ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Gillespie On Civilty In Politics

Okay article and true, but he omits the largest offender/shaper of how people perceive politics. That is the 24/7 commentary that masquerades as “news.” Too many people get their political views validated by people who feed them what they want to hear. Once heard it’s gospel.

I have friends on both sides who do little if any research on their own. I’ve often told them if you took your run of the mill news articles and substituted “x” for one party and “y” for another then called the political figures by “Mr/Mrs 1,2,3 and so on,” people would see that most of those dbags are indistinguishable from the other depending on which party is in power and which isn’t. More importantly you would spot bias and lies almost instantly since one would be forced to rely on memory and seductive reasoning.

Civility has been out of the equation a long time, interesting that it’s just recently seen as an issue and gotten as much ink as it has.

Reactions: Ponca Dan
Okay article and true, but he omits the largest offender/shaper of how people perceive politics. That is the 24/7 commentary that masquerades as “news.” Too many people get their political views validated by people who feed them what they want to hear. Once heard it’s gospel.

I have friends on both sides who do little if any research on their own. I’ve often told them if you took your run of the mill news articles and substituted “x” for one party and “y” for another then called the political figures by “Mr/Mrs 1,2,3 and so on,” people would see that most of those dbags are indistinguishable from the other depending on which party is in power and which isn’t. More importantly you would spot bias and lies almost instantly since one would be forced to rely on memory and seductive reasoning.

Civility has been out of the equation a long time, interesting that it’s just recently seen as an issue and gotten as much ink as it has.
Very thoughtful! I agree with almost all of it. Good job!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT