ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

Chris

Perry

Dude has been damn near his personal coach since birth.
It's crazy though because Dee has went on and on about Zo... He’s rarely mentioned CP and didn't have anything to say about CP in the days following the DT hire being made. He just talked about Zo and being excited to meet DT.

Now we have a situation where he’s willing to follow CP anywhere? This stuff is crazy man
He’s John Smith’s nephew and he never thought he’d be coaching anywhere but Stillwater.
so burn it down?

It's crazy though because Dee has went on and on about Zo... He’s rarely mentioned CP and didn't have anything to say about CP in the days following the DT hire being made. He just talked about Zo and being excited to meet DT.

Now we have a situation where he’s willing to follow CP anywhere? This stuff is crazy man

so burn it down?
Or go find another job and when the kids you have close personal ties with want to follow …….

Remember, Carroll and Lockett committed to OSU under different circumstances. If they wanted to wrestle with or around DT, they would have committed to PSU.

I’m not sure why it is so alarming these kids are looking elsewhere

But, I guess it’s easier to just blame Chris Perry.

Personally, Chris Perry is OSU through and through…… it might have been DT’s first mistake. Maybe not.

There’s so many what ifs until we start seeing the kids this staff has actually had time to train. Until then, I’m having a hard time getting too invested in recruits because no one really knows what the product is going to look like.

Don’t misinterpret this. I do not want to lose Dee and I want the next big thing. I only feel like my attention and focus is really spent more on what will the guys in the room right now look like come fall. If that’s positive everything and everyone else will then start falling into place I hope.
The guys in the room are not a national championship level team. That is the standard. Lockett is the type of guy who can help us change that narrative. We have to recruit and sign Top-10 guys.

Was he promised something that was taken away? This seems beyond personal. Almost vendetta-like. It just feels wrong to use kids for payback. If that's what it is, and I'm not saying it is. I don't know but Chris' name keeps popping up in these threads as a common variable.
It sucks for OSU but I honestly don't blame Chris. He has done a great job building relationships with some great athletes. If he can help bring those athletes to his next stop to further his career it is just part of the game at this point. I mean it sucks for us but it is what it is.

so burn it down?
I have no idea if Perry is actively telling recruits or members of the team to leave. If he is that's a total bush league thing to do while you're getting a salary from OSU, and they should end his contract immediately.

I have no idea if Perry is actively telling recruits or members of the team to leave. If he is that's a total bush league thing to do while you're getting a salary from OSU, and they should end his contract immediately.
He’s not on salary. That’s the issue here. If he was on salary he wouldn’t be looking for another job. It’s a severance package until he finds another job. Until then, he’s free to talk to recruits because he’s essentially unemployed.

If any of us were in the same position we would be looking for another job — with the hope that some kids would follow to help our chances of landing a job.

Kids follow coaches all the time. Don’t be mad when it happens to our team

Last edited:
He’s not on salary, silly. That’s the issue here. If he was on salary he wouldn’t be looking for another job. It’s a severance package until he finds another job. Until then, he’s free to talk to recruits because he’s essentially unemployed.

If any of us were in the same position we would be looking for another job — with the hope that some kids would follow to help our chances of landing a job.

Yeah not really. They’re paying out his contract and he can’t work for anyone else if he wants that to continue. That’s not severance. I get your overall point though.

He’s not on salary. That’s the issue here. If he was on salary he wouldn’t be looking for another job. It’s a severance package until he finds another job. Until then, he’s free to talk to recruits because he’s essentially unemployed.

If the terms of his severance package allow him to actively recruit kids from OSU to somewhere else, then I have no problem with it. I don't like it, but that's the recruiting game.

I have no problem with anybody wanting to leave and follow whatever coach they want either. I also think staying in Stillwater would be better for Dee in the long run.

so burn it down?
To be fair we don’t know that he’s flipping to ISU. It’s all just rumors at this point.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
To be fair this a discussion board not the AP News. I’m not sure the idea of anything being “official” has much to do with it.
I never said you can’t or shouldn’t talk about it. I did say that the thread has gotten ahead of itself. Discuss away, freak out if you want. At this point, it feels unwarranted.

Keep in mind, we know the source of the smoke. There are other factors in play.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Believe it was suggested elsewhere he was at ISU training. He really shouldn't have to respond to and shut down every rumor.
Well the rumors really exploded from the ISU/Iowa side after Willie told the Hawkeye board that they were trying to get him too. The initial post of Twitter came from an ISU fan. It just rolled over to us and kept gaining steam

Chris Perry has always over promised and under delivered with recruits and incoming guys. In his time being a coach notice how many guys start out their careers with him being their personal coach but almost never ends up that way. Young kids gravitate towards him but as they mature they realize he is all talk. He didn’t corner Fix at all the past 3 seasons & I heard Plott could have been heading to the portal if he was on staff next season.

Chris Perry has always over promised and under delivered with recruits and incoming guys. In his time being a coach notice how many guys start out their careers with him being their personal coach but almost never ends up that way. Young kids gravitate towards him but as they mature they realize he is all talk. He didn’t corner Fix at all the past 3 seasons & I heard Plott could have been heading to the portal if he was on staff next season.
Not much of this is factual…sorry.

He delivered 2 titles as a competitor, that’s delivering.

He got talented guys to the school, that’s delivering.

He got guys hooked up with the right people to utilize NIL, he wasn’t the FedEx there.

Why would he corner Fix? He didn’t work with him.

Plott wasn’t portal chasing due to Perry, it was lack of appreciation regarding NIL.

lol really lol

Well the rumors really exploded from the ISU/Iowa side after Willie told the Hawkeye board that they were trying to get him too. The initial post of Twitter came from an ISU fan. It just rolled over to us and kept gaining stea

What a joke. You don’t have to like the guy but don’t diminish his record or make up accusations. Dude has done more in one practice than you have probably ever done on a wrestling mat.

What a joke. You don’t have to like the guy but don’t diminish his record or make up accusations. Dude has done more in one practice than you have probably ever done on a wrestling mat.
Am I supposed to be a part of this?

Hadn’t heard anything about Plott portal chasing this last year due to NIL but as a returning national finalist he should get some solid $$$. I do know that around B12s in 2023 that he and a couple others met with the coaches and told them the negativity and toxicity and overall assholeness coming from all the coaches needed to stop or they were gone. It was really bad for awhile and now that the previous coaches are gone I can say that. Bringing in Coleman was a huge change for the better not only in updating training but in overall climate for the room. I think once all the guys completely buy in to what coach Taylor is selling that everything will only get better and better.

It's weird, we're OSU fans on each of the board sites but some places you can make jokes & other places it's frowned upon. I seriously doubt Mr. PAYCOM is on this board (but if you are-- send Bo & Forrest a few $$$$ pronto!!)
34 is mostly old school message board guys. TMB culture that took over everywhere else never hit.

Reactions: bwel9339 and driad
Hadn’t heard anything about Plott portal chasing this last year due to NIL but as a returning national finalist he should get some solid $$$. I do know that around B12s in 2023 that he and a couple others met with the coaches and told them the negativity and toxicity and overall assholeness coming from all the coaches needed to stop or they were gone. It was really bad for awhile and now that the previous coaches are gone I can say that. Bringing in Coleman was a huge change for the better not only in updating training but in overall climate for the room. I think once all the guys completely buy in to what coach Taylor is selling that everything will only get better and better.
He never chased it, but it was put out there that he wasn't happy with his NIL situation compared to other guys that didn't and have never AA'd.

So, it was more of a situation to take care of him before the portal became an option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT