ADVERTISEMENT

How worried should we be about future DL depth?

Lindsay2Mayes

All-American
Feb 11, 2008
http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/state-oklahoma-state-update-defensive-cowboys-heading-summer/

This piece got me a bit troubled about the future at both DE and DT. Hopefully they're just missing something, but color me a bit concerned.

DE
Brock Martin (likely to redshirt in 2017) is the only scholarship player who isn't at least a junior. While my understanding is that Brailford will get an extra year of eligibility, until he shows he can consistently stay healthy I hate to count on him for anything. I know we can take JUCOs to help build the depth back, but either way we need some playmakers here in the 2018 and 2019 classes.

DT
The situation is slightly better here, as Taaj Bakari, Cameron Murray, and Brendon Evers will all be underclassmen. Yet with so many scholarships tied up in the current juniors and seniors, the margin for error is thin.

Conclusion
It seems to me that we need all of these underclassmen to be solid contributors and to pick up a solid influx of JUCO and high school talent in the 2018 and 2019 classes order to avoid reverting back to the Nelson Barnes days on the DL. I cannot remember a time in the Gundy era when we were this top heavy at such a crucial position group.

Reactions: FTWpoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News