ADVERTISEMENT

My New Hobby (Same as the Old Hobby)

TheRedSon

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2008
Waco, TX
So I posted about one of my games over the summer or last spring, and we went down the Pandemic hole for a while (speaking of which, who's won since?).

Anyway, I started painting my Star Wars: Imperial Assault game a while back... Somewhere along the line I think I stopped sucking at it.

22038990626_82548dc604.jpg
[/IMG]
22065246635_1db8030e49.jpg
[/IMG]

Also, I just learned how to do that with Flickr.

Did you put them on different bases? I thought the bases were basically just dull grey.

And RedSon, I have your next obsession for you: Pandemic Legacy. The conceit is that each player is a role from the original Pandemic game, and you're working together over the course of a year to cure four diseases, just like in the original game. But this one turns Pandemic into a campaign-style game, kind of like Imperial Assault, where your characters and the board itself change over time. You'll be applying stickers to the board to alter it, and new rules will crop up over the 12-24 possible playthroughs (you play each "month" 1-2 times, depending on whether you win the first time). You'll want to play it with the same group every time, and it only goes up to 4 (so maybe one from your Imperial Assault group will be left out).

I've been really anticipating this since it was announced. I really like Pandemic, and I enjoyed Risk Legacy, which was a similar campaign concept with Risk. Pandemic is a much better (and cooperative, which I love) game than Risk, so my group was really excited for this one. It just came out this week, and my group played through three games on Friday (lost 1, won 2), and I can't wait to sit down and play it again. Super, super fun, and it's really smart the way they adjust the difficulty level between games so you don't win or lose too often in a row. I can't recommend it highly enough, especially for someone who already loves Pandemic.

Reactions: TheRedSon
Did you put them on different bases? I thought the bases were basically just dull grey.

Yes, as a matter of fact I did. I ordered those clear bases from LITKO. They are the exact same width as the IA bases (25 mm), but they are slightly thicker (3 mm vs 2.5 mm). Cut them off their original bases with a hobby knife, drilled a small hole in their feet with a hand drill, cut up some paper clips for support and glued them into the feet, then basically repeated the process in the clear acrylic base and glued the foot down. You can see on Gaarkhan (that's the wookie with the axe for those of you that haven't played the game) where that paper clip "peg" is in the base. It looks like a small shadow and is barely noticeable.

Both incredibly nerdy and incredibly awesome.

Hey, thanks, at least for the second part.:)

You know what's funny? I'm fully aware of my status as a nerd. I learned to embrace it a while back. I spent four hours playing this game recently with a guy that played DT at Baylor, a guy that was a professional cyclist and a guy that teaches high school Ag.

I think, especially when it comes to Star Wars, there's a little nerd in all of us.

We also drank a lot of beer...

And RedSon, I have your next obsession for you: Pandemic Legacy. The conceit is that each player is a role from the original Pandemic game, and you're working together over the course of a year to cure four diseases, just like in the original game. But this one turns Pandemic into a campaign-style game, kind of like Imperial Assault, where your characters and the board itself change over time. You'll be applying stickers to the board to alter it, and new rules will crop up over the 12-24 possible playthroughs (you play each "month" 1-2 times, depending on whether you win the first time). You'll want to play it with the same group every time, and it only goes up to 4 (so maybe one from your Imperial Assault group will be left out).

I've been really anticipating this since it was announced. I really like Pandemic, and I enjoyed Risk Legacy, which was a similar campaign concept with Risk. Pandemic is a much better (and cooperative, which I love) game than Risk, so my group was really excited for this one. It just came out this week, and my group played through three games on Friday (lost 1, won 2), and I can't wait to sit down and play it again. Super, super fun, and it's really smart the way they adjust the difficulty level between games so you don't win or lose too often in a row. I can't recommend it highly enough, especially for someone who already loves Pandemic.

This sounds like fun. I think you said something about it in the last game thread or an e-mail you sent me.

I may need to regroup some from Imperial Assault before I go invest in another new one. They keep coming out with expansions... I'm spending half again as much on stuff like paint and acrylic bases though (and tiny tools and brushes).

As for upsetting someone in my IA playgroup... No worries. My wife actually likes Pandemic, and I've got two couples she's close to addicted. I also have convinced her mom and both of my parents that it's a fun game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT