ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Ross Rant. Must read

Pancreek1

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Aug 20, 2004
Edmond OK
The Ross Rant™ ©Joel Ross 2022 Part I

Biden completely blew the opportunity to lead the world and deal with the nation’s serious problems, but he just repeated all the same old campaign rhetoric of 2020. A grand opportunity missed, and bad news for the world. Zelensky must feel on his own now. There are covert things the CIA and special forces can do to change the war, but Biden is not doing them. Genocide will result.

When the BLS releases its jobs and unemployment report this week it will look good, but don’t be fooled. There are some in Wall St who go on TV and say the economy is great, and Ukraine does not really matter to the stock market, and some even said Monday the market has hit bottom. That is pure BS, or ignorance. While jobs have returned, and consumer spend was up nicely in February, inflation is likely going up from here, not down. Oil is now over $110, and going up a lot more since Biden is not going to change his policies. The administration in the past week has shut off expansion of drilling, new LNG terminals and new pipelines. In the face of Ukraine, the stupidity of the administration policies is beyond belief. Food prices are going to soar in the next few weeks as wheat and corn are now going up by the daily limits every day. These are the key ingredients to many foods. With oil so high, transportation costs will rise, and that flows right into consumer prices eventually. We are nowhere near solving the trucker shortage problem. So the Fed will be faced with a slowing economy and rising inflation. Do they raise rates to kill inflation, or not raise much to help a declining economy which will happen soon. With the declines in the stock market and rising rates combined with rising home values, housing has to turn down over the next few months. The combination of all of this will cause further declines in the stock market and stagflation. This is not a year to expect higher stock prices, and unless the administration does a major reversal of policies, next year will be no better. I remain 50% in cash and oil stocks which offset any losses in my core portfolio of stocks like APPL, MSFT, TMO and AMZN. Those, and a few others, will grow well no matter what happens since they do not depend on oil, supply chains, labor shortages, nor do they get impacted by inflation. While APPL does import phones and chips, it will be fine. Risk off for a long time, and don’t get lured in by the Wall St pundits who don’t seem to understand what is really happening. If your broker says buy mutual funds or annuities, or if they say buy bonds, find a new broker or money manager. This is a time to hunker down. The small group of top investors with whom I communicate regularly thinks the range off of the high of 4800 on SPX, could be down to 3840 (down 20%), to up to 5100 by year end. That is a 32% differential. In short, even the smartest guys have no idea where the market goes from here. Their true thoughts are all over the map. So don’t feel bad if you are confused. My own view remains be conservative and wait to see how Ukraine and the Fed unfold. There are huge factors which could move the market in either direction. The big winners will be those who lose the least this year.

During WWII, the Dow did:1942 +10%, 1943 +16%, 1944 +15%, 1945 +30% It peaked in Feb 1946 then dropped. The situation today is very different. Back then there was no QE, and no 0 interest rates, no $6 trillion of transfer to individuals and small business-spending went to build weapons and pay soldiers, there was no pandemic lockdown causing huge increases in savings, and the Fed was not buying trillions of bonds. There was also not inflation at 7.5%. In 1941, we were not far from the severe recession of 1937, so the upside may well have been the recovery from the depression years. The public was mostly lacking in savings, and not part of the stock market. There were no 401K plans.

There is no way to know how all of this ends. Putin, by all accounts from people who seem to know, has isolated himself, and has become delusional. A better description is very dangerous. He will not stop until he is either defeated, killed by his own inner circle, or he completely wins in Ukraine, which he cannot. He will just continue to pour in more troops, and step up the level of weapons he will use. The next step up is thermobaric rockets and bombs which are huge bombs that can kill anything in a very wide radius far beyond a normal bomb. Use of these is a war crime. He already used one this week. Some have speculated he might even try to use a very small nuclear weapon. The fact that sane, objective experts are even speculating about that, is really scary. Obviously we have no way to know what he will do, nor if his generals will go along with such things, but the risk exists. Putin will demand to win this at any cost. Now he has threatened Sweden and Finland. They may now join NATO. He is an almost exact duplicate of Hitler and Stalin now. A friend of mine who is close friends with the deputy NYT bureau chief in Moscow reports that she said Russians are shocked at what Putin is doing and they do not understand it. See below for another report from Moscow. Maybe someone will succeed in killing him. Some doctors and intel people speculate that his puffy face suggests he is on some sort of cancer drugs or steroids for something. Nobody knows, but there is speculation from his facial appearance that there is some sort of serious health issue.

Part II

The good news is Germany has finally woken up and realized they are at serious risk, and have finally raised their defense spending to over 2%, and have realized they need a credible military. The shift in German foreign and defense policy is historic, and just exposes the danger created by Merkel’s policies toward Russia and Nordstream, and shutting down power plants. Her policies helped create the mess the world is now in. For the first time in modern history Switzerland has joined the banking shut down. They never even did that in WWII. The Russian central bank now cannot get access to a large portion of its reserves due to the sanction on the central bank. Those who still say why should we be so concerned about Ukraine, are just like the people in 1940 who said why should we be concerned about the London blitz. This is WWIII starting now unless it is ended now. The similarities with 1938-39 are very much the same. There is a delusional psychopath in charge of waging this war, just like then. There is no way to overstate the risk. One possible good result is Putin will lose, and at some point be eliminated by his own people, just as the plotters tried to kill Hitler. Another potential good thing is, now maybe it will get so bad for Russia that Xi will realize his ambitions of world domination may not be the best approach. We have no idea where all this goes, but right now it is more dangerous than at any time since 1962 and the Cuban missile crisis.

We have lots of drones, or we could buy 100 Turkish drones so we have deniability. We could launch a combined attack on that huge Russian column with our drones and Ukrainian forces using Javelins, and artillery, and we could obliterate a couple of hundred or more tanks and gasoline supply trucks, and end the threat in about 30 minutes. The road would be littered with dead Russians and destroyed armor. Then we could tell the Russian commanders, turn around or die. Just like we wiped out the Iraqi column fleeing Kuwait. What is Putin going to do then. He will have lost his primary line of attack. Biden will not do it, and thousands of Ukrainians will die as a result. But that is OK because Kerry will have protected the climate. It is a mystery why the column has not been attacked yet. They are sitting ducks. I assume the Ukrainians have some plan.

Question. Since Biden said Ukraine is not a NATO member, there will be no US boots on the ground, does Xi say, there is no NATO type defense agreement with the US and Taiwan, and Taiwan is not even a legal sovereign nation, so using the same logic, Biden will not defend Taiwan. How does Biden say we can’t defend Ukraine, and the opposite for Taiwan. Very likely nobody in the White House gamed this out. What will Biden do as we watch cities in Ukraine get obliterated like happened in Syria. Will he allow the genocide of Ukraine go on unimpeded? What will the Europeans do. This is where it is going now.

World history changed this week, and likely for the good. Europe has now taken the steps needed to undertake its own defense instead of relying on the US taxpayer to do it. NATO is starting to become a true military force again, and it will hopefully be brought back up to force levels of two decades ago with real weapons and strenuous training. The US defense budget needs to add a couple of hundred billion right away. Hopefully the Pentagon will stop with CRT classes and go back to training for war fighting. Russia will have lost big, and will not be a threat again, maybe for decades, or even a century or more . The worldwide ramifications are immense. Just think of what happens to Cuba or Venezuela without Russian backing. Xi will have second thoughts about an invasion, and will have lost his partner. The UN security counsel might get rid of Russia and diminish the veto issue, not that the UN matters at all. A lot depends on the outcome of Ukraine, but it is likely this ends in Russian defeat, and then all of the above could potentially flow from that. Too bad we do not have a competent president to lead the world in creating a good scenario out of this. It was the Europeans who initiated shutting SWIFT, and Biden just led from behind and went along. The US did not initiate this. The US could stop buying oil from Russia today, but that would require the US pumping oil again and regaining energy independence. Instead Dems go on TV and claim the problem is oil company profits are too high. The insanity knows no limits. Then to top it off we are depending on Russia to negotiate our position with Iran. Psaki explains this as separate from everything else. Biden is wrong, just as he is wrong about shutting down US energy production. You can’t dream up the stupidity of the White House.

Where does all this leave the US economy and the stock market. Reality. Inflation is going to get worse for a while. Oil prices will go up from here. Biden refuses to recognize the reality of the US and the EU dependence on Russian oil, and even now he thinks climate change is the real threat. Oil could go to $125, or even $150 or more, and that would really push inflation much higher. Wheat and corn prices will continue to go much higher because Ukraine is a big supplier, and now that is shut off. Chips will remain high cost, and in short supply because Ukraine supplies freon used in chip production, and Russia supplies other chip making minerals. Shortages will continue. Until Biden reverses his position on oil production, there is no chance oil prices will come back down. Part of why Biden is rushing to do the deal with Iran is to get their 1 million barrels back on the market to get gas prices down. It will not make a big difference to gas prices after a short dip down, but it will make the Mideast far more dangerous, and at risk of another war.

Labor costs will not mitigate for a long time as inflation continues to eat away at real wages. Savings rates are declining, and over time many will see their savings eroded with inflation as they need that money to pay for core goods. We are in a situation where inflation continues to rise, and real incomes, and wealth fall. The worst of all worlds. So now we heard Biden claim we need some new spending programs to fix the mess, which would be the exact wrong thing to do. The economy will slow. The stock market will continue to decline.

The Fed will now be in a real bind. They need to raise to deal with inflation, but they won’t be able to raise as much as needed as the economy slows for other reasons than rates. It could prove to be the worst of all worlds. The chance for the recession which I have been predicting in late Q3, is now higher. The result of all of this for the stock market is despite some recent pops higher, the longer term trend in my mind is down for a while, and possibly for a long while. I simply do not see what will occur in the next few months to change my view. Many say the economy is strong and consumers are in very good shape. There is still loads of liquidity in the system. That is all true for the moment, but it may not be so true in a few months if what I have outlined above proves to be the case. There is massive risk now, and a very conservative approach to your financial situation is warranted until we see where things go from here. Do not buy bonds. Cash or a high dividend stock is much better. Oil and defense stocks will be winners. I am making good profits ever day in my oil stocks, and collecting dividends in my other holdings. I hold lots of cash for when the time is right to buy.

Maybe the kiddies will now wake up to real history, and realize America is still the exceptional nation. Maybe this is the end of the far left. Take Back America

Below is an email a friend of mine received from his friend in Moscow. This was the second of similar nature from people in Moscow. When I was in Russia a few years ago I spent a lot of time speaking to locals. In St Petersburg it was very clear they hate the ruling class in Moscow and believe them to all be corrupt and disgusting.. They once loved Putin for recreating a relatively good standard of living in Russia, but now that has all changed. Putin has lost the population.

Physically we are ok, mentally destroyed. No one reasonable person in Russia wants this war!

We don’t want it!

We are in hands of beast, who doesn’t care of any soul in the world except his!

That is happening is unjustified, disgusting, destroying. We love people. We have relatives, families, friends in Ukraine.

I’am scared. Suffocated.

Pray for all people there

My suggestion would be to offer every enlisted russian soldier (minus Belarus and Chechnya) $5,000 USD and expedited citizenship to the country of their choice with two relatives if they surrender.

Absent that the world needs to quit buying russian oil and gas and or his own people need to kill putin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT