ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa gift from Snyder

Mrgrapple

2nd Team
Sep 8, 2006
Snyder going over to Russia instead of wrestling for the Buckeyes won the bout for Iowa. 18-13 going into hwt and the Iowa heavy is not very good.

Snyder going over to Russia instead of wrestling for the Buckeyes won the bout for Iowa. 18-13 going into hwt and the Iowa heavy is not very good.
Dude has no business wrestling these college kids. He just dominated the best senior men in the world on their own mat.

Reactions: ctdub
While Snyder is obviously one of the best heavyweight wrestlers in the world, he has not dominated in college the way some other HWTs have. He does not pin many, so the outcome of the dual probably would not have changed.

His clear focus is international and maybe this becomes more common if college wrestlers make the world or olympic teams. I don't think this is good for college wrestling and Cox has wrestled a full college season, so maybe just with Snyder

While Snyder is obviously one of the best heavyweight wrestlers in the world, he has not dominated in college the way some other HWTs have. He does not pin many, so the outcome of the dual probably would not have changed.

His clear focus is international and maybe this becomes more common if college wrestlers make the world or olympic teams. I don't think this is good for college wrestling and Cox has wrestled a full college season, so maybe just with Snyder
So he just pinned Russia's best full grown man on a Russian mat but probably wouldn't have pinned Iowa's half ass heavy?

Reactions: giddyup
So he just pinned Russia's best full grown man on a Russian mat but probably wouldn't have pinned Iowa's half ass heavy?
We don't know what would have happened and Iowa is wrestling with their back up HWT. We have seen wrestlers with the goal of not getting pinned and presumably that would have been the goal as a back up needing to not get pinned. I don't know how he has pinned people this year, but my point is he is different type of HWT than Mocco and others that consistently were pinners.

College record is 47-4, with 5 career falls, but 4 this year- his first college fall was at NCAA tournament last year, so he was a world champion before he had pinned a college opponent.

Last edited:
Brands held out Clark so Iowa wrestled 2 back ups and did not give up bonus points at 133. It would be nice if these coaches would figure out they need to wrestle their best in every match they can to improve the sport. I can not remember John ever sitting out a wrester to protect a seed but there may be a time earlier in his career when he did it for the best chance to win nationals. The numbskulls on the mat were all predicting we would hold out Collica and Chandler but I doubt that was ever even considered by our staff.

Reactions: ghost of Gallagher
Brands held out Clark so Iowa wrestled 2 back ups and did not give up bonus points at 133. It would be nice if these coaches would figure out they need to wrestle their best in every match they can to improve the sport. I can not remember John ever sitting out a wrester to protect a seed but there may be a time earlier in his career when he did it for the best chance to win nationals. The numbskulls on the mat were all predicting we would hold out Collica and Chandler but I doubt that was ever even considered by our staff.
I think brands held out Clark due to the shoulder. I've never seen brands hold out a wrestler to protect seed.

I think brands held out Clark due to the shoulder. I've never seen brands hold out a wrestler to protect seed.

He sort of alluded to the injury but wasn't definitive and he wrestled the weekend before and was/is set to the weekend after.

1) That wasn't Russia's best full grown man.

2) Did you watch the match? Snyder took him down to clinch the win, after trailing early, and the Russian gave up. Yes, it goes down as a pin but let's not go crazy.

That said, with the dual on the line, he probably would pin Holloway. He has done a much better job of it this season after entering last year's NCAA tournament with zero career NCAA pins. He has pinned 4 of 6 opponents this year for Ohio State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT