ADVERTISEMENT

Hendricks

april racer

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2011
just read on Flo that he out of the fight tomorrow due to weight cutting issues. It said he was hospitalized. I didn't realize it was such a hard cut for him. Hope he is doing well!

The cut has affected his past 3 or 4 fights. He blows up to over 205 many times in between fights which he just can't do anymore at his age.

He will either need to make a lifestyle change or move up to 185.

Disappointing as a win would have earned another deserved title shot.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Hendricks is one of my favorite athletes of all time in any sport but he has really turned off a lot of people the last year or so. He has gotten a reputation as a bit of a whiner (which I don't think is fair) and this doesn't help his image much.

I just wonder about him at 185. I think he can be a good fighter but he just doesn't seem as big as the upper level guys. I hope I'm wrong. Cormier is showing you can be a little undersized and have big success.

Hendricks is one of my favorite athletes of all time in any sport but he has really turned off a lot of people the last year or so. He has gotten a reputation as a bit of a whiner (which I don't think is fair) and this doesn't help his image much.

I just wonder about him at 185. I think he can be a good fighter but he just doesn't seem as big as the upper level guys. I hope I'm wrong. Cormier is showing you can be a little undersized and have big success.

AT I am with you in a little bit of a reputation hit but think it is almost exclusively due to weight issues. He takes a bunch of flack for in between fight pictures that surface and then the two highly publicized weight misses.

He has only had one interview that received a small amount of critisim. The guy is the ONLY champ to lose a split decision and the ONLY champ to lose a fight in which he landed more strikes than his opponet and I haven't even talked about the GSP fight. Most fight fans and MMA media have little problem with him voicing his displeasure with a couple recent decisions.

I totally agree with you on him at 185. He poseses the punching power to present a problem to any 185 pounder but overall he would be at a disadvantage against any of the top 5-8 guys at that weight.

I also will admit I am biased on the subject!

I think most level headed fans don't hold stuff like that against Johnny. The media certainly doesn't. However, if you read any MMA message boards or reddit the mood has definitely shifted against Hendricks the past year and that was even before this issue.

If you don't read stuff like that then don't start because it is mind numbingly awful.

I think most level headed fans don't hold stuff like that against Johnny. The media certainly doesn't. However, if you read any MMA message boards or reddit the mood has definitely shifted against Hendricks the past year and that was even before this issue.

If you don't read stuff like that then don't start because it is mind numbingly awful.

Haha! I don't and I'll take your advice and will not start.

I just would like to see Johny give it another solid 2 years or full time commitment to his diet and I think he could win and defend the title once more before he hangs them up.

And I am not downplaying the sacrifice and commitment he makes to MMA at all as it is an extremely tough sport.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Yeah, I hope Hendricks tries to stay at 170. I just think that is his weight class. Sounds like he just needs to commit himself to keeping his weight down in between camps. The top guys at 185 are all in the 6'2" and 6'3" range.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT