ADVERTISEMENT

OU coach resignation?

Looks like some of the wrestlers were quite pissed to find out about the hiring on social media before the school told them. Definitely could have been handled better

The OU wrestlers have no ideal how this went down. Maybe Rosselli was undecided until today and felt he needed to tell the tOSU team members first, which makes perfect sense. Once that happened, it's not like it was going to stay quiet for long and of course it didn't. The young men at OU shouldn't jump to conclusion without knowing the facts first.

Meluvwrestling..... I don't blame the young men at OU wrestling at all! If Roselli told the Ohio State wrestlers he was leaving why couldn't the AD or assist AD get with the wrestlers at OU and tell them??? Makes sense to me... Or in this day and age send out a group text! FYI..... The AD never met once with the wrestlers to discuss the firing or overall situation of the program. They, imo have every right to be pissed! I would say NO ONE including yourself should jump to conclusions without knowing the facts first! Heck... I knew before it got on social media and I draw no check from OU.

Can't get a good feel on if he wants to stay....Roselli Is a great hire. I just feel like the issues over the past couple head coaches have a lot to do with Joe C the AD. Not convinced the head coach is calling all the shots and has free reign to do so! Hopefully Roselli can change that trend. As with many if not all universities..... The mighty dollar leads to the truth!

Meluvwrestling..... I don't blame the young men at OU wrestling at all! If Roselli told the Ohio State wrestlers he was leaving why couldn't the AD or assist AD get with the wrestlers at OU and tell them??? Makes sense to me... Or in this day and age send out a group text! FYI..... The AD never met once with the wrestlers to discuss the firing or overall situation of the program. They, imo have every right to be pissed! I would say NO ONE including yourself should jump to conclusions without knowing the facts first! Heck... I knew before it got on social media and I draw no check from OU.
cowboyalum1990,
You're assuming that I don't know the facts and you would be 110% wrong. I happen to know individuals and families members on both sides of this situation and I'm not getting paid either. We don't live in the Pony Express era, it's a world of instant news/rumors/gossip and etc. It's not up to the AD to deliver the message to wrestlers, that's not his job. He didn't deliver the news to the wrestlers that Mark Cody was resigning or firing so why would he tell them about the new hire. The AD put Lightner in charge so Lightner is the one who should've provided information to the team and family members and that didn't happen either.

The situation at OU is unfortunate, communication with the family members and wrestlers was pretty much non-existent. What I'm saying is that when Rosselli finally decided to accept the position, there is NO WAY anyone could've got the OU team together before FLO broke the news period. I'm sure when Rosselli accepted the position, the AD's first call was to the boosters who are writing the checks for the hire. Yes, we all knew Rosselli was the frontrunner but until Rosselli officially accepted the OU job, it was per speculation.

I'm not saying the wrestlers shouldn't be upset because of the lack of communication within the program but what I'm saying is that when the Rosselli decision was conveyed to the tOSU wrestlers, the news spread extremely fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: diehard1413
We dealt with a change in coaches and unfortunately some kids fell through the cracks in the transition because administrations attitude was the kids would just yes sir their way through this with a top down attitude.

I hope all works out for everyone involved. Ou being relevant and competitive is extremely important for excellence in wrestling in Oklahoma from D1 youth all the way through university level.

So...what your saying is that when Roselli accepted the job there was no time for the AD or assist AD to contact any of the wrestlers? I find that very hard to believe. My point is that all they are told is that everything that is being done is in the best interest of the wrestlers/ young men.... A little communication could go a very very long way.

More to your point.... When they did fire/resign Mark .... The kids did not hear it on Flo... Mark came over and made the announcement to the team... Correct? If not mistaken accompanied by the AD or Assist AD.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest... Just feel like it could of been handled differently as it appears the wrestlers feel that way too according to some social media posts. At the end if the day how close you or I are to the program makes zero difference. I stand by the point that it does matter to the wrestlers and something as little as a text WOULD of gone a very long way. I think Roselli will do great and I hope the best for OU!!

So...what your saying is that when Roselli accepted the job there was no time for the AD or assist AD to contact any of the wrestlers? I find that very hard to believe. My point is that all they are told is that everything that is being done is in the best interest of the wrestlers/ young men.... A little communication could go a very very long way.

More to your point.... When they did fire/resign Mark .... The kids did not hear it on Flo... Mark came over and made the announcement to the team... Correct? If not mistaken accompanied by the AD or Assist AD.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest... Just feel like it could of been handled differently as it appears the wrestlers feel that way too according to some social media posts. At the end if the day how close you or I are to the program makes zero difference. I stand by the point that it does matter to the wrestlers and something as little as a text WOULD of gone a very long way. I think Roselli will do great and I hope the best for OU!!

That's exactly what I'm saying. I really don't understand what's so hard to believe. Mark Cody situation is different because it was in house. Do you really think that the AD first calls or interest was to inform the wrestlers, I don't. I think it was to his staff to get the contract finalized, contact the boosters and then the wrestlers regarding the hire.

Let's say that Rosselli decides to accept the job while in Columbus, that information is relayed to the tOSU wrestlers and then informs the OU AD. It only takes one person in the room to text someone immediately after or during the meeting and now everyone knows about it. I mean, even you stated you knew about it before the OU wrestlers and media and that makes sense but the other scenario doesn't, interesting.

No pissing match on my end, just a conversation on how fast news travels. Your points are valid, no disagreement that communication is key. I just think in today's world, news travels fast and if you're not involved in the situation, you're the last ones to find out.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I really don't understand what's so hard to believe. Mark Cody situation is different because it was in house. Do you really think that the AD first calls or interest was to inform the wrestlers, I don't. I think it was to his staff to get the contract finalized, contact the boosters and then the wrestlers regarding the hire.

Let's say that Rosselli decides to accept the job while in Columbus, that information is relayed to the tOSU wrestlers and then informs the OU AD. It only takes one person in the room to text someone immediately after or during the meeting and now everyone knows about it. I mean, even you stated you knew about it before the OU wrestlers and media and that makes sense but the other scenario doesn't, interesting.

No pissing match on my end, just a conversation on how fast news travels. Your points are valid, no disagreement that communication is key. I just think in today's world, news travels fast and if you're not involved in the situation, you're the last ones to find out.
I see common ground here for both of you to agree. The PR was not great on this if the wrestlers were not informed before the news came out. But heck, all they had to do was read our board and read Cowboy Alum's statements. They did not get the official announcement but I agree with meluv that in this day and age news travels very fast. The main thing that I see is that OU got a great coach and one that should bring OU wrestling back to the fore front. I like pissing contests as I am a cantankerous old fart but now that I have congratulated OU they are back to being the enemy in posts going forward. I told Micco that Roselli could not be a good coach or wrestlers as he is disadvantaged in the hair department but Micco pointed out that we have no grounds to stand on in that argument.

I don't see how it's the fault of the AD at all. It's not his job to inform 25 different kids of what's going on in one specific program of his 20-odd program department. That's why he hired coaches and staffs. There was or wasn't a communication error, I have absolutely no idea how it all worked out. But IF there was an error made, it's on Lightner. It's his program. If he didn't think to communicate the on-goings of the search committee to the wrestlers, that's 100% on him.

Appears there was some type of communication breakdown not informing wrestlers or maybe AD and admin. couldn't say anything to the OU wrestlers legally until contract was signed sealed and delivered. Unfortunately, in this day and age it would have spread quickly whether OU was notified first or how it played out according to FLO with Buckeye's being informed first. Winning forgives your sins. I am sure no one will be talking about this in a few months.

Micco.... Gotta add this. The AD is the DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS....he is the head of the snake.... Maybe one of his employees did not do their job but to say he is not at fault at all is a bit stretching it. Yes he has 20 some odd sports (19 to be exact) but that's still his department. I will also say Lightner is a tough one to blame.... After all... He was applying for what he called " his dream job" and his hopes got shattered. On one hand we say we live in light speed communication era and on the other hand we say we can't contact all the guys. AGAIN.... not trying to be the wiener weed here, just saying IN MY OPINION, it could of been done.

Regardless.... I still love all you Cowboy Dudes. It's good for the soul to not see everything eye to eye!!!! What would we have to talk about?????

Now.... To only be fair....the AD and Leonard did meet with the wrestlers face to face today so I gotta give him that even if I think he is an a$$!

Reactions: MiccoMacey
Agreed about the good dudes (and women) of the board. It's a great place to hang out and talk wrestling. I appreciate all your convos on the subject. I look forward to wrestling season, and possibly meeting you and others on the board I haven't met.

Mark Schultz was not impressed with the hire. Stating OU made a poor choice and that no one would come to Norman to wrestle for Lou.

Robie from VT was offered head assist but eventually turned it down. I think that is where Lightner came in. Just imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT