ADVERTISEMENT

Louisiana To Require The Ten Commandments To Be Displayed in Classrooms

This is going to bring some lawsuits. While I agree with the intent, I'm fairly certain it's unconstitutional.
The argument from the state will be that they are displaying the commandments as a educational item. They will leave religion out of it. I think the state has a chance as they can point to the commandments on the wall at the SCOTUS.

This is going to bring some lawsuits. While I agree with the intent, I'm fairly certain it's unconstitutional.
I agree. Religion is a system of beliefs. Politcal beliefs is no different than a Religion IMO. Only thing that belongs in the classroom is the 3R's. History facts should be taught but young kids and college students should not be taught how they are suppose to view it, interpret it. Just the facts. That is up to each person to decide, those conversations should happen around a college dorm room, in the college bars, at the family table, not some Professor telling an entire class room how history should be viewed.

If they can teach kids 13 genders exist, they should be able to put the 10 commandments in the class room. But they both don't belong IMO.

I agree. Religion is a system of beliefs. Politcal beliefs is no different than a Religion IMO. Only thing that belongs in the classroom is the 3R's. History facts should be taught but young kids and college students should not be taught how they are suppose to view it, interpret it. Just the facts. That is up to each person to decide, those conversations should happen around a college dorm room, in the college bars, at the family table, not some Professor telling an entire class room how history should be viewed.

If they can teach kids 13 genders exist, they should be able to put the 10 commandments in the class room. But they both don't belong IMO.

What I don't understand is why do anyone have to draw a strict religious connection/lesson to the 10 Commandments. Yes I know, Moses, the Mount etc, but as a 10 point set of rules to live any life by, what is the problem with them? The 10 Commandments should be ground into any human ethos for just their intrinsic values to make everyone a better person.

I don't remember seeing this but the entrance to the Supreme Court has a statue of Moses holding the 10 commandments, I believe DOJ does as well. Seems only natural to see the same thing at the state government levels where they aren't used as a cudgel to indoctrinate kids in religion.

My guess is that the LA Gov and political leaders wouldn't have done this if they thought it would be a loser and with the 6-3 conservatives in Congress now I think it would be seen in the context it was presented. Am certain we shall see.

I would be hard pressed to defend 1-4 as not religious but 5-10 should be easily defended as proper teachings.
Yeah. But taken in their totality, as intended in the legislation, seems like a non-starter unless you are also going to allow/require all other religions to display their tenants as well.

Seems like a stretch to de-religious the 10 Comandments.
I don't think so. They are and can be pointed to as part of the beginning of law. You can put the code of Hamarabi on the wall and no one would complain yet the code is religious in nature as well, but it's where law begins. SCOTUS and DOJ don't display them as a religious item. They display them as a law code.

Reactions: windriverrange

I have no objection to this law. I also believe it is constitutional and hopefully the Supreme Court will rule it to be constitutional if a challenge to the law comes before the Court.

Louisiana is 49th in education. Those kids can't even count to ten.
I also agree this new law doesn't address the real educational issues Louisiana faces and that the Governor/state legislature should be more focused on those issues than this new law.

Fine if you want to put 10 commandments in your schools.
But then you should follow a presidential candidate who follows atleast half of them

• Haha
Reactions: Medic007
But then you should follow a presidential candidate who follows atleast half of them
Great point! Can you think of one in the last 50-60 years that has?

You think that is Biden? Most in the Catholic Church want him denied the sacrament of communion. Bishop recentyl called him stupid and he deserved compassion for how bad of a Catholic he is due to his stupidity.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
I would have to argue that even though Mary was a virgin she was a product of original sin that was chosen to bear a human who is actually 1/3 of the triune God.
Mary had more children the traditional way with Joseph after Jesus was born

Reactions: N. Pappagiorgio
I believe SCOTUS has ruled in the past that the 10 commandments can be displayed on public property as part of a historical display. This is from the belief that western civ and law are heavily derived and influenced from/by the text. This would preclude sharia, Satanism, etc as such writings were not historically part of the foundational culture. Colonial and post colonial culture was overwhelmingly some flavor of Christian. It had a high affinity towards Judaism and the Old Testament.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT