ADVERTISEMENT

Old/Could have/Current

The wrestling program would be in its best position with....................

• John Smith as HC with the same assistants as last year. (Old position)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • With Coleman Scott as HC and Perry as an assistant. (Could have been position)

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • With DT as HC with current assistants. (Current position)

Votes: 63 84.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

DEWrestlingFan

Redshirt
Aug 31, 2005
What do you all think? Is the team better the way it was? Is it better with what everyone thought it was going to be? Or is it better with what it ended up being? My opinion of it is you cannot pass up the opportunity of hiring what could be the next Cael when it comes to coaches. I believe DT was the best choice for the program even if you do have to piss some people off or hurt some feelings by hiring him.

All three were good options but a decision has been made. I’m excited about DT, was excited about Coleman, and would have been excited for John to stay. OSU Wrestling has been fun for me to follow for 30-some years lol. I think the “keep it in the family” argument would have been stronger if more pieces were reliable re: CWC, funding, recent performance, staff, etc. But now we have a modern legend of the sport (who also seems like a genuinely nice person) at the helm and a ton of financial backing. As a fan it’s hard to be mad about that. I’m sure as a friend or relative of the staff it’s easier to be upset. And we won’t really know the outcome of the decision until several years down the line.

All three were good options right?Hard to deny the status of DT and the vision/support that has marshaled around him. We’ll see in a few years what comes to fruition. I can think of some things that probably would have made “keep it in the family” more compelling to the AD but it’s all been discussed pretty thoroughly.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I think the excitement of hiring DT kinda cast a shadow over Coleman and how good of a coach he is and what he brought to the program in just one season. There were very noticeable changes. He did a great job building North Carolina’s program and I had a lot of faith in him getting things on the right track as HC. I can’t cay with certainty he would have continued the practice of hiring within the OSU family but I think he would have make a splash with a new assistant coach and he knew the culture needed to change, which I believe would of been too slow of a transition.

Unfortunately for him, I do believe this came down to money. What Chad Richison was willing to offer if we could get DT was far more than any money we could have raised in several years otherwise. And we never would have got DT without that money to offer. With the new landscape of college athletics you have to have money and a lot of it to be relevant and compete for championships. DT has the potential to be a great HC and put this program back on top but I think that is at least 3-4 years down the road.

I think the excitement of hiring DT kinda cast a shadow over Coleman and how good of a coach he is and what he brought to the program in just one season. There were very noticeable changes. He did a great job building North Carolina’s program and I had a lot of faith in him getting things on the right track as HC. I can’t cay with certainty he would have continued the practice of hiring within the OSU family but I think he would have make a splash with a new assistant coach and he knew the culture needed to change, which I believe would of been too slow of a transition.

Unfortunately for him, I do believe this came down to money. What Chad Richison was willing to offer if we could get DT was far more than any money we could have raised in several years otherwise. And we never would have got DT without that money to offer. With the new landscape of college athletics you have to have money and a lot of it to be relevant and compete for championships. DT has the potential to be a great HC and put this program back on top but I think that is at least 3-4 years down the road.
Coleman was poised to do a great job with the situation and that has been overlooked some.

But, his time horizon was closer to a decade to produce and he wouldn’t have been allowed to remove many certain facets of our Program very easily.

Plus, he had some baggage that needed attention that weighed on some. It’s likely not a big deal at all, but some were flighty over it.

The right choices were made and Coleman has been great about it. I hope he does super moving forward, he deserves it!

Coleman was poised to do a great job with the situation and that has been overlooked some.

But, his time horizon was closer to a decade to produce and he wouldn’t have been allowed to remove many certain facets of our Program very easily.

Plus, he had some baggage that needed attention that weighed on some. It’s likely not a big deal at all, but some were flighty over it.

The right choices were made and Coleman has been great about it. I hope he does super moving forward, he deserves it!
Coleman is a great Cowboy and deserves every good thing OSU alums can throw at him. He IS family and has handled this extremely tough situation with the class befitting a REAL Cowboy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT