ADVERTISEMENT

Need Star War advice

N. Pappagiorgio

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2004
i saw the original a hundred years ago and would like to see the new one. I don't know Priicess Leah from R2D2.

I didn't watch any of the other ones.

Which ones do I need to watch to understand the plot?

Ideally, Machete order. 4,5,2,3,6,7,1

It's helpful to have the backstory explained between 5 and 6 so you better understand Luke's conflict.

Episode I is useless as anything but an epilogue.

i saw the original a hundred years ago and would like to see the new one. I don't know Priicess Leah from R2D2.

I didn't watch any of the other ones.

Which ones do I need to watch to understand the plot?
Watch the original first three. That means episodes IV, V, VI.
Ideally, Machete order. 4,5,2,3,6,7,1

It's helpful to have the backstory explained between 5 and 6 so you better understand Luke's conflict.

Episode I is useless as anything but an epilogue.

Keep in mind I'm speaking bare minimum. Mega is right if you want the full monte.

It might be fun without seeing any of them...

It's a reboot (without literally rebooting).

I would never recommend anything but IV, V and VI though. I, II and III are dumb.

IV and V are far and away the best, VI was 2/3 decent but then they introduced the teddy bears and f'd it up.

I wouldn't bother with I, II and III unless you have a lot of time and want to see why people don't think they stack up to the originals.

Last edited:
It might be fun without seeing any of them...

It's a reboot (without literally rebooting).

I would never recommend anything but IV, V and VI though. I, II and III are dumb.

I don't get the hate for II. Skip all the scenes on Naboo and it's a pretty good movie. Episode I is also not that bad. The Gungans are stupid, but the rest of the movie was well acted. Jake Loyd wasn't the best, but he didn't kill the movie.

III is the useless one. Palpatine becomes a cartoon character instead of the cold calculating evil guy from Return. Anakin's turn to the dark side makes no sense. He turns on a whim and then slaughters everyone in the temple. Jedi masters, who can all battle droid armies on their own, are killed after a few shots from clone troopers. Then, the acting and dialogue is horrible.

I don't get the hate for II. Skip all the scenes on Naboo and it's a pretty good movie. Episode I is also not that bad. The Gungans are stupid, but the rest of the movie was well acted. Jake Loyd wasn't the best, but he didn't kill the movie.

III is the useless one. Palpatine becomes a cartoon character instead of the cold calculating evil guy from Return. Anakin's turn to the dark side makes no sense. He turns on a whim and then slaughters everyone in the temple. Jedi masters, who can all battle droid armies on their own, are killed after a few shots from clone troopers. Then, the acting and dialogue is horrible.

tumblr_lvpvea0A441qa3cldo1_500.png

My six year old does not understand what makes one Star Wars movie great and another one awful (other than she refuses to watch III).

I see both I and II on a weekly basis, or I should say they are on in my house on a weekly basis (as is IV). I discover something new I hate about each of them (I and II, not IV) every time.

For instance...

I - what's up with the grass during the battle between the Gunguns and the droids? It looks like Bugs Bunny should be digging through it. That entire scene has two actors that are playing CGI characters and everything else is straight (bad) computer animation.

II - Annakin, played by the world's weakest actor, has an entire conversation about how much he dislikes sand... A conversation that is not believable because he cannot act. If my insurance salesman dressed in dark leather and told me he hated the beach it'd be a better scene.

Only saw I,II and III one time each. Thankfully, I don't remember much about any of them. Not sure if I repressed those memories or just chose to forget them in place of something more important. Either way, I don't think there is much of anything that is necessary in those movies. All it does is flesh out things that you already new from watching the original trilogy.

My six year old does not understand what makes one Star Wars movie great and another one awful (other than she refuses to watch III).

I see both I and II on a weekly basis, or I should say they are on in my house on a weekly basis (as is IV). I discover something new I hate about each of them (I and II, not IV) every time.

For instance...

I - what's up with the grass during the battle between the Gunguns and the droids? It looks like Bugs Bunny should be digging through it. That entire scene has two actors that are playing CGI characters and everything else is straight (bad) computer animation.

II - Annakin, played by the world's weakest actor, has an entire conversation about how much he dislikes sand... A conversation that is not believable because he cannot act. If my insurance salesman dressed in dark leather and told me he hated the beach it'd be a better scene.

See, the grass looks fine to me. Of course, i don't own the blue-rays, so it may look worse, depending on the resolution. That's not going to ruin a movie for me. It certainly doesn't look like a cartoon.

Hayden Christensen can't act. That's well established but his acting was ok in the second movie. He was also directed to act this way by a bad director. I like the opening scenes on Coruscant, and I like the mystery with Obi-wan and the clones, and then everything on Geonosis is awesome, with the exception of Portman in the fake sand.

No doubt there is a lot of cool stuff in the prequels.

The problems they suffer from are casting in some cases, dialogue in others and far too much CGI - including the abomination known as Jar Jar Binks. The stories are interesting and some scenes are amazing. Some casting is brilliant (McGregor, Portman, Neeson) but the dialogue, limitations by other bad casting etc keep them from really carrying those movies like they could have.

I think the reason people criticize the sequels so much boils down to them being disappointing over time. I think people liked them ok when they came out but over time, the quality of 4,5 and even 6 if you forgive the ewoks, has held up and become even more legendary. 1,2 & 3 weren't special and just seem like average sci fi movies now.

7 is old school and done right.

I think this is something everyone could be entertained by...

The next time you watch Episode I focus on Liam Neeson's eyes. There are literally dozens of moments where it is obvious he doesn't know what he's supposed to be looking at. This is what happens when you put an actor in a green room for 80% of his scenes and then give him a terrible director that can't paint the scene for him (or even knows what he needs from the scene... George probably loves these scenes).

Reactions: MegaPoke
I don't believe any of you when you speak of your dislike for I thru III. I read about all of you fan boys pissing all over yourselves in excitement on these very boards when they came out.

While they aren't on the level of IV thru VI, I'll admit that I enjoyed them. And I'm still not ashamed to admit that.

I don't believe any of you when you speak of your dislike for I thru III. I read about all of you fan boys pissing all over yourselves in excitement on these very boards when they came out.

While they aren't on the level of IV thru VI, I'll admit that I enjoyed them. And I'm still not ashamed to admit that.

I joined in 2008. You did not read anything about them from me. I disliked them so much I mostly ignored the existence of Star Wars until my daughter discovered it.

10 years from now people will be talking about how this one isn't any good.

My 19 year old son is a huge Star Wars fan. He hated this one. Thought it had too much Disney in it with forced humor and a syrupy story line like most things they do.

So, your contention is that the prequels were just as well liked (during the week they were released) as Episode 7? Because, if that is what you think, you are wrong. Those movies were loaded with immediate negative criticism from audience and critics. This one may not be universally liked (few movies are), but there is a significant difference between the initial impressions of this one and the initial impressions of 1,2 and 3.

My 19 year old son is a huge Star Wars fan. He hated this one. Thought it had too much Disney in it with forced humor and a syrupy story line like most things they do.

Sorry bro. Everything about this is wrong. It was very like 4 and 5 in terms of humor and the chief criticism has been the similarity of the storyline to the original. Tell your son he can be anything he wants to be in life except a movie critic. ;)

Sorry bro. Everything about this is wrong. It was very like 4 and 5 in terms of humor and the chief criticism has been the similarity of the storyline to the original. Tell your son he can be anything he wants to be in life except a movie critic. ;)

Hey I disagree with him but I love anything sci fi and comic booky.

He's a writer and actually quite brilliant and may have ruined the movie for me. He noted the differences in humor was subtle but annoying to him. In the originals he believes the humor wasn't forced but a part of the natural flow. His criticism about this one was the Disney humor formula they also use in the Marvel movies(and all the rest of their stuff). Not a natural feel, but the actor acknowledging they're in a Star Wars movie and look I'm going to make a joke with a wink to the audience. That doesn't annoy me quite as much as him, but I thought his perspective was actually nerdy smart and something that the rest of us rubes would miss out on

I think blaming Disney for specific commonalities between the two largest action movie franchises ignores the fact that they are still produced by two entirely different studios.

I think it more likely that Marvel has simply had that large an effect on our entertainment culture in general at this point than someone at Disney demanding common themes.

I think the Disney formula has had an effect (and a successful one at that I might add) on the Marvel universe.

Neither Star Wars nor Marvel should complain. People like it and both are making a ton of money.

My wife thought there should have been more campy humor like the original

I think it would have had greater dramatic effect to reveal Kylo Ren as Han and Leia's son at the end of the movie when Solo met him on the bridge (also taking his mask off at that moment, not earlier).

Who's complaining?

I'm saying there are different creative people involved at Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar than there is with Disney's own studio or one another.

It's not all Disney, Disney, Disney. If it was we wouldn't have just had our second PG-13 Star Wars film, and there's no way an overarching Disney signs off on Jessica Jones unless studios have autonomy.

Reactions: Been Jammin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT