ADVERTISEMENT

'It’s unfathomable to me': Oklahoma State's NCAA appeal becoming issue on recruiting trail

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

'It’s unfathomable to me': Oklahoma State's NCAA appeal becoming issue on recruiting trail​

Jacob Unruh
Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State’s appeal of NCAA sanctions that would ban the men's basketball program from the postseason for a year remains in limbo.

Sixteen months have passed. OSU even played in last season’s NCAA Tournament.

Still, there is no update.

“I feel bad, to be honest, that there isn’t,” Cowboys coach Mike Boynton said after Thursday’s practice. “It’s unfathomable to me.”

But that hasn’t stopped it from being an issue in recruiting.

Boynton said the Cowboys lost a potential recruit in the spring due to the lingering case.

“It’s a real thing,” Boynton said. “When I can’t tell a family something because I’m unsure, the people I’m recruiting against are definitely sure that they know something bad’s going to happen. So, that’s the message being delivered.

“‘They’re getting crushed.’ And I’m like, ‘Well, I don’t think we’re getting crushed and I don’t know if anything’s going to happen at all,’ but the one is dancing around and the other one’s like, ‘They’re going to throw the book at these guys.’ they don’t know that, but it’s a recruiting deal and that’s what you deal with.”

Boynton isn’t thrilled with those recruiting tactics. But he understands why it’s happening.

This is how coaches make a living.

“That’s not the way I choose to go about that part of the job,” Boynton said. “I got asked about people losing games by forfeit because they’re not vaccinated or whatever this year. No, I don’t think anybody should lose a game because a team got sick, because coaches get fired for losing games. Nobody should lose their job then.

“But yeah, it’s part of the recruiting game. It’s a very competitive world out there.”

Boynton a fan of new Big 12 members​

Boynton found some comfort in knowing there is stability in the Big 12, at least for now.

OU and Texas are departing for the SEC in the near future. BYU, Cincinnati, Houston and UCF are joining the Big 12.

That means a deeper, tougher basketball conference.

“I think it’s pretty cool,” Boynton said. “I think my job got harder, to be perfectly honest. I enjoy that challenge, though. Obviously, I have a lot of respect for all four schools who have been invited and have accepted those invites."

And for a coach who prides himself on recruiting, the new-look Big 12 answers questions. Recruits ask about conference stability — especially after this summer’s rapid shift — as coaches sell their program. Boynton now has a definitive response.

The Big 12 is going to be fine.

“Not being able to be more clear, the messaging makes your job more challenging,” Boynton said. “So, having a clearer picture of what the future could look like definitely makes those conversations easier. I think there’s some merit to that.

“And I’m excited that at least for the time being it feels like we’re all settled for at least the foreseeable future.”

Boynton also offered his thoughts on each basketball program joining the conference:

► On BYU: “I’ve never been to BYU, but I’ve seen the environment at their basketball games. Not necessarily looking forward to it, but I know it’s going to create some more competition in a league that’s already, in my opinion, the best in the country.”

► On Cincinnati: “I’ve watched Cincinnati basketball for a long time. They’ve transitioned their way through a lot of conferences, it seems, in my lifetime. But I certainly remember when Coach (Bob) Huggins was there and the success that he had in creating the identity for that program, which is a credit to him, that has kind of stayed with them. That kind of tough, high-level of success, recruit guys that really want to work hard.”

► On Houston: “What Coach (Kelvin) Sampson has done at the University of Houston is nothing short of phenomenal, really. I was working at Stephen F. Austin not too long ago and we had a better basketball program than the University of Houston did. It just what it is. That’s not the case anymore, and it’s a lot to do with his commitment and their commitment to investing in that program. He’s recruited pretty well, went to the Final Four a year ago and is one of the all-time great coaches in the history of our game.”

► On UCF: “Central Florida’s had some success, not as consistent as the other programs.”

Cowboys holding practice at John Marshall

OSU fans in Oklahoma City have a chance to watch the Cowboys this weekend.

OSU is holding a free open practice Sunday at John Marshall High School, with doors opening at 3:30 p.m. and practice beginning at 4 p.m.

Masks will be required to enter the gym, per Oklahoma City Public Schools policy. Seating capacity is 1,000 fans.

Players and coaches will be available for pictures immediately after practice.

OSU will also hold open practices in Tulsa and the Colvin Recreation Center on campus in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Been Jammin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News