ADVERTISEMENT

More MLB Trade Talk

Marshal Jim Duncan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2013
I've loved what John Hart has done for the Braves to date, but the latest trade with the Dodgers seems to be a head scratcher. The Braves obviously loved the Cuban, Hector Olivera; they bid $40MM for his services and were blown out of the watre by the Dodgers' $62.5MM bid.

The Braves now get him for $36.5MM over 5 years. They don't have a lot of big sticks in the minors, not the high minors anyway, so I think that is why they are so in love with Olivero. They also get another nice pick -- #34 next year. But, Olivero is 30 years old (at least) and has had some injuries issue himself, and has yet to face much MLB pitching. The rest of what ATL receives is just fluff.

I just think maybe Hart gave up too much for what he got. Jim Johnson was always going to be traded and Avilan is probably past his sell date. I actually expected the Braves to trade Peraza, their reputed #1 prospect, but I wouldve thought they'd get more in return. I'm really surprised Hart woudl let Alex Wood go, at this point. He obviosly thinks they have 5 better options for the future. Wood does have a very awkward delivery and did have TJ whil in college.

I think the Braves decided to give it a go this year and not pack it in completely, while looking towards 2017 in the new stadium. They stayed very competitive until just before the All Star break, when Fab 5 Freddie went down and then Jason Grilli ruptured his Achilles. Now they're in full blown rebuild mode.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News