ADVERTISEMENT

Myron Roderick history...

CowboyTanker

Starter
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2001
I ran across this little bit of history about Myron Roderick. Many may not know but Myron was also the OSU Tennis Coach for a while and an outstanding racquetball player at the national level!!

There are three pictures here and Myron is the only person named but in the third picture Doc Cooper is standing on the left next to Myron (Myron’s right)

Last edited:
I have a Myron Roderick story.... in circa 1970 or '71, when I was 6 or 7 years old or so and wrestled at 43 lbs (for which I could weigh in fully dressed; heck it might have been 36 lbs), the Stillwater YMCA got a new wrestling coach. It was the recently retired Myron Roderick. He even brought in an assistant coach - Dave Martin. Let that sink in - I can say I was coached by two Hall of Famers. They were both diligent and invested in us kids. I ended up moving to Perkins, long before they started a wrestling program there, so my wrestling career ended, but I can still claim "that." Through the years, well into my adulthood, Myron always knew me my name and face. Always gracious. Same for Dave.

I have a Myron Roderick story.... in circa 1970 or '71, when I was 6 or 7 years old or so and wrestled at 43 lbs (for which I could weigh in fully dressed; heck it might have been 36 lbs), the Stillwater YMCA got a new wrestling coach. It was the recently retired Myron Roderick. He even brought in an assistant coach - Dave Martin. Let that sink in - I can say I was coached by two Hall of Famers. They were both diligent and invested in us kids. I ended up moving to Perkins, long before they started a wrestling program there, so my wrestling career ended, but I can still claim "that." Through the years, well into my adulthood, Myron always knew me my name and face. Always gracious. Same for Dave.
Graduated High School in 1959 but went briefly to Central State for one semester before attending OSU in the fall of 1960. My Senior year in 1963-64 I married and my wife had just graduated from the Mercy School of nursing in Oklahoma City. Her first job was as Doc Cooper's nurse at the OSU Infirmary and he was also the team doctor. Myron was the coach when I was in school at OSU. Myron was a great coach.

I remember when they were the coaches at the Y. One of my memories is when the wrestled each other during practice one day, their speed and movement up close and personal was absolutely incredible for this grade schooler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT