ADVERTISEMENT

Obama and the super majority

HighStickHarry

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2006
The fall from grace has been more than even most of us on the conservative circle jerk politics board could have predicted. How does this happen over six years and a tailwind of anti bush momentum?

Republicans have nothing to offer on the big issues. Their numbers as far as popularity are terrible. This midterm is no doubt a referendum on president Obama and his detached, head in the sand, secretive and exclusively politically motivated administration. He is a fanatically idealist who preaches to and preys on the least informed Americans. The seek to exploit those who do not closely follow the mechanisms of this government and its effect on economics.

Obama, with his arrogance, is about to set the Democrats back. It's going to be interesting to see if all of the Democrats in congress side with him.

Many months before the election it was clear democrats would run away from Obama. If Obama keeps true to his past, I suspect you may see many democrats side with republicans to push legislation or even override vetoes. The bottom line for dems is political survival and going against Obama will be much easier now especially if Obama doubles down with his dictatorship.

I think Republicans and conservatives are reading way too much into the midterm election results. They are nothing more than a rejection of an entire system and people fed up with the status quo. It's the same thing that happened in 2008 except the Republicans were in power. The Democrats thought they had won the country for 50 years and conservatism was done. Now Republicans are thinking the same thing. I don't believe people that voted for Obama were voting FOR Republicans, they were voting against the status quo. If a credible 3rd party existed, they would have cleaned up on Tuesday.

Tuesday's results mean nothing more than the Republicans having to accept more blame for the cluster that is Washington when the 2016 Presidential election rolls around.

Originally posted by NeekReevers:
I think Republicans and conservatives are reading way too much into the midterm election results. They are nothing more than a rejection of an entire system and people fed up with the status quo. It's the same thing that happened in 2008 except the Republicans were in power. The Democrats thought they had won the country for 50 years and conservatism was done. Now Republicans are thinking the same thing. I don't believe people that voted for Obama were voting FOR Republicans, they were voting against the status quo. If a credible 3rd party existed, they would have cleaned up on Tuesday.

Tuesday's results mean nothing more than the Republicans having to accept more blame for the cluster that is Washington when the 2016 Presidential election rolls around.
I don't disagree with this. But if the Repubs can put out some moderate legislation, it will force Obama and other democrats to accept something in the middle or they will face being represented as the extreme obstructionists that they have accused the tea party of being for the past 4 years. Assuming of course that the Repubs can actually pass some reasonable legislation.

Justin

Originally posted by aix_xpert:

I don't disagree with this. But if the Repubs can put out some moderate legislation, it will force Obama and other democrats to accept something in the middle or they will face being represented as the extreme obstructionists that they have accused the tea party of being for the past 4 years. Assuming of course that the Repubs can actually pass some reasonable legislation.

Justin
I agree. I just don't have much faith in the happening with the likes of Mitch McConnell in charge. I do think immigration reform is ripe for the taking and the party that can take the lead on that issue has an advantage in the future.

Originally posted by NeekReevers:

No republicans, conservatives, articles, speakers, etc, that I'm privy to think this is some kind of ushering in to 50 years of conservatism. You'll need to substantiate that.

The only way I could be onboard with your statement that they were voting against the status quo is to assume the status quo is an Obama run government with Reid as the enabler/running cover for him. At the state level this was a very clear message that there has been lefty overreach. How does that not also reflect at the Federal level, albiet to a smaller degree.

Largely I feel you are poo- pooing the results, which I feel is largely an error on your part. I agree with your last statement, but it also gives the R's First Mover advantage, and the President is a known commodity with little to none goodwill left with the electorate. As mentioned above, he may torpedo his side even further.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT