ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

Also Rocklin Zinkin visited. He’s taking alot of visits though. I’m not sure just how intense the interest level is for either of us.

In the ‘27 class with Villasenor you have another Oklahoma kid in Legend Ellis who is top 35 right now.

Riley Johnson is another visitor. He’s a top 100 ‘26 guy that’s from Nebraska. Projects 197.

There’s also the Miller kid from Blackwell who’s ranked top 100 in ‘26 and projects to 165

I have a feeling that Blaze, Bo and Jax all end up at different schools. Out of those 3 our best shot is getting Jax. I believe Blaze will end up at tOSU or possibly Purdue. Bo I feel is either PSU or Cornell. But these are all just gut feelings.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I have a feeling that Blaze, Bo and Jax all end up at different schools. Out of those 3 our best shot is getting Jax. I believe Blaze will end up at tOSU or possibly Purdue. Bo I feel is either PSU or Cornell. But these are all just gut feelings.
I could definitely see that. Jax is THE prize in ‘26 imo. Nothing against Bo but Jax has so much upside.

Blaze is Blaze and as Basch and Willie hinted at… I think TG and RBY might’ve been a big draw for him at PSU. We’ll see.

An interesting note on Bo is his growing friendship with Dee.

I could definitely see that. Jax is THE prize in ‘26 imo. Nothing against Bo but Jax has so much upside.

Blaze is Blaze and as Basch and Willie hinted at… I think TG and RBY might’ve been a big draw for him at PSU. We’ll see.

An interesting note on Bo is his growing friendship with Dee.
So reading between the lines, it's Dee to PSU? Got it! Film at 11.

Lockett is always challenging himself, it's why he keeps jumping levels, kid loves competing and getting out of his comfort zone.

He wrestled Shapiro 2 years ago after his freshman year when Shapiro was on top of the world. He met Duke at a catchweight that probably required a hard-ish cut. Now he's going to give up some weight to go against Ryan Burton (I'm taking Dee but Burton is a stud)

Love to see it.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Sadly, I agree with Pennstate1985 and I have been saying this for over 2 years. It will absolutely kill wrestling. The will be 8-10 teams left at the top and no one will be able to challenge them and even IF one of those teams is us I will not care as I will find another sport to follow. There will not be any semblance of Parity.
If you look at the history of college wrestling and without checking I bet there are only 10ish teams (or less) who have actually won team national championships. There has never been parity in college wrestling

Oklahoma State
Iowa
PSU
ISU
Minn
Ohio State
ASU
MSU
UNI
Cornell College
Indiana

11 teams. In the modern era (1970-present), it's really only been five teams.

That said, it doesn't refute what @oberebo is saying. People talk about existential threats all the time, but I really believe that money in too few hands will stunt competition. What Slumlord Bob did in the offseason for Iowa is going to become commonplace for 4-5 teams, and for lesser programs, good luck holding on to the kid you made into a a top 4 placer at nationals because someone will be handing him a half million to transfer. There will be 5 programs with 10AAs and the other 70 teams will split the other 30 AAs. That is NOT sustainable for the sport.

Last edited:
I imagine everyone knows this but Melvin Miller was a M2 kid. I call him "brother from another mother" to the Bassetts (they live together, which is why he is in all their visit pictures)

Huge talent, always seems to find a way to win, which is tremendous for a young wrestler. Sky high potential. I think experience might win it here for Robideau but will be a great match.

I imagine everyone knows this but Melvin Miller was a M2 kid. I call him "brother from another mother" to the Bassetts (they live together, which is why he is in all their visit pictures)

Huge talent, always seems to find a way to win, which is tremendous for a young wrestler. Sky high potential. I think experience might win it here for Robideau but will be a great match.
Agree, I'd take Robideau but Miller is gaining ground every month. Wouldn't be a huge upset if Miller won though.

Oklahoma State
Iowa
PSU
ISU
Minn
Ohio State
ASU
UNI
Cornell College
Indiana

You were right on the mark. 10 teams. In the modern era (1970-present), it's really only been five teams.

That said, it doesn't refute what @oberebo is saying. People talk about existential threats all the time, but I really believe that money in too few hands will stunt competition. What Slumlord Bob did in the offseason for Iowa is going to become commonplace for 4-5 teams, and for lesser programs, good luck holding on to the kid you made into a a top 4 placer at nationals because someone will be handing him a half million to transfer. There will be 5 programs with 10AAs and the other 70 teams will split the other 30 AAs. That is NOT sustainable for the sport.
How about adding Michigan State in 1967?

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Oklahoma State
Iowa
PSU
ISU
Minn
Ohio State
ASU
MSU
UNI
Cornell College
Indiana

11 teams. In the modern era (1970-present), it's really only been five teams.

That team down south has won a few too.

Seems to be some confusion here:
Oklahoma State 34
Iowa 24
Penn State 12
Iowa State 8
Oklahoma 7
Minnesota 3
Arizona State 1
Cornell (IA) 1
Indiana 1
Michigan State 1
Northern Iowa 1
Ohio State 1

I count 12; 1 first team, 2 second team, 3 third team and 6 also rans.
(I just noticed that if we have had only 5 "also rans" it would make a nice Fibonacci sequence)

Last edited:
Oberebo remembers the 1960s love movement. I bet he has stories to tell. I was about 10 years behind that scene.
I don't kiss and tell. However, if I did it would be only about the student nurse I started dating in 1962. She was the sister of one of my class-mates in High School so I had met her briefly in 1956 as a Sophomore. I invited her to her own spring dance in 1962 and the rest is history. We married in 1963 when I was a senior at OK State and she was "Doc" Cooper's nurse at the infirmary that year. BTW before she graduated from Nursing school she learned Obstetrics from Nurse Smith at Mercy Hospital. Nurse Smith had ten children including a retired coach named John. True Story: When Coach John was wrestling Nurse Smith would retire to the GIA women's rest room, sometimes accompanied by my wife, as she got too nervous to watch his matches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT