ADVERTISEMENT

Oh man... it had to be a Brit. Talk about NAILING it with a short essay.

Syskatine

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2018
He so nails it -- the bit about no humor really resonates, too.

A British writer penned the best description of Donald Trump I’ve ever read:

“Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?”

A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface. Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront. Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul. And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist. Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that. He’s not even a spoiled rich-boy, or a greedy fat-cat. He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully. That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead. There are unspoken rules to this stuff – the Queensberry rules of basic decency – and he breaks them all. He punches downwards – which a gentleman should, would, could never do – and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless – and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:

• Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.

• You don’t need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum. God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid. He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart. In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish: ‘My God… what… have… I… created?' If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set.”

giphy.gif

You’re right, that may be the best description of DJT ever written. What’s confusing is there are Trump acolytes that support him for precisely those reasons. I disagree with him about Obama, however. Obama showed none of the “class” characteristics the author credits him with. He was just as much a sniveling rat as Trump, he just hides it, whereas Trump revels in it.

Reactions: NeekReevers
He nailed it alright

He knowns how confirmation bias works.

He knows how cognitive dissonance works.

And he fed you what you’ve been conditioned to want.

That’s what cults do.

The schill account you linked is hilariously obvious propaganda.
no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility,

So, so true. He's so unlikable.

You’re right, that may be the best description of DJT ever written. What’s confusing is there are Trump acolytes that support him for precisely those reasons. I disagree with him about Obama, however. Obama showed none of the “class” characteristics the author credits him with. He was just as much a sniveling rat as Trump, he just hides it, whereas Trump revels in it.
Man Obama was classy, if nothing else. That's crazy talk. What did he do that wasn't classy?

Man Obama was classy, if nothing else. That's crazy talk. What did he do that wasn't classy?
Obama oozed “Ivy League Cool,” an insincere outward appearance that he cares about something other than himself. His entire presidency was a textbook example of how a leader can divide and conquer the people in his country so that he can exert power.

Reactions: squeak
Obama oozed “Ivy League Cool,” an insincere outward appearance that he cares about something other than himself. His entire presidency was a textbook example of how a leader can divide and conquer the people in his country so that he can exert power.
Obama was nothing more than an "orator". Sinatra of politics.

Ahh, the most unpardonable sin Obama could commit! He was uppity.

His entire presidency was nothing but division and completely classless. Of course as a loyal subservient cult member you only listen to the words that are spoken and ignore the actions that are taken.

Sys in every thread.

200w.gif

Since when WIGAF about any Brits opinion? GFY. 😂

My gawd OP. Your obsession of all things Trump is clinical. Seek help.

The best part about that essay? He goes right down the checklist of you dumbasses and your cult. I'll bet it hit hit a nerve!

Uppity? No. Ivy League snooty? Absolutely.
Mmm hmmm. Tell me he's uppity without using the word uppity.

Ask your son if your criticism of him -- cut and paste it -- is a euphemism for "uppity."

Yer almost as funny as Jerry and Dean. 🤣
Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever....... He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.
No wonder you love him!

The best part about that essay? He goes right down the checklist of you dumbasses and your cult. I'll bet it hit hit a nerve!
How are all of those kids buried in student loans doing today? Obama destroyed the student loan program that was working, replaced with his and made a bunch of kids slaves to government for decades. But hey he said it in a classy manner, never mind the results. SMFH

How are all of those kids buried in student loans doing today? Obama destroyed the student loan program that was working, replaced with his and made a bunch of kids slaves to government for decades. But hey he said it in a classy manner, never mind the results. SMFH
Where's my stimulus?

Sys is the perfect minion.

Only questions what he’s told to question.

Will recite anything he’s told by his leaders

Will ignore anything not presented by his lords.

Just blind, unflinching loyalty.
Sounds like soiled britches Biden.

Mmm hmmm. Tell me he's uppity without using the word uppity.

Ask your son if your criticism of him -- cut and paste it -- is a euphemism for "uppity."
Ivy League Cool and Ivy League Snooty are descriptions of a certain type of student that attends or has attended one of those schools. It typifies a casual condescension of assumed superiority, a relaxed demeanor that portrays the belief that everyone can see the “cool” emanating from one’s body. That attitude pours out of Obama like perspiration. Uppity, OTOH, suggests racist tones, which I’m sure is what you want to charge without actually saying so. Uppity is pretty close to the exact opposite of Ivy League Cool. Uppity belies a certain degree of anger and retribution against one who thinks he is superior. Ironically a person would be “uppity” toward someone being “Ivy League Snooty.” Your comparison fails. Miserably.

Last edited:
Dimms love an orator. Curious George "Barack" was perfect for dimms. Still a few on here that want his schlong.

You just crib other people these days.

I’m guessing you’re just recycling your wife in this case.
I think @davidallen has a well deserved reputation on this board of never saying something that hasn’t been cleared by his Google algorithms first.

Obama is a giant nerd. I never understood why anyone thought he was cool.

Obama has more class than Trump, but Trump is completely classless so I’m not sure that means much.

The Trump bar is so low even SIL can't worm beneath it.

drunk crash GIF
The character difference between the two is imperceptible. They are both unreliable self possessed narcissistic pathological liars. The difference is in the presentation. Obama hides it, Trump wallows in it. It’s up to the observer to decide which presentation he prefers. Or he can be like me and despise them both because he despises any unreliable self possessed narcissistic pathological liar.

The character difference between the two is imperceptible. They are both unreliable self possessed narcissistic pathological liars. The difference is in the presentation. Obama hides it, Trump wallows in it. It’s up to the observer to decide which presentation he prefers. Or he can be like me and despise them both because he despises any unreliable self possessed narcissistic pathological liar.
Wow. Your hatred of Obama is wild. It's as bad as Hillary. At some point you gotta wonder why?

• Haha
Reactions: Alpha Woke
Wow. Your hatred of Obama is wild. It's as bad as Hillary. At some point you gotta wonder why?
Why do you wonder why? I explained my hatred for both Obama and Trump in precise language in the comment that caused your reply. And for the record there is *no politician alive today* for whom I invest as much hatred as that I have for Hillary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT