ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma High School Wrestling

grumpy_okie

Recruit
Jan 31, 2020
So... I was listening to some nonsensical online presentation during work today, and started poking around on Flo looking at HS rankings and commitments and what not, and found a few things that I thought were pretty interesting and really highlight how great of a state Oklahoma actually is for wrestling.

Oklahoma has 16 kids ranked in the top 20 for their weight, with an average ranking of 9.2.

Looking at the most recent NFHS data we had 4033 HS boys competing in wrestling, that means 1 out of every 252 HS boys wrestling in the state is ranked in the top 20 for their weight. This ratio is second in the nation behind only PA (of course...).

We out perform all surrounding states by A LOT: CO - 7 kids ranked, 5445 total, 1:778; MO - 5, 6317, 1:1263; TX - 3, 12307, 1:4102; KS - 1 4638, 1:4638.

Here are our current ranked kids:

WeightWeight RankYearNameSchoolStateCollege
106​
6​
SOAydan ThomasStillwaterOK
113​
11​
JRChristopher KiserPonca CityOKMichigan
120​
4​
JRBeric JordanStillwaterOKOklahoma State
132​
1​
SRCael HughesStillwaterOKOklahoma State
138​
4​
JRJace RollerBixbyOK
138​
19​
JRHunter HollingsworthEdmond NorthOK
145​
14​
SRCole BrooksCollinsvilleOKWyoming
152​
4​
SOLaDarion LockettStillwaterOK
152​
14​
SOKody RoutledgeEdmond NorthOK
152​
16​
JRClayton Giddens-ButtramBixbyOK
182​
1​
SRBrayden ThompsonStillwaterOKOklahoma State
182​
4​
SRAJ HeegStillwaterOKOklahoma State
195​
10​
SRJersey RobbBixbyOKOklahoma State
195​
12​
SRPayton ThomasMoore HighOKNavy
220​
11​
JROscar WilliamsEdmond NorthOK
285​
16​
JRRichard ThomasEdmond NorthOK

One of the only points of concern, in my opinion, is the degree to which the talent is concentrated in just a few locations. But other than that, Oklahoma High School Wrestling is looking pretty damn good right now.

So... I was listening to some nonsensical online presentation during work today, and started poking around on Flo looking at HS rankings and commitments and what not, and found a few things that I thought were pretty interesting and really highlight how great of a state Oklahoma actually is for wrestling.

Oklahoma has 16 kids ranked in the top 20 for their weight, with an average ranking of 9.2.

Looking at the most recent NFHS data we had 4033 HS boys competing in wrestling, that means 1 out of every 252 HS boys wrestling in the state is ranked in the top 20 for their weight. This ratio is second in the nation behind only PA (of course...).

We out perform all surrounding states by A LOT: CO - 7 kids ranked, 5445 total, 1:778; MO - 5, 6317, 1:1263; TX - 3, 12307, 1:4102; KS - 1 4638, 1:4638.

Here are our current ranked kids:

WeightWeight RankYearNameSchoolStateCollege
106​
6​
SOAydan ThomasStillwaterOK
113​
11​
JRChristopher KiserPonca CityOKMichigan
120​
4​
JRBeric JordanStillwaterOKOklahoma State
132​
1​
SRCael HughesStillwaterOKOklahoma State
138​
4​
JRJace RollerBixbyOK
138​
19​
JRHunter HollingsworthEdmond NorthOK
145​
14​
SRCole BrooksCollinsvilleOKWyoming
152​
4​
SOLaDarion LockettStillwaterOK
152​
14​
SOKody RoutledgeEdmond NorthOK
152​
16​
JRClayton Giddens-ButtramBixbyOK
182​
1​
SRBrayden ThompsonStillwaterOKOklahoma State
182​
4​
SRAJ HeegStillwaterOKOklahoma State
195​
10​
SRJersey RobbBixbyOKOklahoma State
195​
12​
SRPayton ThomasMoore HighOKNavy
220​
11​
JROscar WilliamsEdmond NorthOK
285​
16​
JRRichard ThomasEdmond NorthOK

One of the only points of concern, in my opinion, is the degree to which the talent is concentrated in just a few locations. But other than that, Oklahoma High School Wrestling is looking pretty damn good right now.
Jace Roller could be a real good recruit for 2024 but he always this has a heavy brace on a knee so he has had some problems with knees.

Last edited:
He just came back from ACL surgery so the brace is precautionary. He won’t have it on much longer.
Based on what you are able to say, how likely is he to end up at OSU? He’s taking his visits, which is great. Feels like this is one that is hanging out there a bit longer.

Hard to believe TX has only 3 ranked guys with those participation #s. Willie's 2024 Big Board goes out to 150 -- 12 are from OK and 2 from TX.

Would be a huge advantage for us if they started developing more talent.

It takes a pretty intense program to develop this kind of talent. Bishop Lynch did this in the early 2000's with the Ashmores and Silver kids through Kenny Monday. They fell off and Jerry Best did amazing work in Allen (a powerhouse in all sports). To my knowledge they are still producing some talent, but it takes a pretty strong coach to do that and Texas does not have many of those.

Hard to believe TX has only 3 ranked guys with those participation #s. Willie's 2024 Big Board goes out to 150 -- 12 are from OK and 2 from TX.

Would be a huge advantage for us if they started developing more talent.
Wrestling is certainly on the rise in TX, but from my knowledge I think it’s mostly centered around the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metro area. I’m not sure how popular it is out west and down south in the Austin/Houston areas. Regardless, as long as the sport continues to grow and TX doesn't have any D1 college programs then we should continue to be the beneficiary.

Based on what you are able to say, how likely is he to end up at OSU? He’s taking his visits, which is great. Feels like this is one that is hanging out there a bit longer.

It’s all about fit here at OSU. He wants to come here and can but what does the room look like at 141 and 149? He is good enough for other major programs to plan around him to a degree and that’s what we may fight a bit.

Saying all that, I still think he ends up a cowboy.

Reactions: giddyup and JAY45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT