ADVERTISEMENT

Name this critter.....

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
This was a surprise. Was on my trailcam late October/Early Nov. This is in the wilds of the mountains in Latimer county. Not released by the ranch owners. Thoughts?

I did a little research and have a good idea but wanted your thoughts...
Corsicangoatmaybe.jpg

because the file is fairly large, I'll just link to it here.
This post was edited on 11/23 12:43 PM by TexasCowPoke

Goat. What kind exactly is much harder to say.

Any exotics ranches nearby?

BTW, shoot me an email when you get a chance.

Yes I think it is definitely a goat. No horns on this one. Not a domestic but an exotic of some sort. the closest I could find was Corsican type but this guys is pretty big. I'm guessing he's 150-200 lbs, heavier build and taller than the deer in that same area. Also, not sure what to make of that raised hair on the back near the rump... I've seen that before on an exotic I think but can't remember what kind.

Jeff, I'm not sure if there are any exotic ranches in the area. I'm checking with the owners. I showed a couple of the older ranch hands who also hunt here (they've personally seen cougars and bears on this ranch- driving it daily- I've known them for many years now and they don't exaggerate, but they've never seen this thing before).

I've been going back and forth on whether it has horns or not. I think it might have black ears going straight down and the white may be horns.

Regarding size, I'm a city boy, but I'm pretty sure full grown males being north of 200lbs is pretty common. I think most we usually see just go to the butcher before then for quality reasons.

Originally posted by dtspoke:
If I had to guess, that's a peacock goat.

I don't have your email on this new Mac either...shoot me one when you get a chance.

Originally posted by Jeff J.:

Originally posted by dtspoke:
If I had to guess, that's a peacock goat.

I don't have your email on this new Mac either...shoot me one when you get a chance.

I sent it, did you get it?

Goat, what kind I don't know. might try posting it on texasbowhunter.com and see if someone there knows.

It's a Jacob's sheep. They have four horns. See link...

They are a domestic species but many a city slicker will pay big bucks to bag one so a few end up released. Usually they are on game ranches but you'll see em in the wild from time to time.

Jacob Sheep

I take that back. After a closer look it appears to be a billy goat of some kind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT