ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Superman v. Batman trailer...

Adman513

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Yukon
...still hasn't changed my mind. I just can't get excited about it at all. My disdain for Affleck certainly is part of that, but it just doesn't seem enjoyable visually, and the dialogue they've shown in the clips so far also seems empty and forced.

Anyone else see the clip? Any of you have any hope that it could be watchable?

I was very excited until yesterday's trailer. "I thought she was with you" quip is donkey.

Reactions: Adman513
It was pretty much what I was expecting. I thought (what I believe is) Doomsday looked terrible. The idea of Batman standing up to Superman in a fight for more than .1 second is stupid, but whatever. I still don't understand what trauma happened to DC in its past that it seems wholly incapable of producing a movie that seems bright and happy. Their movies are perpetually stuck in the Dark Knight Returns era of comics, which seems especially apparent from this movie, which borrows so obviously from that storyline.

I'm going to see it. Worried about Zack Snyder's connection to it.

Supposedly at the screening the Warner execs were very excited, particularly of the Affleck (who I don't like) portrayal of the Batman character.

I think it will be pretty cool to see the Big 3 on the big screen together for the first time.

Snyder makes visually attractive movies, but sometimes it seems like the storytelling gets bogged down.

In the future, the rumor is they are going to do a Batman movie connected to the death of Robin and the Red Hood storyline. Get the right director, and that would be an epic flick.

It looks awesome. Don't understand the hate. Guess it's the cool thing to do right now.

Sorry. Man of Steel was absolutely terrible. I can't get excited about this one because of the precedent.

Marvel knows how to make a movie. Good writing. Great action. Just enough humor to make for a fun ride.

Other than the Dark Knight Trilogy, DC hasn't had a clue.

Sorry. Man of Steel was absolutely terrible. I can't get excited about this one because of the precedent.

Marvel knows how to make a movie. Good writing. Great action. Just enough humor to make for a fun ride.

Other than the Dark Knight Trilogy, DC hasn't had a clue.
MOS was awesome. The first Avengers, Guardians and Winter Soldier were great but the others have been nothing special. They're good but not great. The Dark Knight was great but begins and rises were pretty bad.

Reactions: CBradSmith
The premise is what turns me off. There's no way that Batman could stand up to Superman. That would be the quickest fight in history.
Superman just pick up batman and fly him into outer-space and let him go. Fight over.

Can't see how you'd make a 2 hour movie out of that.

Reactions: Bitter Creek
The premise is what turns me off. There's no way that Batman could stand up to Superman. That would be the quickest fight in history.
Superman just pick up batman and fly him into outer-space and let him go. Fight over.

Can't see how you'd make a 2 hour movie out of that.

Batman has fought Superman several times in the comics. And a Joker drugged Superman has tried to fly Batman into space ... Bats spits kryptonite laced gum into Superman's face. Game over.

Most of the time Superman is just too nice and really doesn't want to hurt anyone, even when he's pissed at Batman.

Yes, I'm a geek for knowing that.

Bottom line, comics and comic book movies imply incredulity. You believe any of the crap they try to propose in any of those books/movies is believable?

To each his own. Critics panned it.

56% on Rotten Tomatoes

They gave Iron Man 1,2 and 3 (movies you didn't list) 94%, 72% and 79% respectively.
Avengers was 92%
Winter Soldier 89%
Guardians 91%
I really don't care about the critics. Most seemed to hate it because he didn't talk Zod into fighting in the desert, so they wouldn't hurt anyone during their fight. Oh yeah and he killed a guy who said he was going to murder every single human on Earth. These are the same people who love a Superman movie that reversed time by making the Earth spin in the opposite direction.

I lumped the other Marvel movies together when I said they were nothing special, but they were good.

I love comic books but I hate when people get bent out of a shape about the fights. There is no way Batman could fight Superman and it be realistic! We are talking about an alien shot from his planet as it died, landing on earth and being raised by Kansas farmers fighting a billionaire who fights crime at night in a bat suit because his parents were murdered when he was a kid. There is nothing realistic about any of it.

I'll watch it at some point but I don't have much faith in DC movies outside of Nolan. Even the Marvel movies that haven't been great are watchable and fun. DC is just a bunch of blah I barely remember 30 minutes after watching.

One big difference between the two (Marvel/DC) is just the overall tone of the movies. DC movies tend to take place in a dark dreary world and the heroes have a dour personality. Meanwhile, Marvel makes movies where the world is brighter and the heroes are sarcastic and light-hearted.

DC tried to go that direction with Green Lantern, but the writing was absolutely terrible and the movie flopped.

I think most comics, these days, are more in line with what DC has done with their movies. The stories are dark and edgy. The world is portrayed with a lot of blacks, grays and dark colors, and less bright yellows, reds, etc.

Marvel seems to trend more toward the style of comics from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Those artists used mostly bright colors and contrasted that with a small amount of dark colors.

That's just the way I see it. I don't know if either company has a directive to produce movies in a particular style. But, I don't think it can be debated that Marvel has a formula that is working and DC is now trying to figure out how to catch up to them.

I think that's the Disney influence on the Marvel movies Been. They have a formula that they apply to virtually anything they make which more often than not connects with the public. I'm very interested in seeing how the Disney formula works in the Star Wars universe.

Marvel properties with Fox, Sony, and Universal haven't been on the same level. (I will admit, that I have liked the last 2 installments of the X-men franchise. Fantastic Four is ruined.)

We'll see on this DC thing. As I said before Snyder makes visually stunning movies that tend to drag. I do like the director making the Suicide Squad.

I'll see both because I'm a sucker for the genre and I'm getting to see things I only was able to dream about as a kid.

Last edited:
The DC TV shows are good (not great). The Flash isn't even that dark most of the time.

I liked Nolan's Bat Man, but you can't follow that format for a whole universe... It's depressing.

Marvel is better than all of it though. Movies and TV. Nolan and Bale might be as good, but they're still not as fun. Besides, Marvel has proved on Netflix they can speak that language at a high level too.

Reactions: Been Jammin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT