ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

My advice to DT & staff for this team is to redshirt all wrestlers that have a redshirt available & then become a power the following year. The weights will clear out somewhat for 25-26. The Cowboys have enough depth to be competitive this year by going the redshirt route.

A couple months back I put together a line up that excluded JW. Unfortunately that is now for sure the case. From what I've heard and from the OPC's its pretty easy to put together a complete line up.

125- Spratley- how can you not be high on this kid?

133- Hughes - at least eventually and if he wants to start. Early we could see Reece or maybe JJ a couple matches.

141- Jamison- I absolutely think he'd be better at 49 but Carter is heavier. I think with the new staff closely monitoring his diet (the last staff did not) he can hopefully maintain much better. I think possibly sitting him here and there through out the season could help as well. If Carter somehow drops some more weight or craps the bed at 49 we might see them flip spots or Tagen just sliding into 49. I think Tagen scores more points at NCAAs at 49 and thats really what its all about.

149- Young- great kid, I've always been a fan. He's a LOT bigger and stronger now and has added some funk to his wrestling. Would love to see him put together a full productive year, healthy and strong.

157- Travis or Fish- When Fish arrived Travis was beating him but the gap has closed some. Fish has a RS and Travis does not. Best guy goes imo.

165- Amine- excited to see the DT factor at work in this guy. Not much available in the way of backups so staying healthy is big here.

174-Hamiti- this guy has always been fun to watch and now we get to watch him in Orange! His funky style combined w/ DT raising his technique, less of a weight cut and stud workout partners and we should see pure entertainment at this weight. Not to much in the way of backups here either. Worst case scenario of a season ending injury maybe they pull BTs shirt? I hope not but hearing BT is making great strides and I love it. Lord knows I've been hard on the guy lol.

184- Plott- hard to believe this will be his last year! Last season he made a huge jumps going up a weight. Now we get to see the DT factor w/ Dustin, maybe more than any other Cowboy. I'd look for Robb to fill in here and there if Dustin needs a rest. Hearing great things about Jersey, works hard and lives right!

197- Surber- please, please, PAH-LEEZE let Luke stay healthy this year! Always been a fan of Luke. Always ready to visit with you and the guy works his tail off. Excited to see the DT factor in him as well and would love for Luke to end his career on the podium where he belongs! Look for Haas or Robb to fill in if Luke needs a break. According to all reports Merrill is everything he was/is billed to be and I think he remains in RS no matter what. The future is bright at 197 for the Pokes.

285-Hendrickson- What a tremendous get for the Cowboys in the offseason. The previous staff did a tremendous job opening the doors for all these transfers. With DT working with Wyatt I think the chances for a title are sky high!

Stacked line up for the Pokes and it should be a crazy fun year. If you can, get your ass to Vegas to watch the CKLV! First beer is on me.

Fartz out ✌️

A couple months back I put together a line up that excluded JW. Unfortunately that is now for sure the case. From what I've heard and from the OPC's its pretty easy to put together a complete line up.

125- Spratley- how can you not be high on this kid?

133- Hughes - at least eventually and if he wants to start. Early we could see Reece or maybe JJ a couple matches.

141- Jamison- I absolutely think he'd be better at 49 but Carter is heavier. I think with the new staff closely monitoring his diet (the last staff did not) he can hopefully maintain much better. I think possibly sitting him here and there through out the season could help as well. If Carter somehow drops some more weight or craps the bed at 49 we might see them flip spots or Tagen just sliding into 49. I think Tagen scores more points at NCAAs at 49 and thats really what its all about.

149- Young- great kid, I've always been a fan. He's a LOT bigger and stronger now and has added some funk to his wrestling. Would love to see him put together a full productive year, healthy and strong.

157- Travis or Fish- When Fish arrived Travis was beating him but the gap has closed some. Fish has a RS and Travis does not. Best guy goes imo.

165- Amine- excited to see the DT factor at work in this guy. Not much available in the way of backups so staying healthy is big here.

174-Hamiti- this guy has always been fun to watch and now we get to watch him in Orange! His funky style combined w/ DT raising his technique, less of a weight cut and stud workout partners and we should see pure entertainment at this weight. Not to much in the way of backups here either. Worst case scenario of a season ending injury maybe they pull BTs shirt? I hope not but hearing BT is making great strides and I love it. Lord knows I've been hard on the guy lol.

184- Plott- hard to believe this will be his last year! Last season he made a huge jumps going up a weight. Now we get to see the DT factor w/ Dustin, maybe more than any other Cowboy. I'd look for Robb to fill in here and there if Dustin needs a rest. Hearing great things about Jersey, works hard and lives right!

197- Surber- please, please, PAH-LEEZE let Luke stay healthy this year! Always been a fan of Luke. Always ready to visit with you and the guy works his tail off. Excited to see the DT factor in him as well and would love for Luke to end his career on the podium where he belongs! Look for Haas or Robb to fill in if Luke needs a break. According to all reports Merrill is everything he was/is billed to be and I think he remains in RS no matter what. The future is bright at 197 for the Pokes.

285-Hendrickson- What a tremendous get for the Cowboys in the offseason. The previous staff did a tremendous job opening the doors for all these transfers. With DT working with Wyatt I think the chances for a title are sky high!

Stacked line up for the Pokes and it should be a crazy fun year. If you can, get your ass to Vegas to watch the CKLV! First beer is on me.

Fartz out ✌️
This is good stuff, thanks for sharing. Would rather see Jamison at 149 as I believe that he would have more success there. I have heard his strength is that of a trojan horse so hopefully the cut doesn't take away from that old man grip.

Is there any chance Cody Merrill can go as a true freshman? He won't be physically behind ... that's for sure. That is a man child right there.

This is good stuff, thanks for sharing. Would rather see Jamison at 149 as I believe that he would have more success there. I have heard his strength is that of a trojan horse so hopefully the cut doesn't take away from that old man grip.
Is there any chance Cody Merrill can go as a true freshman? He won't be physically behind ... that's for sure. That is a man child right there.
Tagen is crazy strong. He's like a smaller Ringer.

Merrill is a stud and could probably go. A RS will do wonders for him though and I think its the right decision.

And if any of you guys needed anymore motivation to put Vegas on your vacation list, here is the number of top 15 guys (currently on Flo rankings) that will be at each weight at the CKLV:

125- 11 of the top 15 including last years NCAA champ (Spratley ranked #7)
133- 7 (no ranked Cowboy)
141- 9 including last years champ (Tagen #10)
149- 10 including last years champ (no ranked Cowboy)
157- 11 including 2,3, and 5-9 (Travis #13)
165- 10 (Amine #6)
174- 7 including #'s 3, 4, 5 (Hamiti #5)
184- 9 including last years champ and of course runner up (Plott #3)
197- 7 including ol' AJ 🤣 (Surber #19)
285- 8 - looking at a semis w/ Wyatt, Feldman, Schultz and Bastida (Wyatt #2)

And if any of you guys needed anymore motivation to put Vegas on your vacation list, here is the number of top 15 guys (currently on Flo rankings) that will be at each weight at the CKLV:

125- 11 of the top 15 including last years NCAA champ (Spratley ranked #7)
133- 7 (no ranked Cowboy)
141- 9 including last years champ (Tagen #10)
149- 10 including last years champ (no ranked Cowboy)
157- 11 including 2,3, and 5-9 (Travis #13)
165- 10 (Amine #6)
174- 7 including #'s 3, 4, 5 (Hamiti #5)
184- 9 including last years champ and of course runner up (Plott #3)
197- 7 including ol' AJ 🤣 (Surber #19)
285- 8 - looking at a semis w/ Wyatt, Feldman, Schultz and Bastida (Wyatt #2)
When is that tourney?

December 6-7th. Hotels are filling up, the NFR is going on at the same time. Last year the tourney was like the 2nd and 3rd and missed the NFR by a week.
I know that we're Cowboys on this site but how many of us know that NFR is National Finals Rodeo

I'm glad we got DT but do we really want DT's

Somebody recently “heard from the OPC” but do we care what the Orthodox Presbyterian Church thinks about wrestling

CSTAR may be of interest to non-OSU people but hopefully we don't need Comprehensive Substance Treatment and Rehabilitation

It would be nice if you could use real words rather that acronyms. Anyway, Go Pokes in both events

We will be in LV, NV for the PRCA NFR that weekend. AFAIK, we can make the semifinals of the CKLV on Saturday. Hope to see a lot of OSU and CWCRTC fans there supporting DT and our PPL. I will be sure my OOTD includes orange.
Love it lol!
By the way tix are $50 cash for all sessions, so really cheap. Also I was really surprised at the setup when I went last year. There's not much in the way of actual stands at the event. Its in a very large event center, the mats are laid out in a rectangle pattern like you'd expect and the two center mats are raised. There is a barrier around the mats and a section of floor seats at each mat. Basically (using my Flo app and getting alerts) you get up and go from mat to mat as an OSU wrestler is wrestling. That may sound like a bad thing to most people but in reality its awesome. There was never a match I was more than 20 feet from and some I was ten feet from. It's literally RIGHT THERE, everything, the match, other wrestlers and the coaches. It was a little comical as you'd see 25-30 people in orange get up and move in a group at the same time. But, you were basically sitting next to parents and family and coaches wives and some radical fans. We made so many great friends out there. And of course when you walk out of the event and into the Westgate there is a huge bar there where everyone would congregate and visit.

We didn't stay at the Westgate (thats where the teams and most parents stay) we were downtown on Fremont at the Nugget because we like it. Taking an Uber back and forth both days was no big deal.

Mr.Earl and KC Scott and I will be there. We were there last yearend enjoyed it and the set up is as Howie describes. We are staying at the Luxor this year as Westgate was already booked. See you all there.

Reactions: DPJ and AtownPoke
...does not Cody M have a younger brother who is a talented wrestler?...any story on him?...thanks...........
Yes. He’s ranked right behind Mocco. I don’t have a clue if it’s true but I’ve heard the brothers won’t be attending the same college.

Yes. He’s ranked right behind Mocco. I don’t have a clue if it’s true but I’ve heard the brothers won’t be attending the same college.
I think it depends on weight class, if they both are 197 or both HWT then they obviously wouldn't. But they are definitely not locks to attend the same college since they attended different HS Cody's senior year

@McScoreley

You are on the PSU board basically saying DT is writing big checks and when it comes to his goals for Oklahoma State next season. Can you point me to the interview you got this from? I never once remember DT insinuating anything about National Championship or bust next year.

He's wisely hyping up the honeymoon phase right now. Ultimately, DT will be graded on how his team performs next year. He has a ton of proven talent (the 3 transfers and Plott) and potential (Spratley, Hughes, Jamison) as well.

He's declared winning the national title as his focus for next year. Big check to write when his team seems to be a clear 3rd right now but I respect it.

Cael has always been a big "underpromise, overdeliver kind of guy" Even last year before the season started, he said I don't even set benchmarks like 10 All Americans, scoring record, we have a good team but it's up to the kids to perform.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
@McScoreley

You are on the PSU board basically saying DT is writing big checks and when it comes to his goals for Oklahoma State next season. Can you point me to the interview you got this from? I never once remember DT insinuating anything about National Championship or bust next year.
Sure - I didn't say it was National Title or bust. I said it's his focus and I respect it.

@McScoreley

He's wisely hyping up the honeymoon phase right now. Ultimately, DT will be graded on how his team performs next year. He has a ton of proven talent (the 3 transfers and Plott) and potential (Spratley, Hughes, Jamison) as well.

He's declared winning the national title as his focus for next year. Big check to write when his team seems to be a clear 3rd right now but I respect it.

Cael has always been a big "underpromise, overdeliver kind of guy" Even last year before the season started, he said I don't even set benchmarks like 10 All Americans, scoring record, we have a good team but it's up to the kids to perform.
Well I can speak to some of it. The closest thing I can say that he said in public was on that video yesterday but inside the room he’s been very bold from what I’ve heard. There are no bones about what the expectations are and what he’s expecting out of each guy. He’s all in on winning RIGHT NOW!

I guess I need to walk a thin line when posting on both boards since I'm effectively playing both sides. I am on the record saying the results from DT's coaching will be very evident soon in your wrestlers performance and @AtownPoke will attest I've played devils advocate multiple times.

Maybe I took what he said out of context but he said winning a National Championship as the next move for him and I said I respect it. I used the wrong term here since "writing a check" refers to a guarantee so my bad on that.

Sure - I didn't say it was National Title or bust. I said it's his focus and I respect it.

Yeah but you seem to be saying he is over promising with big checks from a team that is a clear third best. From that video he doesn't even say anything about a national championship next year. He just said they want to be national champions. That is basic, generic coach speak 101.

I guess I need to walk a thin line when posting on both boards since I'm effectively playing both sides. I am on the record saying the results from DT's coaching will be very evident soon in your wrestlers performance and @AtownPoke will attest I've played devils advocate multiple times.

Maybe I took what he said out of context but he said winning a National Championship as the next move for him and I said I respect it. I used the wrong term here since "writing a check" refers to a guarantee so my bad on that.
That is fair. I just took your comment as DT is getting over his skis a little and publicly I don't think DT has been very aggressive on expectations for next year.

Reactions: AtownPoke
That is fair. I just took your comment as DT is getting over his skis a little and publicly I don't think DT has been very aggressive on expectations for next year.
That is 100% my bad yeah. Like I said, it's the wrong term I used there and I focused more on the caption than his actual words.

Having grown up under Cael for 15 years, I highly doubt DT is talking about winning, blah, blah, blah. He is probably talking about getting 1% better every day and scoring more than the other guy. Keeping it loose. Take care of those things and winning takes care of itself. It's psychological. Emphasizing winning has a tendency to tense guys up and noone performs well in that situation. See Brands as an example.

Having grown up under Cael for 15 years, I highly doubt DT is talking about winning, blah, blah, blah. He is probably talking about getting 1% better every day and scoring more than the other guy. Keeping it loose. Take care of those things and winning takes care of itself. It's psychological. Emphasizing winning has a tendency to tense guys up and noone performs well in that situation. See Brands as an example.
In mental and physical stress, the human loses 14 IQ points immediately.

And there’s no telling what he meant. It could’ve been individual guys winning titles?

But I a bet he’s talking about Team.

Definitely not publicly
Its more of a… we’re not backing down to anyone and we’re going to work our ass’s off and trust our system. We’re going to go after them and we’re going to be champs.

That’s not a quote but thats basically been the messaging from what I was told. Its more of a message of insane confidence rather than insane expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT