ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Suriano

Only he and his father know for sure. I don't think he was used to a more rural campus. His mentality didn't fit the room. He was homesick. He wanted to be the big fish in the little pond. Maybe Rutgers offered more money. All of these or none of these may be true.

Reactions: CrazyChuckCarbo
Only he and his father know for sure. I don't think he was used to a more rural campus. His mentality didn't fit the room. He was homesick. He wanted to be the big fish in the little pond. Maybe Rutgers offered more money. All of these or none of these may be true.

The big fish in a small pond is just a jab at the kid.

He broke his ankle (no chance he was wrestling for months) and was told to make weight to play tricks on opponents as a team player, then had two guys at his weight recruited. You’d wonder about the adults you’re around, wouldn’t you?

Two guys at 125 recruited? I don't understand why Nolf didn't leave when Berge was recruited by that logic. NS was certainly not worried about losing his starting job to any recruit who was on board before he left. People leave jobs,marriages,etc. all of the time to pursue other opportunities- things don't always fit as we hope they will.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Two guys at 125 recruited? I don't understand why Nolf didn't leave when Berge was recruited by that logic. NS was certainly not worried about losing his starting job to any recruit who was on board before he left. People leave jobs,marriages,etc. all of the time to pursue other opportunities- things don't always fit as we hope they will.

We don’t know both sides. As an outsider (what 99.9999% of us on message boards are) and a former HS wrestler who was hurt a lot while dropping 20% of my body weight, it makes no sense to me why you would tell an injured athlete to hold weight. That didn’t sit well with me when I had to do it in HS, and it doesn’t sit well as a grown up.

There is also the sliding scale of scholarships. As I hear it, it’s common for a kids “next year scholarship” to be based on previous years placement at NCAAs. If you give that money to kids in his weight, when you know your guy is at worst an AA save a fluke injury, and he sacrifices his recovery for the team, you’re not doing right by the kid. Coaches don’t have that obligation, but when people on message boards throw out “big fish small pond”, they should look objectively at the issue first and not with scarlet (ru fans like me) or blue (PSU fans) tinged glasses.

He did go from being the 6/th best wrestler on his team to the best wrestler on his new team- It isn't a stretch to think he likes the attention.

The big fish in a small pond is just a jab at the kid.

He broke his ankle (no chance he was wrestling for months) and was told to make weight to play tricks on opponents as a team player, then had two guys at his weight recruited. You’d wonder about the adults you’re around, wouldn’t you?
One, you're projecting. Two, I'm not going to waste the time of OSU board members who do not care about the final outcome of the question that doesn't pertain to OSU.

You can't reduce someone's scholarship against their will or based on their performance at nationals. It can only be willing, academic, or disciplinary.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I thought technically, scholarships were based on year by year. Not that I happens often but schools have the right to adjust

That was my understanding also. And that they could only be adjusted mid year if the athlete became ineligible or was disciplined for some kind of violation.

Not since 2014. Four year scholarships per Big 12 rule.

Big 12 will give full-cost-of-attendance scholarships and multi-year grants

"December 01, 2014 03:07 PM

Every Big 12 school will provide more aid for its athletes starting next academic year, the conference announced Monday.

The initiatives include full-cost-of-attendance scholarships and multi-year grants. They will also provide continuing education opportunities, which will allow athletes who leave college before they earn a degree to return and continue working toward graduation while receiving financial aid."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/article4227736.html

Reactions: Wrassler17
Not since 2014. Four year scholarships per Big 12 rule.

Big 12 will give full-cost-of-attendance scholarships and multi-year grants

"December 01, 2014 03:07 PM

Every Big 12 school will provide more aid for its athletes starting next academic year, the conference announced Monday.

The initiatives include full-cost-of-attendance scholarships and multi-year grants. They will also provide continuing education opportunities, which will allow athletes who leave college before they earn a degree to return and continue working toward graduation while receiving financial aid."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/article4227736.html

Does the Big 10 have the same rule?

That does make sense with what I've heard from how PSU does business. Small package for the first year, increase based on performance.

So yeah, it's really hard for Cael and any other college coach to REDUCE a scholarship. Increasing it is easy. So, if Cael drew a line in the sand that says he didn't meet X to increase his scholarship, then I guess I can understand the Suriano's frustration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT