ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting note on Plott

Old Number Nine

Starter
Jan 20, 2005
I just noticed that if Dustin finishes 6th or 8th this year he will tie 4x AA, Kirk Mamman (6,6,5,8 - '89-'92) for the All-time OSU (maybe NCAA) record for the most losses at the NCAA tournament with 11. At first glance this would seem like a dubious honor but a future/current wrestler could get this total by going 4,6,6,6 in any order which would be a fine career. Hell, I'd be proud of any OSU wrestler who broke the record by going 6,6,6,6. Of course, losses at the NCAA are; 0 for 1st, 1 for 2nd & 3rd, 2 for 4th, 5th, 7th & DNP and 3 for 6th and 8th.

I guess it’s somewhat of a moot point with wrestlers being given a 5th year of which I still don’t understand the why or even the how. Anyway, it looks like Fix will be our first 5x AA and not knowing for sure how a wrestler is eligible, I don’t know if any other OSU wrestlers can compete in a 5th. I guess if Wyatt sheets can/will/does come back for a fifth year and finishes 6 or 8 he will have 11 losses.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
I believe Plott can wrestle a fifth year. He wrestled as a true freshman in 2020-21 which was the COVID it doesn’t count against eligibility year. Hopefully he is a 3rd or better twice and Mamman can remain the record holder.

Reactions: tom_v31
I just noticed that if Dustin finishes 6th or 8th this year he will tie 4x AA, Kirk Mamman (6,6,5,8 - '89-'92) for the All-time OSU (maybe NCAA) record for the most losses at the NCAA tournament with 11. At first glance this would seem like a dubious honor but a future/current wrestler could get this total by going 4,6,6,6 in any order which would be a fine career. Hell, I'd be proud of any OSU wrestler who broke the record by going 6,6,6,6. Of course, losses at the NCAA are; 0 for 1st, 1 for 2nd & 3rd, 2 for 4th, 5th, 7th & DNP and 3 for 6th and 8th.

I guess it’s somewhat of a moot point with wrestlers being given a 5th year of which I still don’t understand the why or even the how. Anyway, it looks like Fix will be our first 5x AA and not knowing for sure how a wrestler is eligible, I don’t know if any other OSU wrestlers can compete in a 5th. I guess if Wyatt sheets can/will/does come back for a fifth year and finishes 6 or 8 he will have 11 losses.
If I’m not mistaken, Plott has only placed twice

If I’m not mistaken, Plott has only placed twice
He went 1-2 his first season, which gives him 8 in total. In fairness to Dustin, that was the year he had the bum shoulder before getting surgery.

Also, Sheets is out of eligibility. Already used his medical redshirt year and his covid year.

He went 1-2 his first season, which gives him 8 in total. In fairness to Dustin, that was the year he had the bum shoulder before getting surgery.

Also, Sheets is out of eligibility. Already used his medical redshirt year and his covid year.
I think he got his front teeth knocked out at Nationals that year also.

For those who have mentioned that he is only a two time AA, this is about the number of NCAA lossed. He has 2, 3 & 3 in three years. He can tie Mamman for 11 if he finishes 6th or 8th. For the record, I hope he ends up with no losses this year.

Reactions: west2east
Mike Evans of Iowa went DNP, 6,6,6.

He went 1-2 at 165 as the 5 seed as a RFr. Somewhat interesting footnote...he wrestled 189 as a HS senior before going 165 that year. His 6th place finishes were all at 174.

Reactions: OAMC99
One of the nice things about being retired is having the time to play with stuff like this.

Anyway, after gathering and collating data over a couple of days I’ve found that 5 wrestlers have finished with 11 loses in 4 NCAA tournaments.

Last YrLast WgtNameLast SchoolResultsSeeds
1992275Kirk MammenOklahoma State6-6-5-8u-12-6-4
2019197Willie MiklusIowa State7-6-8-6u-14-6-6
1978134Rande StottlemyerPittsburgh6-6-dnp-out-67-6-3-o-u
2015174Mike EvansIowadnp-6-6-65-3-4-3
2023285Trent HillgerWisconsin8-6-dnp-87-14-17-11

It's interesting to note that in the year he DNP, Stottlemyer lost to unseeded Sam Komar who finished 4th. In those days only the wrestlers who lost to the top four finishers were pulled back into the cons. This enabled him to get one more loss thus becoming the first 11 loss wrestler.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT