ADVERTISEMENT

March Madness for Breweries

Anodyne

Heisman Candidate
Mar 29, 2004
I have no idea who or what composes Thrillist. But they have seeded a 64-Brewery March Madness bracket, broken down by region. Like the NCAA Selection Committee, it is flawed. But it's what we have. And, as in basketball, the entrants will now advance on their own merits---or, actually the merits of Internet voting.

Of special note: Prairie is a #3 seed in the very weak South region. I think they should cruise to a Final 8 match up with the formidable #1 seed Cigar City.

The Midwest is stacked! The committee really screwed #1 seed Bell's (over-seeded anyways, IMO). They're in a dogfight with Pipeworks, which has a devoted beer nerd following. Founders vs. New Glarus as a second round match up represents all that is wrong with the system! The closest first rounder, for me, is Surly vs. Dark Horse. Toss up.

Vote for each round (and view updated results). First round voting ends tomorrow.

Fun idea. Victory a 15 seed and Boulevard a 14 (and I'm not even a huge fan of either )???

This post was edited on 3/18 8:33 PM by Marshal Jim Duncan

New Belgium is a Travis Ford coach team if there ever was one. Destined to go down early.
I know it isn't glamorous to say so but my tastebuds say that Boulevard could pull an upset over Goose Island. Highly Underated beer co.
This post was edited on 3/18 8:23 PM by Dally1up

Wholeheartedly agree that New Belgium is one of the most overrated breweries. IMO the following Colorado breweries are better: Great Divide, Odell, Left Hand, and Oskar Blues.

Also surprising to me that Green Flash, Ommegang, and Lagunitas were all left out.

Originally posted by Dally1up:

New Belgium is a Travis Ford coach team if there ever was one. Destined to go down early.
I know it isn't glamorous to say so but my tastebuds say that Boulevard could pull an upset over Goose Island. Highly Underated beer co.
This post was edited on 3/18 8:23 PM by Dally1up
Goose Island is the Duke of craft brewing. Actually, there really isn't a parallel. Is there a college team that is now a bad NBA team that still pretends to be an college team?

Whatever, they shouldn't be eligible.

Originally posted by squeak:
It's not even a tourney if you don't have Lagunitas.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Not sure what happened there. He did piss a lot of people off when he went after Sierra Nevada for the trademark thing.

BTW I finally made it to Lagunita's new Chicago facility. Unbelievably huge.

I kind of figured the trademark thing had a little something to do with Lagunitas being left out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT