ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

read it on twitter, so must be true. ;) Replies to Seth's post regarding him not wrestling. i am not smart enough to get it copied.
Ahh. I don't really do twitter, but I looked and found those replies. They came from someone who appears to know Brayden.

Apparently the original plan was for Brayden to go 175 (makes sense), but the OSSAA wouldn't allow it. It was only then that he requested a wrestle-off at 190, which was denied. Now it reads as an unfortunate set of circumstances.

On the positive side, the guy tweeted Brayden has a bright future and can't wait to compete at OSU.

I saw him at the Missouri Dual (with most of the Stillwater Team).

From the looks of it: situation normal, nothing to see here

Reactions: DPJ and driad
Ahh. I don't really do twitter, but I looked and found those replies. They came from someone who appears to know Brayden.

Apparently the original plan was for Brayden to go 175 (makes sense), but the OSSAA wouldn't allow it. It was only then that he requested a wrestle-off at 190, which was denied. Now it reads as an unfortunate set of circumstances.

On the positive side, the guy tweeted Brayden has a bright future and can't wait to compete at OSU.
The guy replying is BT's dad.

He also commented to an insta post saying Coach Kyle treated BT like a stepchild and that BT told Coach to pound sand.

Mamma (daddy) drama.

The guy replying is BT's dad.

He also commented to an insta post saying Coach Kyle treated BT like a stepchild and that BT told Coach to pound sand.

Mamma (daddy) drama.
THAT we don't need. Hopefully not like the last one.

THAT we don't need. Hopefully not like the last one.
Well to be fair, it sounds like Ethan maybe could have handled things a little better.

First he could have checked with the OSSAA regarding weight certifications before the transfer. But even putting that aside as an oversight, why is he allowing a wrestle-off @ 215, but not @ 190? Seems like the policy should be consistent.

I'm not privy on what is going on but Ethan was put between a rock and a hard spot. Thompson's transfer was unexpected and Hegg had done his time with the team this year. Somebody was going to be pissed off whether there was a wrestle off or not.
On a side bar, Ethan also had to put up with the usual "recruiting" BS from other schools and coaches for several years and the rhetoric was hot when BT showed up. BT not wrestling might be the best solution for the team and the school.

Reactions: vhsalum
I'm not privy on what is going on but Ethan was put between a rock and a hard spot. Thompson's transfer was unexpected and Hegg had done his time with the team this year. Somebody was going to be pissed off whether there was a wrestle off or not.
On a side bar, Ethan also had to put up with the usual "recruiting" BS from other schools and coaches for several years and the rhetoric was hot when BT showed up. BT not wrestling might be the best solution for the team and the school.
In fairness, the move-in rhetoric (or as Mustang's shirts said a couple years ago, brought up not brought in) is well earned. While Ethan's not out recruiting, he's certainly the beneficiary of questionable move-in tactics to benefit OSU's wrestling program.

Had my kid been pushed out of the lineup, at a public school, I'd have a major case of the red ass.

Heeg moving in last year basically did just that to someone. I wouldn't have as much issue with him getting pushed out of his spot as I would a "local" kid.

Reactions: OAMC99
This all makes a lot of sense
Tough situation when you’ve got multiple new people coming in where you don’t have past history. It seems like it’s in everyone’s best interest to sort it out.

In fairness, the move-in rhetoric (or as Mustang's shirts said a couple years ago, brought up not brought in) is well earned. While Ethan's not out recruiting, he's certainly the beneficiary of questionable move-in tactics to benefit OSU's wrestling program.

Had my kid been pushed out of the lineup, at a public school, I'd have a major case of the red ass.

Heeg moving in last year basically did just that to someone. I wouldn't have as much issue with him getting pushed out of his spot as I would a "local" kid.
Mustang is just jealous kids aren’t transferring in there 😆🤣

It’s kind of a sign of the times & is happening all over the place in multiple sports.

It doesn’t seem desirable…it’s does seem like the way things are going these days.

Coach Kyle did the right thing IMO. Heeg had paid his dues and while BT might have beat him the right thing was done. He could of wrestled at 220. He would of been giving up a lot of weight but prob still win state. Either way someone was going to be pissed. Let me sort it out next year in the room.

Well to be fair, it sounds like Ethan maybe could have handled things a little better.

First he could have checked with the OSSAA regarding weight certifications before the transfer. But even putting that aside as an oversight, why is he allowing a wrestle-off @ 215, but not @ 190? Seems like the policy should be consistent.
AJ has two little brothers, i think might be the consideration. I might have thrown up a little bit when i typed that :)

Reactions: Wrassler17
BT moved because im sure he would have been ineligible because of the doc b situation. And yes you are getting another Ferrari type family 🤷‍♂️

Brayden's transfer plans happened well before the Doc B. David Mirikitani mentioned it during the HOF duals a week after the Ironman.

Regarding any Ferrari comparisons, I don't put much weight in message board posts. As far as I'm concerned, Brayden is coming in with a clean slate. We can go from there.

Coach Kyle did the right thing IMO. Heeg had paid his dues and while BT might have beat him the right thing was done. He could of wrestled at 220. He would of been giving up a lot of weight but prob still win state. Either way someone was going to be pissed. Let me sort it out next year in the room.
Semi's at Oklahoma state tournament semi's 106 Thomas wins by decision. 113 Jordan wins by tech fall. Sam Smith loses by decision to a sophomore, McComas wins by decision, Hughes wins by 1st period pin at 132 and Roller wins by 13 second pin at 138, Giddens beats Routeledge by decision at 150 and Voinovich wins by decision at 150.

Reactions: JAY45 and DPJ
Semi's at Oklahoma state tournament semi's 106 Thomas wins by decision. 113 Jordan wins by tech fall. Sam Smith loses by decision to a sophomore, McComas wins by decision, Hughes wins by 1st period pin at 132 and Roller wins by 13 second pin at 138, Giddens beats Routeledge by decision at 150 and Voinovich wins by decision at 150.
Lockett wins by pin at 157. 165 Sommer wins by decision. Heeg won by tech. fall at 190. Jersey won by pin at 215.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAY45 and DPJ
Have to think the phones just got real busy for guys like Kiser, Walker, Giddens, etc. Probably a lot of coaches calling right now.

So how do the state results impact our recruiting? Do we step up pursuit of anyone? Any non 6A guys catch the eye?

Reactions: JAY45
Yes several high level kids and wrestlers on our radar got beat so either they are not national level recruits or we need to also look at those other wrestlers.

Have to think the phones just got real busy for guys like Kiser, Walker, Giddens, etc. Probably a lot of coaches calling right now.

So how do the state results impact our recruiting? Do we step up pursuit of anyone? Any non 6A guys catch the eye?
How about the Cortez Brothers out of gilroy? Both sophomores and they won at 120 and 126

Yes several high level kids and wrestlers on our radar got beat so either they are not national level recruits or we need to also look at those other wrestlers.

Several major D1 prospects wrestled yesterday. Lots of really good talent in the state.

We are in on all of them. It will come down to fit, money and projection as to who we take.

Mesenbrink is wrestling @ 74 KG in the Dan Kolov. He just lost in the semis so he's in repechage. He fires off attacks constantly.

Was hard to see on the phone, but I think he might have been cornered by Frank Perrilli. If so, writing could be on the wall as to where he ends up.

Yeah, he's their rtc coach
We have a great 2023 class coming but our 2024 class looks weak so far. I hate seeing this but Penn. St has an unbelievably strong 2024 class. We need the 2024 class to be much better or we really need to hit the 2025 class to be great( Lockett would be a great start).

Reactions: bwel9339
Mesenbrink is wrestling @ 74 KG in the Dan Kolov. He just lost in the semis so he's in repechage. He fires off attacks constantly.

Was hard to see on the phone, but I think he might have been cornered by Frank Perrilli. If so, writing could be on the wall as to where he ends up.
Writing is definitely not on the wall. Mesenbrink isn't at an RTC and isn't allowed to be "contacted."

If you're RTC coach though - you'd be absolutely foolish not to bring him in to train. Missouri is the most likely destination, but considering he was so lightly recruited out of high school, he's really taking the opportunity to be wooed. He said he's going to take official visits whenever the portal opens.

We have a great 2023 class coming but our 2024 class looks weak so far. I hate seeing this but Penn. St has an unbelievably strong 2024 class. We need the 2024 class to be much better or we really need to hit the 2025 class to be great( Lockett would be a great start).
Besides Jordan #2-#4 @113 and Burton, who do they have coming in?

Last edited:
Writing is definitely not on the wall. Mesenbrink isn't at an RTC and isn't allowed to be "contacted."

If you're RTC coach though - you'd be absolutely foolish not to bring him in to train. Missouri is the most likely destination, but considering he was so lightly recruited out of high school, he's really taking the opportunity to be wooed. He said he's going to take official visits whenever the portal opens.
Cornell may not be a done deal, that's why I wrote "could". But it's kinda naive to think he hasn't been contacted.

Watch his interview with Bader. He talks about Yianni asking the CBU coaches if he could train with Mesenbrink. Then inviting him to the SpartanRTC to train with the Ukrainians. Mesenbrink actually mentions meeting Perrilli & Gwiz. That sounds like contact to me.

Reactions: Toadvine
The Border Brawl was on Flo last night. Saw Aydan Thomas, Oscar Williams and Ricky Thomas win.
Landyn Sommer went 1-1, his conditioning looked off. Said later that he's been off the mat since state to rest his knee. Commentators were still high on him though.

Payton Thomas dominated, guy looks like a beast. Anyone know if we have a chance to flip him from Navy?

So starter at HWT next year?
He's registered for the senior division rather than the junior division, so it would seem like he's ready. The question is whether or not he redshirts. Before NCAAs I thought we should seriously consider redshirting everyone. I'm not sure we can do that now. Need to stop the bleeding.

Something we haven't discussed a lot is the impact last weekend will have on recruiting. I know some on here are looking for reasons to be optimistic about things. But our performance at Nationals the last 2 years makes it very easy for opposing coaches to recruit against us. And what about impact transfers? Can we beat out a Cornell for someone like Mesenbrink? Going to be a tough sell.

Feels like we need a couple of things to help right the ship. First, a big time RTC announcement. And second (and more important), an infusion of NIL $.

Reactions: pokeb and osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT