ADVERTISEMENT

New Recruiting Thread

Feldman is the 2nd quickest heavy I've seen after Gable.
I just watched the replay and it was a big win for Feldman with 3 takedowns, 1 escape and 5 back points on 2 turns. Mullen got in nicely on 2 shots and Feldman changed things quick with his strength and his speed easily getting both of those takedowns. Mullen chose neutral because Feldman's top game seemed very strong. Mullen's is a junior and Feldman is a senior. Feldman would likely be an All American next year as a true freshman. HWT's tend to progress later and so Mullen should really get stronger and bigger in the next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheJimReaper
I just watched the replay and it was dominance by Feldman with 3 takedowns, 1 escape and 5 back points on 2 turns. Mullen got in nicely on 2 shots and Feldman changed things quick with his strength and his speed easily getting both of those takedowns. Mullen chose neutral because it looked like Feldman could ride him for hours without giving up an escape if he chose. Mullen's is a junior and Feldman is a senior. Feldman would likely be an All American next year as a true freshman.
Feldman is really good, he's pretty much dominated everyone the last couple of years. In fairness to Mullen though, he's another athletic football guy who will very likely jump levels once he focuses on wrestling full-time (like Blankenship & Robb). He won cadet world silver so the ability is there.

I just watched the replay and it was dominance by Feldman with 3 takedowns, 1 escape and 5 back points on 2 turns. Mullen got in nicely on 2 shots and Feldman changed things quick with his strength and his speed easily getting both of those takedowns. Mullen chose neutral because it looked like Feldman could ride him for hours without giving up an escape if he chose. Mullen's is a junior and Feldman is a senior. Feldman would likely be an All American next year as a true freshman.
I watched it also. Feldman is extremely good. I think I would choose a different word than “dominance”. Actually just putting the 12-0 score and explaining how the points were scored is probably enough. It comes off poorly.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Feldman would likely be an All American next year as a true freshman.
Going to be interesting to see what Ohio St does. Next year Smith & Romero will be seniors. Do they start Bouzakis, Mendez & Feldman as true freshmen? Or do they redshirt everyone (including Heinselman) and go all in for 2024?

Their 2024 lineup could look this...
125: Heinselman
133: Bouzakis
141: Mendez
149: Sasso (last year)
157: Gallagher
165: Kharchla
174: Welsh (true freshman)
184: Jordan
197: Shumate/Hoffman
285: Feldman

Ours could look like this...
125: Mastro
133: Daton (last year)
141: Young
149: Voinovich/Mastro
157: Ferrari/Williams
165: Wittlake (last year)
174: Plott
184: Haas/Montalvo (last year maybe)
197: AJ
285: Surber

Here's the Mullen match with a matside camera and Feldman's coaches mic'd up.

Harley mentioned Feldman usually plays the takedown game, sometimes getting 10 takedowns per match. But in this one Mullen had more offensive attacks. Feldman got the first takedown, then waited for Mullen to come to him. You can hear Feldman's coaches talk about Mullen's size, athleticism and low single. A must get for us.

Mullen has some good tools….needs to hit the weights hard. He didn’t have the strength to finish his shots and fight off the turn.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Mineo is saying Spencer Lee is done for the season. Getting both ACLs repaired and then coming back next year. If true, the team race really tightens up this year. On paper it should be close between Iowa, PSU & Michigan. Can we crash the party?

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Mineo is saying Spencer Lee is done for the season. Getting both ACLs repaired and then coming back next year. If true, the team race really tightens up this year. On paper it should be close between Iowa, PSU & Michigan. Can we crash the party?
Yes we can. Plott, Gfeller, Carter Young, and Mastrogiovanni keep improving and we are in the hunt. Everyone must stay healthy. Doesn’t hurt my feelings to skip the scuffle.

With the Kemerer news and Lee that is how quickly a team can lose 40+ team points. How many points can the backups score?

PSU was going to push them hard anyways to repeat . PSU looks to be in the Cat bird seat

Kemerer is saying Mineo is wrong. Mineo is 50/50 on his stuff. That's why I posted "If true" regarding the Spencer Lee news.

Regardless of whether the Kemerer news is true or not, just think if we had brought back Boo & Kaid this year. They would have projected to be top 5 if healthy.

Iowa brought back 6 super seniors. Michigan brought back 3 super seniors plus the Suriano transfer. PSU chased Griffith & Wick then settled for 2 other transfers - Dean & Hildebrandt. We only brought back 1 starter in Geer.

Regardless of whether the Kemerer news is true or not, just think if we had brought back Boo & Kaid this year. They would have projected to be top 5 if healthy.

Iowa brought back 6 super seniors. Michigan brought back 3 super seniors plus the Suriano transfer. PSU chased Griffith & Wick then settled for 2 other transfers - Dean & Hildebrandt. We only brought back 1 starter in Geer.
Kaid couldn’t have any more surgeries if I recall correctly, so medically his wrestling career was over.
Boo had more surgeries than anyone should have to go through. I think his body was pretty much broken.
It sure would have been nice to have them this year if they were healthy and in their primes. If Kemerer is finished what good did it do to have him and Spencer Lee come back?
I’d love to be able to pull in some high scoring transfers. As a coach it is a fine line. Would you bring in Wick at 165 for 1 year? Or Hildebrandt at 125 for 1 year?

Kaid couldn’t have any more surgeries if I recall correctly, so medically his wrestling career was over.
Boo had more surgeries than anyone should have to go through. I think his body was pretty much broken.
It sure would have been nice to have them this year if they were healthy and in their primes. If Kemerer is finished what good did it do to have him and Spencer Lee come back?
I’d love to be able to pull in some high scoring transfers. As a coach it is a fine line. Would you bring in Wick at 165 for 1 year? Or Hildebrandt at 125 for 1 year?
That's true about Kaid, he was done medically. But Boo was healthy last year and John tried hard to bring him back. Plott had the same type of surgery that Boo had done. He told Willie his repaired shoulder feels so good that he'd like to get the other one done too.

I think the portal game will be big going forward. Top teams will look to plug holes, even for just 1 year. I think PSU & Iowa will lead the way with it - Hildebrandt & Eierman being 2 examples.

now do NIL and think what is possible

I think the portal game will be big going forward. Top teams will look to plug holes, even for just 1 year. I think PSU & Iowa will lead the way with it - Hildebrandt & Eierman being 2 examples.

Zach Blankenship, Jordan Williams & Jersey Robb all won Bobby Lyons. They had all pins leading up to the finals.

In the finals, Blankenship beat Willie's #63 freshman by decision, Williams beat former teammate Acklin by decision, and Robb beat Gilkey by decision.

Seth has some interviews on Rokfin. Blankenship said he'll probably start out at 125 before possibly moving up to 133. Robb said he will probably be a 197.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Angelo Ferrari over Wiley 7-6. State will have Wiley, Jordan Williams & whoever ends up going 160 for Stillwater.
State should really have some competitive brackets. Stillwater beat North in this tournament for the first time this year, I think. Heeg and Williams met for the 3rd time in 8 days with Heeg winning the runner match 9-3.

Taking some time to look at this today....
Always tell myself not to worry about logjams...there appears to be some developing...

This is kind of a comprehensive look...how does everyone see this working out?

• Current OSU Wrestlers where they are listed on Official Roster/Depth Chart
  • Current OSU Wrestlers listed as the Classes they are on the Official Roster
    • Example: Dustin Plott is listed as a Sophomore, we know last year was a COVID Year
  • OSU Signees/Commits/Targets Projected (and likely way off)

Mastrogiovanni (So.)
Blankenship ('22)
Smith ('23)
Giddens-Buttram ('24)

Fix (Jr.)
Hughes ('23)
McComas ('24)

Young (Fr.)
Mastrogiovanni (RS Fr.)
Travis (RS Fr.)
Sommer ('24)
Lockett ('25)

Gfeller (Sr.)
Manibog (So.)
Boone (Fr.) - Might be at 165
Voinovich (RS Fr.)
Voinovich ('24)

Sheets (Sr.)
Harper (Jr.)
McLane (So.)
Ferrari ('22)?
Williams ('22)?
Ferrari ('24)?

Wittlake
Boone (Fr.)?
Ferrari ('22)?
Williams ('22)?
Ferrari ('24)?

Plott (So.)
Stika (Jr.)
Lindsey (So.)

Geer (Sr.)
Montalvo (Jr.)
Haas (RS Fr.)

Ferrari (So.)
Robb ('22)

Surber (So.)
Harris (Sr.)
Doucet (So.)
Mullen ('22)

The biggest concern appears to be, how to work in Travis Mastro, V. Voinovich, Anthony Ferrari, & Jordan Williams. Is 49/57/65/74 Possible for these 4?

Carter Young really complicated things...in a good way!!

Depending on what happens with G & Wyatt, I'm trying to figure out how we can AA at 149, 157 & 184 next year. Those weights return a lot of guys, so it's going to be tough. Could Anthony Ferrari go 149 & Williams go 157?

Depending on what happens with G & Wyatt, I'm trying to figure out how we can AA at 149, 157 & 184 next year. Those weights return a lot of guys, so it's going to be tough. Could Anthony Ferrari go 149 & Williams go 157?

Voinovoch, Williams, Mastro and Haas are all guys with big time pedigrees who will be in the mix at those weights.

Voinovoch, Williams, Mastro and Haas are all guys with big time pedigrees who will be in the mix at those weights.
We’ve got some good problems to have. With the NCAAs being in Tulsa next year maybe we see G and Wyatt back for a title run. Or title defense 😎.
Eligibility after this season:
Mastro-3 years remaining
Fix-2 years remaining
Young-3 years remaining
Gfeller-1 year remaining
Sheets-1 year remaining
Wittlake-2 years remaining
Plott-3 years remaining
Montalvo- I’m not sure where he stands. Already used RS, wrestled cancelled season(1). Covid season last year. This year injured(2), possible hardship waiver for this season. So looks like 2 years remaining possibly 3.
Ferrari-3 years remaining
Surber- 3 years remaining

Also 5 of them have Redshirts available, young will probably have an Olympic rs if he wants

i talked with a recent all american from OSU and he said that although Voinovich is a solid recruit he may not have the success a lot of people think he may have. he said he believe the younger mastro will be better when he adds physical strength to his game because he has more versatility. he also said wrestling the duke wrestler showed a lot about victors weaknesses as a wrestler. yes he is a true freshman and he has a ton of time to develop but the expectation of him being the next big thing has slowed down a bit.

i talked with a recent all american from OSU and he said that although Voinovich is a solid recruit he may not have the success a lot of people think he may have. he said he believe the younger mastro will be better when he adds physical strength to his game because he has more versatility. he also said wrestling the duke wrestler showed a lot about victors weaknesses as a wrestler. yes he is a true freshman and he has a ton of time to develop but the expectation of him being the next big thing has slowed down a bit.
TBF to Victor, Finesilver is really good.

VV has shown very well for a true freshman. I think most that have seen him as a HS recruit know that he needs to grow develop offensively to really push into a potential top their college wrestler.

What he does posses is natural defensive ability and a top game already at a young age that points to AA contention for him throughout his career. If he doesn’t end up in our lineup then that’s a very good problem for OSU.

TBF to Victor, Finesilver is really good.
Just looking at Josh Finesilver he had wins last season over Ridge Lovett(Nebraska) and Josh Heil(Campbell). He is a strong, experienced RS Senior. He is 21-2 this season with both losses coming to #5 ranked(Intermat) Jonathan Millner(App St). I hope Victor continues to improve and if Travis Mastrogiovanni is much better than him it will all sort itself out.

Last edited:
I think Millner will be a prime transfer target. Started wrestling in HS and has really developed. Finished 8th at 149 last year and easily handled Finesilver twice this year. Would not surprise me to see PSU & Iowa make a run at him for 149/157.

The Golden Norsemen Open is showing on our schedule on Track. Hopefully we see Voinovich & Mastro, plus others like Haas, Travis, Skidgel, Mechler & Boone.

I think Millner will be a prime transfer target. Started wrestling in HS and has really developed. Finished 8th at 149 last year and easily handled Finesilver twice this year. Would not surprise me to see PSU & Iowa make a run at him for 149/157.

The Golden Norsemen Open is showing on our schedule on Track. Hopefully we see Voinovich & Mastro, plus others like Haas, Travis, Skidgel, Mechler & Boone.
I was just hoping that some of the younger guys get in more matches. Hopefully there are a couple of more open tournaments where they get some action.

Reactions: JAY45

I know Mastro, Skidgel and Haas were headed to Missouri last weekend but it was canceled.

First, if Mastro "add physical strength" then he is no longer a 149, so the point is mute.

Victor has had a very good redshirt year. Realize, he has not given up a takedown, other than the Finesilver match.
He also has gotten out from bottom, as a true freshman, vs everyone other than Finesilver. I was worried that he would struggle in this position, like most true freshmen do..but he has not had any trouble getting out in any of his other matches.
Victor has also dictated the action in pretty much every match other than FS. He is holding center very well, even vs the 2021 bloodround guy he faced at the last open (where he dominated the match and was never really in trouble of giving up offensive points.)
If someone else beats him out at 149 next year, its going to be on shear athletic ability, because no one is going to outwork Victor.

First, if Mastro "add physical strength" then he is no longer a 149, so the point is mute.

Victor has had a very good redshirt year. Realize, he has not given up a takedown, other than the Finesilver match.
He also has gotten out from bottom, as a true freshman, vs everyone other than Finesilver. I was worried that he would struggle in this position, like most true freshmen do..but he has not had any trouble getting out in any of his other matches.
Victor has also dictated the action in pretty much every match other than FS. He is holding center very well, even vs the 2021 bloodround guy he faced at the last open (where he dominated the match and was never really in trouble of giving up offensive points.)
If someone else beats him out at 149 next year, its going to be on shear athletic ability, because no one is going to outwork Victor.

adding physical Strength does not equate to weight gain so unmute that point.

I am relaying information from someone close to the program. Vic has beat almost everyone in front of him (except the duke kid who beat him easy) but none of those guys were even in the top 35 he beat and most of those match scores were close.

anyways All I was implying was the expectation that myself and some close to the program had of him coming in and taking over 149 and being a super star has simmered. I like Vic and the coaches love him and with development and work ethic he may be a multi time all American. The good thing is time is on his side but the competition for 149-157 spots (which I’m sure he doesn’t care about) is a major hurdle he will have to get over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT