ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

I see where you are coming from but Cael and crew are proven. Until they stop producing half the U20 team and 4 of 6 on the Olympic team, they are #1. Not spitting on DT and Dake and TG, but you have to prove yourselves at that level before you surpass #1.
I agree with you there. DT has already improved on the recruiting and I feel that wrestlers will not get stale anymore at OK State because of the coaching. They will continue to get better every day. That will make a difference. I look forward to seeing where DT, TG, JK, and maybe KD can take these young men.

Don't be surprised if you do. It's really not that big a deal anymore. Guys have earned the right to at least check out some places, travel, get fed some great food and have a good time.
In football, agreed. Kids will be committed then schedule a full fall of visits, mainly for game day and insist they're still committed.

In wrestling? It's a little odd. Kids don't commit then take visits for fun. I don't know of any scenarios at least.

I know Dee has the leverage here but I see DT finding a way to shut this down if true.

I know Dee has the leverage here but I see DT finding a way to shut this down if true.
The same is true of Cael and those recruits looking over the fence to see if the grass is greener elsewhere. I hate to see it done to any program, but this is how business is conducted every day in the real world. Since collegiate sports is now business oriented (not that I like that), there will be enormous temptations being thrown at vulnerable young adults to switch allegiance. The days of guys being on the same team throughout their careers may be drawing to a close, much like pro football after free agency. We are now in a period of collegiate free agency. Not sure we go back.

The same is true of Cael and those recruits looking over the fence to see if the grass is greener elsewhere. I hate to see it done to any program, but this is how business is conducted every day in the real world. Since collegiate sports is now business oriented (not that I like that), there will be enormous temptations being thrown at vulnerable young adults to switch allegiance. The days of guys being on the same team throughout their careers may be drawing to a close, much like pro football after free agency. We are now in a period of collegiate free agency. Not sure we go back.

I feel like Wrestling will be less lucid in this regard. Once there are some serious cautionary and public instances, there will be some reason for pause in "job jumping."

Wrestling is much more tight-knit and fraternal compared to Football and that other winter sport.

I feel like Wrestling will be less lucid in this regard. Once there are some serious cautionary and public instances, there will be some reason for pause in "job jumping."

Wrestling is much more tight-knit and fraternal compared to Football and that other winter sport.
hey, I'm with you Chase but reality is smacking us in the head. The genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back. Wrestlers being handed a bag of money will react no differently than that of a basketball player. I say that sadly but these kids won't give up a $500k opportunity. Would you?

Iowa showed us that this will become a free for all.

Sadly, I agree with Pennstate1985 and I have been saying this for over 2 years. It will absolutely kill wrestling. The will be 8-10 teams left at the top and no one will be able to challenge them and even IF one of those teams is us I will not care as I will find another sport to follow. There will not be any semblance of Parity.

Sadly, I agree with Pennstate1985 and I have been saying this for over 2 years. It will absolutely kill wrestling. The will be 8-10 teams left at the top and no one will be able to challenge them and even IF one of those teams is us I will not care as I will find another sport to follow. There will not be any semblance of Parity.
I don’t think you are wrong but is there a sport out there pro or college that has less parity than college wrestling. Parity has never been as strength for the sport.

hey, I'm with you Chase but reality is smacking us in the head. The genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back. Wrestlers being handed a bag of money will react no differently than that of a basketball player. I say that sadly but these kids won't give up a $500k opportunity. Would you?

Iowa showed us that this will become a free for all.
And how are things going at Iowa?

There’s a good way to do this stuff and the deviation is super small when it comes to our sport.

Bad examples will be cautionary tales and good examples are already good examples.

I think you are calculating this incorrectly.

There will be lost programs…and that’s terrible, doesn’t follow what most Wrestling guys/gals want.

The NCAA just turned into the minor leagues of world comp, mma and coaching. It’s a positive if you ask me.

Reactions: oberebo
Chase, I guess I am just very old school. I still pine for the loss of my 1940-50's Chicago White Sox baseball team when all of this started. I could name every member of the team from Minoso to Fox to Jumping Jim Rivera and Chico Carasquel.
I do not watch pro sports for the most part. Certainly not Pro Football or basketball. I want the old days when I could be certain that the team I pulled for one year remained the same the following year.

Reactions: colcord
Chase, I guess I am just very old school. I still pine for the loss of my 1940-50's Chicago White Sox baseball team when all of this started. I could name every member of the team from Minoso to Fox to Jumping Jim Rivera and Chico Carasquel.
I do not watch pro sports for the most part. Certainly not Pro Football or basketball. I want the old days when I could be certain that the team I pulled for one year remained the same the following year.
Not old school. You just want to root for a team and not a group of individuals who wear the colors. It's the same with me. I can remember most of the players on the 70s Steeler teams, but I can't name but a few players from the last five years. I'm just not as invested in free agents. As such, I watch very little pro football anymore. The same will be true in wrestling. My zeal for the sport will lessen as guys hop around every year to the highest bidder. Why invest in a kid emotionally when next year he could be wrestling for a rival.

Oh, I don’t prefer this at all!

But I also don’t think it will be as bad as perceived….except Iowa, they’ll be trashier than ever.

Speaking of a lack of parity the recruitment of Bassett, Jax, Mocco and Blaze will be big. If Penn. St. gets these 3 standouts or even 2 out of 3 you combine them with the very young wrestler's they have signed or verbally committed no one will be in Penn. St league. Also, I hope our wrestlers are developing and jumping levels, but I will need to see it. In these summer tournaments I have not seen any indication of this development. These 2025 recruiting class and especially the 2026 class is vital for Taylor. I feel for Daton and Alex.

Huge news on the DT flip from Penn State, evidently the mystery flip is me as I have been upgraded to "Commitment" this morning on 34 and counting. DT is so good at recruiting he managed to flip me without me knowing.

I am expected on campus next week for the Utah game to sign my NLI to flip to being a Poke fan #blessed

7ZNJiCp.png

Huge news on the DT flip from Penn State, evidently the mystery flip is me as I have been upgraded to "Commitment" this morning on 34 and counting. DT is so good at recruiting he managed to flip me without me knowing.

I am expected on campus next week for the Utah game to sign my NLI to flip to being a Poke fan #blessed

7ZNJiCp.png
I was playing the long game but it’s all been worth the wait

7ZNJiCp.png
I hope the NLI signing line isn't too long next weekend. Hopefully just you. I like you but I'd miss others more.

Reactions: AtownPoke

7ZNJiCp.png
Welcome to the fam or welcome home or whatever we are supposed to say until you enter the transfer portal. Anyway, glad you are here until your not. 😃

Reactions: colcord

7ZNJiCp.png
Let me welcome you home!

In the the fashion of NIL, I’ll be buying your next meal at an event. Also, if you prove to provide correct information, I’ll be buying meals there too.

Speaking of a lack of parity the recruitment of Bassett, Jax, Mocco and Blaze will be big. If Penn. St. gets these 3 standouts or even 2 out of 3 you combine them with the very young wrestler's they have signed or verbally committed no one will be in Penn. St league. Also, I hope our wrestlers are developing and jumping levels, but I will need to see it. In these summer tournaments I have not seen any indication of this development. These 2025 recruiting class and especially the 2026 class is vital for Taylor. I feel for Daton and Alex.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the recruiting and the danger of psu basically leaving everyone in their dust even more than they are now.

That being said, there hasnt been enough summer wrestling with the new staff around to make any assessment. If your'e referring to Daton, well thats a whole dif deal imo.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the recruiting and the danger of psu basically leaving everyone in their dust even more than they are now.

That being said, there hasnt been enough summer wrestling with the new staff around to make any assessment. If your'e referring to Daton, well thats a whole dif deal imo.
With this latest recruiting class coming in for PSU, and assuming no defections (big IF), recruiting should be wide open for everyone for the next couple years. I could also see a couple guys on the PSU team getting frustrated and leaving over mat time.

This weekend is the biggest home football game of the year by far. I would be pretty surprised if we didn't have some recruits in town.

Reactions: AtownPoke
So, I woke up not feeling the best and cannot sleep, so looking to fire up the talk on the recruiting thread. I feel everyone knows that DT and his staff will definitely make the wrestlers better, but can he pull top recruits to OK State away from other schools. Below is my attempt! haha

Any inside news, rumors, visits lined up, chances at landing any of the guys below?

Marcus Blaze: What school does not want him? Only thing I am hearing on him is he wants to stay close to home.
Jax Forrest: Have heard he wants to end up at OK State, but that may have been with links to the old coaching staff?
Bo Bassett: All schools may have to wait another 20 plus weeks for his elimination countdown to end.
Ryan Burton: Committed to VA Tech, does he end up taking a visit and flipping?
Melvin Miler: Only a sophomore and have not heard much on him at all when it comes to college.
Jude Correa: Heard he may want to flip to OK State. Does it happen after WNO?
Dreshaun Ross: Haven't heard much on him other than Iowa and that he took a visit to Ohio State recently.
Ignacio Villasenor: Recently moved to Stillwater. Heavy lean towards OK State?
Raney Brothers: Have heard a lot of Iowa when it comes to these two.
Dorian Olivarez: Have not heard much on him but has some good wins on his resume. A senior this year, not committed.
Aaron Stewart: Haven't seen much on him since he either made a visit to OK State, or coaches went to visit him.
Will Henckel: For some reason I feel like I seen his name as a possibility of a flip to OK State, rumors only.
Coby Merrill: Has no problem making his own decision instead of following his brother. Very good wrestler!
Micheal Mocco: I hear the talk of him leaning OK State, but is that only because of his dad's connection to OK State?

So, I woke up not feeling the best and cannot sleep, so looking to fire up the talk on the recruiting thread. I feel everyone knows that DT and his staff will definitely make the wrestlers better, but can he pull top recruits to OK State away from other schools. Below is my attempt! haha

Any inside news, rumors, visits lined up, chances at landing any of the guys below?

Bo Bassett: All schools may have to wait another 20 plus weeks for his elimination countdown to end.

Melvin Miler: Only a sophomore and have not heard much on him at all when it comes to college.

Dreshaun Ross: Haven't heard much on him other than Iowa and that he took a visit to Ohio State recently.

Will Henckel: For some reason I feel like I seen his name as a possibility of a flip to OK State, rumors only.

Micheal Mocco: I hear the talk of him leaning OK State, but is that only because of his dad's connection to OK State?
Bo: You are a shameless optimist if you think we will know in 20 weeks. He may graduate from college before we know lol.

Miller: I think whereever Bo goes, Miller follows. They are related.

Ross: Iowa's to lose, but Cael is kicking tires, but that may be just to drive up the price. Concerned about his shoulder.
and commitment to wrestling vs football.

Raneys: Sounds like it is between Iowa and Illinois. Kids are big into greco, and Illinois has that. Helps that their coach (Brooks Black) went to Iliinois.

Henchel: I can see him transferring somewhere.

Mocco: He will be heavily recruited by all the big programs.

Marcus Blaze: What school does not want him? Only thing I am hearing on him is he wants to stay close to home.
Jax Forrest: Have heard he wants to end up at OK State, but that may have been with links to the old coaching staff?
Ryan Burton: Committed to VA Tech, does he end up taking a visit and flipping?
Jude Correa: Heard he may want to flip to OK State. Does it happen after WNO?
Ignacio Villasenor: Recently moved to Stillwater. Heavy lean towards OK State?
Dorian Olivarez: Have not heard much on him but has some good wins on his resume. A senior this year, not committed.
Aaron Stewart: Haven't seen much on him since he either made a visit to OK State, or coaches went to visit him.
Coby Merrill: Has no problem making his own decision instead of following his brother. Very good wrestler!
The hard thing about all of this convo is that we’re all throwing crap against the wall just hoping something sticks. No one that’s talking knows much. If someone does know… they’re not talking. I do think we have to look at the ‘25 guys and ‘26/‘27 guys in a somewhat different light though because we’re just selling the plan in ‘25. The ‘26 and beyond group will have an actual product to look at.

Blaze - no one knows anything and they just keep regurgitating stuff from over 6 months ago which means nothing. I honestly think the staying home stuff has zero bearing at this point but who knows. The TG interaction was interesting just because it looked so comfortable.

Jax - this kid is a lot like Blaze imo. He doesn’t require much attention and just goes to work. He has two really influential relationships in Stillwater that’ll continue to make hay for us if they stay put and that’s Zo and Gilman.

Bo - it honestly could be the highest bidder. I think he’s smarter than that but if it does come down to money then you can guarantee that he won’t be in Stillwater. That’s not how DT is going to do things.

Same with Miller

Burton - I wanted him bad but I think VT has resolidified his commitment. Things can always change but I think we missed.

Jude - I’m not sure how interested we are. I think there’s a chance that he’s looking to go somewhere but there’s nothing that points to it being here.

Ross - Big recruit that may go football. You’d think Iowa but I know Cael is pushing. I don’t have a clue on us.

Villasenor (‘27)- looks good if we want him.

Raney’s - I don’t have a single Clue

Oliverez- going BJJ I believe.

Stewart - We got him on campus and we need to lock him up imo. Kid is going to be a great one.

Henckel - Idk

Little Merrill - I’ve heard they won’t be wrestling together

Mocco - I sure hope so. We have to have as good of a chance as anyone. Keeping Wyatt around for 3 years and then finding another RTC heavy will be important I think.

Other guys I like.

Kellen Wolbert & Haakan Peterson - AWA guys that are very interested and have a ton of upside. I was told from as good of a source as you can get that Ben thinks Kellen is just scratching the surface. He could be the next AWA great.

Jeter & Verrett - the Edmond North boys are just down the road and you’d think we’d kick the tires on both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT