ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics

AtownPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2006
Altus
The Russians are out. I’m sure everyone has seen it by now but just in case.

I wonder how much of this is a political stunt and how much of it is fear that their athletes will be targeted and harmed. With the anti Russia sentiment in the western world and the seemingly consistent attempts to start WW3, I can see where the Russian athletes could feel unsafe. Anyone have similar thoughts or is this just more politicians doing things and not caring about the people it affects?

I wonder how much of this is a political stunt and how much of it is fear that their athletes will be targeted and harmed. With the anti Russia sentiment in the western world and the seemingly consistent attempts to start WW3, I can see where the Russian athletes could feel unsafe. Anyone have similar thoughts or is this just more politicians doing things and not caring about the people it affects?
I'm guessing fear for the safety of their athletes is not in the top 100 reasons this is happening.

Tough draws for the US wrestlers on day 1 of wrestling, both going in unseeded and getting randomly drawn in against the 1 seeds. I feel like international wrestling hates the US! I would say it is even a tougher draw for the 1 seed in Amit's bracket though! She is a beast!

Reactions: AtownPoke
Tough draws for the US wrestlers on day 1 of wrestling, both going in unseeded and getting randomly drawn in against the 1 seeds. I feel like international wrestling hates the US! I would say it is even a tougher draw for the 1 seed in Amit's bracket though! She is a beast!
They don’t. And they never did. It WAS a simple case of who happened to pay more.

And home soil was huge. When worlds were in New York, we got some gift calls. And we did ridiculously well at the 1996 Olympics.

But now? UWW has done a phenomenal job of being pretty non- biased. (Mongolian belly dancing notwithstanding)

And it really isn’t like the old days where the entire bracket was random.

There’s a mechanism in place to get seeded now. Compete and win some matches.

If anything, the #1 in GR heavy got SCREWED. He has Mijain second round.

Hildebrandt wins 10-0 and then 7-4 over China to make the semis. Starts at 1115 and she is 6th up.

Her opponent from Mongolia placed 2nd the last two years at worlds. Sarah is 1-2 against her with their last meeting being a 10-0 win.

Do we have any resident women’s wrestling experts? Does Helen have a good shot this go round?

I was surprised that a finalist misses weight, and someone takes their place in the gold medal match. I would have thought it would have been a silver for the person that missed weight and gold for the person they were supposed to wrestle.

I was surprised that a finalist misses weight, and someone takes their place in the gold medal match. I would have thought it would have been a silver for the person that missed weight and gold for the person they were supposed to wrestle.

I'm good with it. Ensures there is a match. The IOC would have lost their minds if a gold medal was given by forfeit.

Do we have any resident women’s wrestling experts? Does Helen have a good shot this go round?

Not an expert by any stretch, but IMO the best two wrestlers are Sakurai (Japan) and Helen, so I would expect that to be the top side semi final match. Helen is looking at two tough but winnable matches to get there. She's pinned her first round match in the finals at Oslo and won a close one against her presumptive second round match, which really only got close when Helen shut down her offense and let Lysak (Poland) go on a late burst to make it close.

The Semis against Sakurai though... is going to be tough. Sakurai completely shut down Helen in Finals at Worlds in 2022 and again in the Semis at Worlds in 2023. If Helen lets it fly she has a much better chance, but if she plays into Sakurai's more methodical/technical focused style, it's going to be really hard to find the points to win. Who ever wins that match should win gold, and the loser should clear the repechage easily enough for Bronze.

So missing weight is a disqualification from the tournament not just a forfeit or something similar. I think it is absolutely the right call, because as, anyone who's done it can tell you, a two day weigh is a whole 'nother animal if your cutting any significant amount of weight at all.

With modern knowledge professional athletes can make MUCH greater one-day cuts than two-day and still maintain performance. Being a DQ for missing weight, instead of a forfeit(s), discourages bad behavior from athletes from weaker countries trying to put all there eggs in one basket for a run a silver by trying to weight bully with no concern of making weight day 2. Not saying this is what Vinesh did at all, I'm pretty sure she just pushed too low (should have been wrestling at 53) and then mismanaged her rehydration/nutrition intake, and couldn't recut fast enough, but the I still think the rule is a good one.

Reactions: vhsalum
So missing weight is a disqualification from the tournament not just a forfeit or something similar. I think it is absolutely the right call, because as, anyone who's done it can tell you, a two day weigh is a whole 'nother animal if your cutting any significant amount of weight at all.

With modern knowledge professional athletes can make MUCH greater one-day cuts than two-day and still maintain performance. Being a DQ for missing weight, instead of a forfeit(s), discourages bad behavior from athletes from weaker countries trying to put all there eggs in one basket for a run a silver by trying to weight bully with no concern of making weight day 2. Not saying this is what Vinesh did at all, I'm pretty sure she just pushed too low (should have been wrestling at 53) and then mismanaged her rehydration/nutrition intake, and couldn't recut fast enough, but the I still think the rule is a good one.

Agreed. But the bigger issue is that there are too little weight classes. 6 at the pinnacle is absurd.

Spencer Lee won 3-2 and 12-2 to advance to semis.
Aaron Brooks won 4-3 and 11-1 to advance to semis.
Helen Maroulis 7-2 and 7-4 to advance to semis.

Semis start at 11:15am CT and we are the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th matches.

Last edited:
Spencer Lee! Into Gold medal. His opponent had a nice move to prevent the first tech but Spencer comes back out and immediately gets 4 more. 14-4 win in first period.
Yeah that little whizzer kick to take those 4 points was pretty slick. He knew he was going over, so he made it his move. But yeah... didn't matter in the slightest, Spencer is a BEAST. LFG USA.

Reactions: WildTurk
Aaron Brooks lost. Not sure what to say. Had no business losing that one it felt like.

Was in deep on a foot hanging on with 12 seconds left and gets exposed from that position. Just have to be smarter there. Hanging on wasn’t enough. Have to hang on and dictate the position. Shame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT