ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

I hope David isn't peaking these guys too early. They look lean and hungry.
These guys are already in shape from some really tough summer practices. I saw or heard or read somewhere that current practices are short, fun and all the guys really look forward to it. That sound like another program you've all heard of that always performs well at NCAAs?

Sure seems like CM is going to be our 197lber. Anyone hearing anything else?
This is the first time I’m seeing that, but I’m also about as not plugged-in as anyone

I just can’t see it if Luke’s healthy but who knows. People are citing CM getting alot of attention but so is BT (imo) and we know he’s redshirting. I think DT is the perfect coach for an old war horse like Luke.

I agree. He's beat Elam and got screwed in a fs match against Cardenas. Healthy he's right there and I think he soars up the rankings after CKLV. That tourney will answer damn near everything about our line up.
He looked great at cklv last year until injury. Was never the same after. I’m really interested in 133-149 and how that will play out.

As a “casual fan” I can tell you none of us questioned him, we knew what he was going through.

As a “casual fan” my question was why were always injured and other teams were healthy at nationals while we weren’t?
As an avid fan, I can ask you why you’re a casual fan?!

But, I can answer this one. We weren’t healthy.

The cutting wasn’t healthy, the nutrition direction wasn’t healthy, the grind the athletes were put through wasn’t healthy…these guys weren’t John Smith.

John Smith expected John Smith and didn’t teach stuff he didn’t know. He did whatever it took to win (ethically) as a Wrestler and expected that same commitment. The problem with our injuries were that it was really hard to get a John Smith.

He did win that match he hurt his shoulder in. Could barely move but still managed to win it I believe e. I think he MF out after that match.
You are correct. I was there and he had the match well in hand and was going for bonus. Shot in and let out an awful yell and grabbed his shoulder. Wasn't sure at the time if it was the shoulder or a pec tear. He gutted out the win. Never doubt he has a TON of heart. With DT helping him clean up somethings and if he can add just a little to his game he's gonna be dangerous.

And for the record its pretty much back and forth between Luke and Cody. Without real separation why wouldn't you RS the freshman?

As an avid fan, I can ask you why you’re a casual fan?!

But, I can answer this one. We weren’t healthy.

The cutting wasn’t healthy, the nutrition direction wasn’t healthy, the grind the athletes were put through wasn’t healthy…these guys weren’t John Smith.

John Smith expected John Smith and didn’t teach stuff he didn’t know. He did whatever it took to win (ethically) as a Wrestler and expected that same commitment. The problem with our injuries were that it was really hard to get a John Smith.
I say casual because I live 12 hours away and haven’t been to a match since leaving Tulsa almost 7 years ago. Still watch every match that is broadcasted, just not “around” the program anymore.

You are correct. I was there and he had the match well in hand and was going for bonus. Shot in and let out an awful yell and grabbed his shoulder. Wasn't sure at the time if it was the shoulder or a pec tear. He gutted out the win. Never doubt he has a TON of heart. With DT helping him clean up somethings and if he can add just a little to his game he's gonna be dangerous.

And for the record its pretty much back and forth between Luke and Cody. Without real separation why wouldn't you RS the freshman?
I trust the coaches to make the right decisions. I'm also not saying you are wrong either but I think you can also make the case if a true frosh is already even with a RS SR go with the true frosh.

As a confirmed idiot, I would hope they wrestle Surber.

First, he’s been nothing but a first class ambassador for the program who has done anything and everything asked of him. I also think if he stays healthy he has the potential to AA given the training partners he has.

Second, giving Merrill a RS year with the absurd level of training partners around him would do wonders for his development. Also pretty sure 197 clears out a bit after this season. Could set Merrill up really well.

Again, keep in mind that I am very very dumb so this could be wildly wrong.

First, he’s been nothing but a first class ambassador for the program who has done anything and everything asked of him. I also think if he stays healthy he has the potential to AA given the training partners he has.

Second, giving Merrill a RS year with the absurd level of training partners around him would do wonders for his development. Also pretty sure 197 clears out a bit after this season. Could set Merrill up really well.

I agree 100%. We can both be dumbasses. 👍

I trust the coaches to make the right decisions. I'm also not saying you are wrong either but I think you can also make the case if a true frosh is already even with a RS SR go with the true frosh.
I just don’t think that’s a good idea. Neither are a probable champ. With a RS Cody could be. Luke is very much so a potential AA this year. Let Cody get ready and then make a 4 year run at titles

I just can’t see it if Luke’s healthy but who knows. People are citing CM getting alot of attention but so is BT (imo) and we know he’s redshirting. I think DT is the perfect coach for an old war horse like Luke.

CM is a BIG time prospect so a lot will depend on if he is clearly the better guy.

Luke is a great kid but I don’t think he has the ceiling or health history to be counted on. Hard to see AA potential from him.

CM is a guy you would project and hope will be a Saturday night guy in the next few years.

I just don’t think that’s a good idea. Neither are a probable champ. With a RS Cody could be. Luke is very much so a potential AA this year. Let Cody get ready and then make a 4 year run at titles
I say this as someone who is a massive, massive Surber fan. I am rooting for the kid hard. I LOVE watching him wrestle. I find the AA talk around Surber kind of odd. He just has never come close to being an AA. That doesn't mean he can't be an AA. Maybe this staff unlocks something in him (and he stays healthy) but we aren't talking about a guy who keeps getting knocked out in the blood round here.

All that being said, I've posted a million times I'm team RS. I would redshirt every single guy I could. I'm just saying if DT is really committed to putting out our best lineup I'm not 100% convinced Luke will be our best option at 197 come March.

Last edited:
Reactions: cearle462
I say this as someone who is a massive, massive Surber fan. I am rooting for the kid hard. I LOVE watching him wrestle. I find the AA talk around Surber kind of odd. He just has never come close to being an AA. That doesn't mean he can't be an AA. Maybe this staff unlocks something in him (and he stays healthy).

All that being said, I've posted a million times I'm team RS. I would redshirt every single guy I could. I'm just saying if DT is really committed to putting out our best lineup I'm not 100% convinced Luke will be our best option at 197 come March.
I think some people forget that the last few years that 197 has been a MONSTER. Its been one of the deepest weights in the country with multiple world medalists with Sloan, Cardenas, Elam and Warner. Its lightened up a little and if he stays healthy and with DT, Merrill, and now Zahid to work out with I think Surber gets it done.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I think some people forget that the last few years that 197 has been a MONSTER. Its been one of the deepest weights in the country with multiple world medalists with Sloan, Cardenas, Elam and Warner. Its lightened up a little and if he stays healthy and with DT, Merrill, and now Zahid to work out with I think Surber gets it done.
197 is still tough though. Five returning AAs from last years plus a former champ (who no one knows what to expect from). I'm just saying on the list of weights we have a chance to AA at 197 might be our weakest weight. And this is assuming Surber is 100% all year.

CM is a BIG time prospect so a lot will depend on if he is clearly the better guy.

Luke is a great kid but I don’t think he has the ceiling or health history to be counted on. Hard to see AA potential from him.

CM is a guy you would project and hope will be a Saturday night guy in the next few years.
Saturday Morning Dancing GIF by Lucas and Friends by RV AppStudios

I say this as someone who is a massive, massive Surber fan. I am rooting for the kid hard. I LOVE watching him wrestle. I find the AA talk around Surber kind of odd. He just has never come close to being an AA. That doesn't mean he can't be an AA. Maybe this staff unlocks something in him (and he stays healthy) but we aren't talking about a guy who keeps getting knocked out in the blood round here.

I just think his health and the coaching staff/partners will have made a difference. 197 has cleared out and were talking about Elam and Buchanan being favorites... That is not the same thing as Brooks and Hidlay. Luke has absolutely shown that he can hang with the likes of Elam and Buchanan. Just my two cents.

Reactions: SlickWillie2018
Well basically what Howie said. Same message.

I agree. Surber has been a trooper and I’d like to see him go out with a bang. Unless CM is just miles better than Surber than I think he should redshirt.

With Luke’s health issues, if they aren’t the type that were inflicted by the program, it may be a moot point. I hope not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT