ADVERTISEMENT

OSU vs tiggers

149 is going to be tough to seed at NCAA and being on the bottom of the bracket is obviously to Collica's advantage. Even though Collica has beaten Mayes twice, he lost the last match and Sorensen wrestled Rutherford close. Assuming we wrestle Penn St., his match with Rutherford even in a loss might be important. If he loses by major and B1G finals are close, Collica probably falls to 4, making it harder to get to the finals.

Our run at 35 will be dependent on seeds, draws, and upsets as we have a lot of guys that will be in the 5-8 range and they will need to wrestle above the seed. We have peaked at the right time recently and hopefully will do the same this year.
It won't matter the score, it's just who you have beat or lost to. If Collica only loses to retherford and if retherford beats sorenson then Collica should slot into the 2.

I just get the feeling that Joes style and body build seem to be conflicting. Hard to describe. Something just seems way off.... I don't know.

It won't matter the score, it's just who you have beat or lost to. If Collica only loses to retherford and if retherford beats sorenson then Collica should slot into the 2.
I hope that is correct, but I would have been more confident if he won last night. Would be nice if Mayes could beat Sorensen, assuming Iowa and Missouri wrestle.

I was mildly surprised we saw Collica last night as it's hard for me to see Mayes not being seeded above him now.

Seeds and draws all across are always important but seem even more so at 149 and 157 for us.

Joe's injury and bulking up has put him way behind the 8 ball and then I think that has turned into some confidence issues as well.

He was a much more offensively active wrestler last year.

Seeding and draws at 149 will be critical. Right now there doesn't seem to be more than a takedown's difference among the top 5 or 6 guys. I would think Anthony is no higher than 3 right now, with very little chance to move up without help from someone else.

Seeding and draws at 149 will be critical. Right now there doesn't seem to be more than a takedown's difference among the top 5 or 6 guys. I would think Anthony is no higher than 3 right now, with very little chance to move up without help from someone else.
I hope that this post does not come off as polly-anna-sh but not that disappointed about last night. We knew going in that either wrestler could win at 149 and 165. We lost both of those but we wrestled well. Lewis unable to ride Rogers and Rogers looked good but apparently may have run out of gas at the end. That match could go either way any time they wrestle. Collica got a bad break on the takedown call in the 2nd which I thought was quick and ref gave zilch reaction time. I thought it was a takedown Collica and then an escape by Mayes which would have ended up +1 for us. Instead it was takedown,reverse,escape which was -1 for us which is a difference of two points and the match is even. i am in no way disappointed or concerned about those two wrestlers. Joe is another matter and maybe no one knows the answer. He obviously has no confidence in his takedowns as he no longer shoots at all. I hope he can right the ship but it will be very difficult. At this point in time Blaylock would be a better answer IMO. He probably would have gotten beat last night but he would have shot and given it his all. If you really look back at Joe's career he started out very well but he did not look good in the NCAA's even in the matches he won and has continued not looking like the same wrestler this year. I am not as down on Crutchmer but he has reigned in his takedown attempts to go upper body and he needs to get back to a very powerful double leg and high crotch. I believe he will show up when needed.
Highlights include Pic at 125, Boyd at 184 and Schafer at 285.
Kaid looked well at first but it seems he can not take prosperity and is giving up too much at the end of the match. Heil has to open up. He is still are only undefeated wrestler but close matches spell upset from time to time.

There was good and bad last night but there is still two months of the season left and I saw as much good or improvement as i saw bad. Other than possibly Joe, I think the bad can be corrected.

LETS GO POKES!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT