ADVERTISEMENT

I'm leaving the Front Range.....

tomorrow AM. I can't wait. I miss Central Texas. These carnival barkers in Colorado are a weird bunch.

Deeply inhaling all this wildfire smoke is probably wearing thin also.

That Lyons fire was too close for comfort. Had my first eyewitness experience of slurry drops and tankers flying over my house.

Waco. The edge of the Comancheria. Except for 3 years in Germany, I grew up mostly at Fort Sill, the heart of the Comancheria.
My paternal grandparents lived in Lawton for 40-years. My grandmother taught me and my cousins to ski behind her boat on Lake Lawtonka. From their house which is where Eisenhower HS is we could see the orange & black bursts of the soldiers taking it down range at Ft. Sill. Many trips up Mt. Scott & quail hunting down below.

My paternal grandparents lived in Lawton for 40-years. My grandmother taught me and my cousins to ski behind her boat on Lake Lawtonka. From their house which is where Eisenhower HS is we could see the orange & black bursts of the soldiers taking it down range at Ft. Sill. Many trips up Mt. Scott & quail hunting down below.
I talked to a Lawton city councilman a few years ago. He told me the city planted it's last wooden utility pole in 1970. All utilities buried since.

My father was stationed at Fort Sill for almost forever. He once told me at age 16 being tri-racial the army was all that would give him a job. He retired after 21 years, went to barber school on the GI bill and barbered at Snow Hall till he finally retired.

A younger brother would go to Lake Ellsworth at 5:30 AM and fish under a light bulb off a dock. He would catch his crappie limit in about 10 minutes.

Reactions: iasooner24
I talked to a Lawton city councilman a few years ago. He told me the city planted it's last wooden utility pole in 1970. All utilities buried since.

My father was stationed at Fort Sill for almost forever. He once told me at age 16 being tri-racial the army was all that would give him a job. He retired after 21 years, went to barber school on the GI bill and barbered at Snow Hall till he finally retired.

A younger brother would go to Lake Ellsworth at 5:30 AM and fish under a light bulb off a dock. He would catch his crappie limit in about 10 minutes.
On Saturdays we my grand parents took us all to the country club. I caddied for my grandfather and my brothers & cousins went to the pool. After 4-5 Saturdays, my grandfather got the food bill for the month and hit the roof. It averaged something like 10-drinks, 3-hamburgers/fries, & some ungodly amount of candy. He went to the food manager and rationed all of us to 2-cokes & 1-candy per day.

Do you recall Dante's pizza? Awesome.

On Saturdays we my grand parents took us all to the country club. I caddied for my grandfather and my brothers & cousins went to the pool. After 4-5 Saturdays, my grandfather got the food bill for the month and hit the roof. It averaged something like 10-drinks, 3-hamburgers/fries, & some ungodly amount of candy. He went to the food manager and rationed all of us to 2-cokes & 1-candy per day.

Do you recall Dante's pizza? Awesome.
I don't eat pizza.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT