ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAs Session 1

If anyone's interested--6 lower seeds won their opening match at 125 (the least chalky weight class)
133--3 lower seeds
141--2 lower seeds
149--1 lower seed
157--2 lower seeds
165--5 lower seeds
174--3 lower seeds
184--4 lower seeds
All chalk at 197 and HWT.

One of those 125 upsets was over Big 12 Champ Poulin

What has happened to Tate Picklo? All we heard his senior year at MHS was how he’d be the next big thing in collegiate wrestling. Lost his opening match 9-1.

What has happened to Tate Picklo? All we heard his senior year at MHS was how he’d be the next big thing in collegiate wrestling. Lost his opening match 9-1.
Tate lost to Romero who I think won or has been in the finals the past two years in the Big 12. I think Romero was off at the Big 12's. Romero is tough and wrestled that way today.

It appears we won the matches we should have won and lost the ones where we were lower seeds.

That’s right - Romero was a National Title contender before an injury set him back

Some of the smaller Big 12 schools (the affiliates, really) are showing WHY it's so good that they're in the Big 12 for wrestling. A guy like Andrew Alirez wouldn't have a chance to compete for a national championship if he wasn't competing against top flight competition like he does in the Big 12. It's been really fun to see the Utah Valleys and Northern Iowas of the world be able to have their moment--maybe not competing for team championships, but having honest to God individual championship threats. Alirez, Keckeisen, and Hendrickson are all contenders to win their weight classes. As long as they don't run into any Cowboys, I'll be rooting for them all the way.

First round thoughts…
125) wasn’t expecting a win but didn’t think the match would look like that.
133) was expecting that
141) really injured
149) common theme throughout the year, can’t find a way to win close ones and finish shots.
157) should of been a easier win
165) didn’t expect much
174) didn’t look ready, but was aggressive on his feet
185) looked good
197) looked good
285) didn’t do anything

Wrestle well this evening and four to the quarters is a reasonable expectation. G and Wittlake with tossups. Fix and Plott favored. Surber needs some magic.

Wrestle well this evening and four to the quarters is a reasonable expectation. G and Wittlake with tossups. Fix and Plott favored. Surber needs some magic.
Plott will have to avenge an ugly loss from earlier in the season. Rough match up for him and I don't feel great about his chances. Hope he has a winning strategy lined up. I am seeing something like a 6-4 record in the first wave in this next session. Witcraft, Fix, Voinovich, Gfeller, Sheets, and Wittlake winning with Young, Plott, Surber, and Doucet dropping close matches.

Is there a link to updated brackets? All I can find on the NCAA website is not updated after round 1.

OSU wrestling looking like a snoozefest so far. We need takedowns. We look more like Iowa than PSU with our offense. My wife and I met at OSU and went to the St Louis tournament were we won it all with 5 champs. I thought we would go to Tulsa until she told me OSU was "boring" to watch. Kind of sad to be honest. She use to love it but like us all she misses the "spark" that OSU wrestling once had.

Last edited:
OSU wrestling looking like a snoozefest so far. We need takedowns. We look more like Iowa than PSU with our offense. My wife and I met at OSU and went to the St Louis tournament were we won it all with 5 champs. I thought we would go to Tulsa until she told me OSU was "boring" to watch. Kind of sad to be honest. She use to love it but like us all she misses the "spark" that OSU wrestling once had.
Losing sucks

Reactions: bwel9339
I wish we looked like Iowa. We more like Iowa Central.

Losing sucks
It is not even that. I just miss the spark and scrappiness we once had. I have seen so many other programs (Iowa State,UNI,etc) who have had coaching changes or less talent compete and often times beat OSU. I can't help but think having all OSU guys on staff is not a good thing. Look at the coaching staffs around the country. You will see most have names who were big time wrestlers at other schools. I think an array of techniques from different coaches makes one more well rounded. We are getting some good recruits but we just don't develop them and get them to the next level. We need at least 1 coach on staff who is a master motivator and can get more out of our guys.

Gfeller getting worked.He is the one who looks like he has a concussion. Gfeller,Sheets, Witcraft,Young,and Doucet would not have made the team in early 2000's. Not sure why we can't do better but I can't help but think there is a coach out there that could change our current situation.

Voinovich looking sharp.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT