ADVERTISEMENT

One Hell Of An Engineering Feat

2012Bearcat

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2010

Video of SpaceX launch and recovery this morning. Say what you want about Elon but there is no denying his genius.

Not intending to be critical or argumentative, but how is this an advancement over what they’ve already done with landing rockets upright on a flat surface independent of the launch pad structure? Or is it the return to the precise launch site that makes this so extraordinary?

Not intending to be critical or argumentative, but how is this an advancement over what they’ve already done with landing rockets upright on a flat surface independent of the launch pad structure? Or is it the return to the precise launch site that makes this so extraordinary?
Margin for error is less on this capture versus landing on a pad. Quite amazing if you have any experience will controls engineering. Modern computers and probably AI make this possible now. Minute changes have to be done several times a second to thread a needle. Heck landing on a pad is always mind blowing for me. Its straight up sci fi become reality.

I talked with an engineer who worked on Apollo and the Saturn V. The cutting edge computers were ridiculously primitive. I am sure you have seen video of a rocket swinging wildly and going completely out of control. This was a problem with liquid fueled rockets. Sloshing fuel would overwhelm the computers ability to compensate and the feed back would telescope. I asked him how they fixed it. I expected some wiz bang tech breakthrough. His answer. Baffles in the tanks. LOL

They were already doing this? Oh. Well Musk's PR is better then lol

They were already doing this? Oh. Well Musk's PR is better then lol
I’ve seen at least two prior videos where they successfully landed a tall rocket booster on a pad, similar to the lunar lander. The amazing thing with that, at least for me, was the height of the rocket in relation to the narrow width of the base.

DC provided the context to help me appreciate what they did this weekend. Threaded a needle using only gravity, rocket propulsion, navigational jets, and very high tech AI.

Margin for error is less on this capture versus landing on a pad. Quite amazing if you have any experience will controls engineering. Modern computers and probably AI make this possible now. Minute changes have to be done several times a second to thread a needle. Heck landing on a pad is always mind blowing for me. Its straight up sci fi become reality.

I talked with an engineer who worked on Apollo and the Saturn V. The cutting edge computers were ridiculously primitive. I am sure you have seen video of a rocket swinging wildly and going completely out of control. This was a problem with liquid fueled rockets. Sloshing fuel would overwhelm the computers ability to compensate and the feed back would telescope. I asked him how they fixed it. I expected some wiz bang tech breakthrough. His answer. Baffles in the tanks. LOL
Thanks. A friend from OU is an engineer at Space X (also has a PhD from Berkeley in something unpronounceable). No clue what he does exactly. Only that he works with lasers and manipulation of light, and EM has him on speed dial.

I jokingly sent him a text that I was skeptical, as the rocket appears to be dangling from a string as it returns to the “chop sticks”, and the fire on the side of the cylinder looks like those out-of-scale flames from old sci-fi and Godzilla movies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT