ADVERTISEMENT

Non 24: It's Christmas Eve......

JimmyBob

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
And I'm watching the best ever Christmas movie: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Second place: A Christmas Carol starring Alstair Simm, an oldie but the best.

Any other favorites??

A few of mine I watch every Christmas.
51umAeIbNiL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

p3554929_p_v10_aa.jpg

220px-NationalLampoonsChristmasVacationPoster.JPG

MV5BMjA4Njg1MDcwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzAxNjM3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

MV5BMmRjZGUyMzYtMjMyYy00ZTFkLWEyZjktYjA5NjY4MjgzZTcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5NjEzNA@@._V1_.jpg

Reactions: iasooner2000
[/QUOTE]
You are absolutely correct about A Christmas Carol. The version with Alastair Sim is far and away the best. Most of the actors in this came up on the stage. They knew how to hold audiences in the palm of their hands. We watch this every year at Christmas. And, by the way, Dickens was a literary genius.

1. White Christmas. Probably not the best Christmas movie by objective standards, but it has a special place in my heart. My dad would walk around the house singing the soundtrack from just before Thanksgiving until Mardi Gras. TBS actually aired it for 4th of July holiday one year when there was a heat wave on the east coast, and we dropped everything to watch it. And Danny Kaye’s G-Rated humor was dog gone funny, too.

2. Wonderful Life. Gets me verklempt every time I see it.

3. A Christmas Story. I was in my early teens when it was released, so I sort of grew up with it.

Honorable mentions: Scrooged (Bill Murray), Christmas Vacation, Diehard, Trading Places.

Of others not previously listed
1) Die Hard
2) Elf
3) The Year without Santa Claus (Mr Heat Miser was my favorite growing up)

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
I like the Geo C Scott version of the CC although he barks like Patton throughout. The version with Patrick Stewart is okay but the old one is the standard

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
I like the Geo C Scott version of the CC although he barks like Patton throughout. The version with Patrick Stewart is okay but the old one is the standard
I think GCS kind of gave us the Patton that we’ve become accustomed to. Patton actually had a high pitched nasal voice rather than the rough, grizzled barking voice that Scott delivered. I guess this is how legends are made.

Ok, so I watched some clips of GSC as Scrooge, then some of the better clips from Patton, and now I’m in a 24hr YouTube penalty box for commenting that “Monty was a c*nt”. It’s a f*cked up world we live in.

It's O.K. Sleep well tonight because it will always be Alstair Simm. (This promo brought to you by Mark West Pinot Noir.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT