ADVERTISEMENT

John Smith Show

PoOsKuE

Redshirt
Dec 14, 2004
John was very candid on the witcraft situation tonight (maybe a little too candid, guess we'll see).

Lots of good info on our 2020 class and a good breakdown on the past weekend's duals.

It always cracks me up when John struggles with our guy's last names. If tonight's any indicator, he'll never get Balmeceda's name right.

I hope Brevin knows he's just one in a long line of good Cowboy wrestlers and that John doesn't discriminate. You can be a non-starter, starter, AA or National champion and, if you have too many/not enough vowels in your last name, John may struggle with pronunciation.

A few that come to mind are Erisman, Galogaev (He gave up early and simply said "Z"), Rosholt, Frishkorn and Collica.

Last edited:
It always cracks me up when John struggles with our guy's last names. If tonight's any indicator, he'll never get Balmeceda's name right.

I hope Brevin knows he's just one in a long line of good Cowboy wrestlers and that John doesn't discriminate. You can be a non-starter, starter, AA or National champion and, if you have too many/not enough vowels in your last name, John may struggle with pronunciation.

A few that come to mind are Erisman, Galogaev (He have up early and simply said "Z"), Rosholt, Frishkorn and Collica.
You can take the Boy out of Del City...But you can’t take the Del City out of the Boy...
;);):D

Last edited:
Ok ... well don't leave us in the dark ... what did he say about the situation?
Sorry. Wasn't trying to be coy.

Basically said that the Lehigh doctor overreacted. Reece was skin checked then made weight only to be told 10-12 minutes later that he actually failed the skin check. John was frustrated given that the Drexel doc passed him the day before and our doc didn't see an issue.

Said Reece should've been allowed to go and that in no way was the skin condition contagious (it's apparently acne). Reiterating that point explaining Reece practiced with the team today and if the condition was contagious he would be held out for at least a week.

John made it very clear that he didn't believe any of the Lehigh coaches had anything to do with the decision to DQ Reece.

John also gave some insight as to why he doesn't always weigh in all wrestlers that travel to duals.

We had Wilson ready to go for Lehigh and he had made weight the previous day for the Drexel dual. Apparently, he was only 1.5 lbs over at the Lehigh weigh-in but John didn't want to force him make weight 2 days in a row when there was no expectation that he would wrestle.

Is there any recourse for a decision like this? How are physicians held accountable?

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Another thing John emphasized was that in his 29 years of coaching, he only forfeited 1 match in a dual. He thinks forfeits are bad for the sport and he likes that they carry the same weight as pins in a tie breaker. Said that discourages coaches from forfeiting.

He also raised an interesting point. Not a compliant, just an observation. Criteria 3 is total match points, but the points at the time of a fall are not counted. So here's an extreme example (mine not John's)...

Team A wins the first 4 matches by fall and they led each match 10-0 at the time of the pin. Team A then forfeits the next 4 matches to team B. Team A wins 197 by a score of 1-0. Team B win 285 by a score of 2-0. Dual is tied 27-27 and goes to criteria. Team B win under criteria 3 - greater # of match points (2>1). That doesn't seem right, does it?

Reactions: Pacemaker5
Another thing John emphasized was that in his 29 years of coaching, he only forfeited 1 match in a dual. He thinks forfeits are bad for the sport and he likes that they carry the same weight as pins in a tie breaker. Said that discourages coaches from forfeiting.

He also raised an interesting point. Not a compliant, just an observation. Criteria 3 is total match points, but the points at the time of a fall are not counted. So here's an extreme example (mine not John's)...

Team A wins the first 4 matches by fall and they led each match 10-0 at the time of the pin. Team A then forfeits the next 4 matches to team B. Team A wins 197 by a score of 1-0. Team B win 285 by a score of 2-0. Dual is tied 27-27 and goes to criteria. Team B win under criteria 3 - greater # of match points (2>1). That doesn't seem right, does it?
My good friend J. Carl has used this scenario for years to point out one of many rules in wrestling that do not make sense.

My good friend J. Carl has used this scenario for years to point out one of many rules in wrestling that do not make sense.

In one sense I get it, the falls and defaults offset each other. Otherwise team B wouldn't have an opportunity to match those 40 points. But if you watched that dual from the stands, it would be hard to think team B deserved the win.

Seems like total match points isn't a great tie breaker, especially with technical falls terminated at a 15 point differential. It limits you.

In one sense I get it, the falls and defaults offset each other. Otherwise team B wouldn't have an opportunity to match those 40 points. But if you watched that dual from the stands, it would be hard to think team B deserved the win.

Seems like total match points isn't a great tie breaker, especially with technical falls terminated at a 15 point differential. It limits you.

Seems like Criteria C should be number of tech falls and then match points as Criteria D. In this dual, the outcome would have been the same but you point out a flaw in the system.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Seems like Criteria C should be number of tech falls and then match points as Criteria D. In this dual, the outcome would have been the same but you point out a flaw in the system.

Or we could just add a 225 lb weight class and then there's only 1 tie breaker needed.

I know we have limited scholly $ and it's already hard enough to find quality big guys but in a perfect world we'd have 11 weight classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT