They tend to over-engineer the communication hardware compared to other manufacturers and as a result they perform significantly better. Probably not a big issue for others, but important to me.

Motorolas pretty much run stock Android. Other than the contextual services Motorola adds so that the phone is smart enough to adapt to what your doing (driving, working out, sleeping, in meetings, etc), they haven't added any bloat. Which makes it competitive to iPhones in that they run just as fast the entire time you buy them rather than slowing down with all the propriety crap manufacturers add.

Like a Nexus, Motorola makes it easy to to buy the phone direct. Having an unlocked phone without your carrier installing bloat, crippling it's features and chip-sets, or delaying operating system updates is better all around.

They will also connect to just about anything.

Cons:

I think all smartphones take shitty photos (which is reinforced every time I look at Facebook) and I still use real cameras , but low light shots on both my first and second generation Moto Xs have been pretty poor even amounting that it's a phone taking them. Video is better for some reason that I can't explain. No idea on the newest Moto X abilities in this area.

Motorola tends to write checks it can't cash when the phone is older. It will announce, say a three year old model, will be getting the latest version of Android then drop the ball six months later when said new version of Android goes public. They've given $100 off on your next Motorola phone when they failed to produce it, but it's still irritating when they should have just said no in the beginning rather than giving people false hope.

The flagship phones aren't huge volume sellers here, so you have to buy your cases, etc via Amazon.

A coalescence of several things:

1. I'm comfortable with Android compatibility with Microsoft Office.
  2. I inherently begrudge the hubris I see in (my perception) that Apple limits the options of its consumers. (if iphone has become more consumer friendly, what their phones will accept and be compatible with, etc, then that would be something I would evaluate and possibly take as a positive).
  3. It irks Apple people.
  4. But seriously, I've been extremely pleased with both Galaxies I've had. I like the Android system and how it interacts with Google. That is probably the 2nd biggest reason.

1. That's no why they limit the use. It's actually one of their most brilliant moves.

2. That said, I have all Apple stuff for compatibility, but I hate the hardware design of the new iPhones. It's full tard for so many reasons. I also hate the new typeface on the keyboard.

I don't deny that it's a smart move.

It's just not for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT