ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Lineup

Can Williams cut to 141? Seems he is already lean, cutting will be difficult right?
Holding the weight through the season would be the issue. I see Jamison and Williams at the same weights next year.

Lee in his latest DD podcast mentioned talking w/ Jamison after NCAAs. He said That Jamison told him that he didn't realize what a grind the College season actually was. We all know Jamison is tough and He w/o a doubt along w/ IZZY had the toughest schedule w/ one ranked guy after another. That damn blue team out east wrestles fewer matches and it seems to work well for them so hopefully we get some quality depth at more weights to possibly rotate some guys in and out through the schedule and maybe they'll be better off when NCAAs rolls around.

Holding the weight through the season would be the issue. I see Jamison and Williams at the same weights next year.

Lee in his latest DD podcast mentioned talking w/ Jamison after NCAAs. He said That Jamison told him that he didn't realize what a grind the College season actually was. We all know Jamison is tough and He w/o a doubt along w/ IZZY had the toughest schedule w/ one ranked guy after another. That damn blue team out east wrestles fewer matches and it seems to work well for them so hopefully we get some quality depth at more weights to possibly rotate some guys in and out through the schedule and maybe they'll be better off when NCAAs rolls around.
That makes a lot of sense

Not that my opinion matters but I'd be fine with fewer matches. Reducing their match numbers by 1/2 or 1/3 would put them in the realm of PSU match numbers. As a fan I'm only pumped up for about 70% of the matches, and all I have to do is watch TV for a few hours LOL. Maybe when it's your 12th match instead of your 22nd you're itching to get out there more. Excitement is a key part of the high level success in any kind of performance space.

I've mused on this before but I'd be really curious to hear what the athletes think about more/less matches in the folkstyle season.

With the new redshirt allowance of four matches may be let the redshirts wrestle more of the matches toward the end of the season. I know that sounds like a copout, but not as bad as what Mizzou did to Iowa State in the last meet. For example this year we should have sent out redshirts when wrestling OU. Maybe structure our schedule to see Wyoming, OU, and Northern Colorado in February along with Iowa. Move Mizzou and Iowa State earlier. This way we do not grind out our starters at the end of the season.

Speaking of Redshirts, I looked at wrestlestat the other day and saw that most if not all of our RS had very few matches. I think it was about the same as last season as well. If I can recall we used to have our RS hitting around 12-15 matches. Not sure why we aren't trying to get these freshman on the mat more.

Speaking of Redshirts, I looked at wrestlestat the other day and saw that most if not all of our RS had very few matches. I think it was about the same as last season as well. If I can recall we used to have our RS hitting around 12-15 matches. Not sure why we aren't trying to get these freshman on the mat more.
seems as though there are fewer open tournaments- or at least fewer we go to.

Thoughts are with the newly found NIL money we get Thompson and similar redshirts some high quality matches like Iowa did against Plott to see what we have, and protect our NCAA tournament wrestler against the stronger wrestlers that they are more likely to be injured by. It always seemed like guys got hurt wrestling highly ranked guys. This way fans get to see what the future looks like as well as these guys get some D1 quality matches.

Thoughts are with the newly found NIL money we get Thompson and similar redshirts some high quality matches like Iowa did against Plott to see what we have, and protect our NCAA tournament wrestler against the stronger wrestlers that they are more likely to be injured by. It always seemed like guys got hurt wrestling highly ranked guys. This way fans get to see what the future looks like as well as these guys get some D1 quality matches.
That's the thing right? If you want postseason success you need to be as healthy and ready to go as possible for those two weekends in March. You do that by minimizing mat time - just enough to be sharp. I don't like it as a fan because I greatly prefer watching duals over tournaments and I enjoy participating in several months of competition rather than only two weekends. BUT you can't argue with the results and it makes sense when I take stock of performance type situations that I'm in.

That's the thing right? If you want postseason success you need to be as healthy and ready to go as possible for those two weekends in March. You do that by minimizing mat time - just enough to be sharp. I don't like it as a fan because I greatly prefer watching duals over tournaments and I enjoy participating in several months of competition rather than only two weekends. BUT you can't argue with the results and it makes sense when I take stock of performance type situations that I'm in.
I find it kind of crazy that the NCAA doesnā€™t have a required number of duals everyone has to wrestle.

133 next year:

2FRRyan CrookhamLehigh
4FRNasir BaileyLittle Rock
5JRDylan RagusinMichigan
6FREvan FrostIowa State
7JRDylan ShawverRutgers
8JRKai OrineNC State
9SOAaron NagaoPenn State
10FRTyler WellsMinnesota
11FRJacob Van DeeNebraska

If we see Hughes here, I think he's easily a B12 finalist. If he can reasonably hold the weight I think there's several on this list he can beat. We will undoubtedly see different names in here before March of next year but this gives us an idea. He would see more than half of this list at CKLV.

So now that we know a couple portal guys that will be Cowboys, here's a revised guess at the lineup.

125 - Sprately
133 - Hughes ?
141 - Jamison ?
149 - Williams
157 - Travis
165 - Fish
174 - Hamiti
184 - Plott
197 - Carroll
Hwt - Doucet

Thoughts on Carter Young? What weight is he? Will Jamison make 141 again? Can Hughes make 133 and have energy? Other portal guys? Any other predictions?

Fish at 65, Hamitti at 74 so I would imagine Thompson will redshirt next year and battle it out with Robb the year after for 84
Yeah, Thompson needs a RS. Either heā€™s not as good as we want or we wasted a year of his eligibility?

Hopefully, we wasted a year and he comes out after next year in a much better position to AA.

Pretty close to my guess as well,
125 - Troy
133 - Hughes(Last I saw, Blair confirmed heā€™s going 33 a couple weeks back)
141- Jamison/Young
149 - Williams
157 - Travis/Portal
165 - Portal
174 - Portal/BT/Heeg, also is the Khaytiov guy ever going to be eligible?
184 - Plott
197 - CC
285 - Doucet/Merrill

At Cali HS State, Merrill looked big weight wise and some of these elite HS kids come ready to
Win, think he has a shot to be one.
How tall is Cody Merrill?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT