ADVERTISEMENT

Just Watched A Video

The context should be what the Tulsa Massacre is, what happened, why did it happen, and what were the consequences of this event. The historical context should be the early 20th century.

Vague and lacking facts to teach.

There are two sides to this event and both sides have embellished the truth. The why and consequences are also two sided. This makes the event difficult to teach in a factual way. In the end it usually devolves into arguments about race with no context of the times the event takes place in. Making it less of a factual historical event and more of sociological study of an event in history.

Neither. The Tulsa Massacre should just be taught in its historical context without getting into any of this. A test essay question about this incident should be something like "Explain what contributed to the Tulsi Massacre and what consequences resulted from this event."

So the answer to this can also range in a wide variety of answers answers making it hard to score.

As far as historical significance on the nation it will have very little impact. Oklahoma History class is where it has the most relevance. Contextually it identifies how klanish ok is at the time, and tied into ok's origins as a democrat led state very sympathetic to the Klan and sympathetic to violence supported by democrats who ran the state at the time.

Now its time for the dig: Good thing we have come a long way since then. It will take a century to expel the klan from Oklahoma. Funny thing is we expelled the klan and as the klan left, the state more and more turned red until you have what it is today.

Would that make a good classroom assessment Guns?

Reactions: iasooner2000
should be in the context that for the longest time in American history the democrat party and the kkk were essentially one and the same.
And I have no objection with teaching about the history of the two major political parties along with the historical changes that have occurred within those two parties.

Again, I'm not opposed to teaching historical truth. Be it about slavery, the Tulsi Massacre, political parties, etc.

There are two sides to this event and both sides have embellished the truth.
What are the two sides to this event and what has been embellished about this event?

In the end it usually devolves into arguments about race with no context of the times the event takes place in.
I've already stated it should be taught within the context of its time, the early 20th century. What other context do you believe it needs to be taught in?

What are the two sides to this event and what has been embellished about this event?

I've already stated it should be taught within the context of its time, the early 20th century. What other context do you believe it needs to be taught in?
You definitely don't live in Oklahoma.

What started the event. How it escalated. Who tried to stop it. Was there an airplane dropping bombs. I can go on and on, but I live here in Oklahoma and learned about the event starting in high school in the 80s. Which blows the narrative that this hasn't been taught in schools right out of the sky. How many died, which they are searching for more answers to in oaklawn cemetery right now. The narrative of just a few died is not true but I would be surprised if they find hard evidence point to 300 to 500 which is the other sides claims.

The context will not be rosy for anyone. The context that I have pointed out before that the state early on was controlled by klan democrats. Do you realy want context taught or whatever paints a rosy picture for what ever political agenda you support.

Reactions: iasooner2000
In 1906 there were more black Americans in Oklahoma than first and second generation Europeans. More black Americans than American Indians. I'd have to look up the number of black towns in Oklahoma founded by black Americans for black Americans. I can't remember. Not even a ghost town remains of Arkansas Colored in the southern part of the Chickasaw Nation. The Arkansas Colored, Oklahoma post office closed in 1912. Langston flourishes to this day.

By the 1990 census, Oklahoma's black population stood at 7.1%. Caused by migration and inner-racial marriage, a sister in Lawton and some nieces and nephews are some of the Oklahoma leftovers.

The Oklahome public education system is a costly and miserble failure as we find in 49 other states.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT