ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Klatt

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
I was just listening to an interview with Klatt, on the Ticket (Dallas Radio). A couple of things he said caught my interest.

At the end of the interview, he said that he expects TCU or Baylor to win the Big 12, but said he would not be surprised at all if OU or OSU ended up winning the league.

He was asked about spread offenses and difficulty defending them. He touched on it a bit, but then went into a long diatribe on what is coming to college football offense. He clearly believes that the next big thing is going to be offenses that can go multiple and stress the defense by spreading out and playing fast, or by using a tight end and fullback to play a pro-style power game without having to change personnel. (can you say Cowboy Backs?). He said that Baylor and TCU have great offenses, but that they have a strong chance to get bit in a close game in the last 3 minutes due to not being able to morph into the pro-style, ball control that is sometimes needed to close out a tight game. He pointed out that the current program that does the best job of putting the personnel on the field that he is referring to is Oregon. He expects more and more teams to emulate that style of play, but pointed out that it is not easy to find big guys who are able to play Receiver/TE/FB and really stress the defense.

I was already excited to see what this offense can do, but after listening to him, I got even more ready for the season to start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News