ADVERTISEMENT

How much for a new AC unit for my house?

kjcba8101

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Im suspecting I'll be in the market for a new AC unit in the next few days. It's a 2 ton unit that seems to be original to the house, from 1992.

Any idea what this will run me?

Thanks in advance

How big is the home? I'm guessing around 1,100-1,300 SQFT? If bigger you may want to consider a bigger unit. The unit will probably be $1,500-$2,500. Double that figure for labor. This is assuming you don't have new duct work installed. Get a minimum of three to five estimates and don't let them take you for the duct work automatically. I would bet what you have is fine if the home was built in 92. At most you may need a little repair work and that shouldn't really cost anything. Hopefully I'm not off on the unit cost and cooling capability. I'm not real knowledgable on this I'm just going off what I was told when I went through the same process.

My cousin's husband does fantastic work, and is very reasonable. Shoot me a pm if you want his info. He is a Deer Creek guy,.

You might have to replace the furnace, also. I have a 16 yr old AC unit and my HVAC guy told me R-22 freon is out after 2020 and being replaced with R-410. Due to this, he said I would have to change my furnace, also.

I had budgeted $5k. After the heat and air guy came out, he said it was functional (the previous contractor said it wasn't, but he wasn't an HVAC guy).

This came as a shock to me. This is a flip house. It's my first one. I'm pretty pleased to still have the $5k in the bank.

Reactions: giddyup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT