ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone stopped to consider (police violence)

Originally posted by MegaPoke:
...has more to do with the militarizing of our civilian police forces than it does race?
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Neither of the 2 recent issues have been because of a militarized civilian police force. I just don't get his recent action.

Honestly, neither of these two sensationalized events should warrant a blink. One guy was a total thug and went for a cops gun. The other guy was in horrible health and resisted arrest. Terrible accident but because of his health and his resistance it was avoidable.

What I'm saying is I think that the actual culpability by law-enforcement is in the growing disconnect - not just in black neighborhoods, but in general as they become more militarized across the nation.

If the police bear some responsibility for the backlash and protests I think it's in bad PR and not being proactive enough in those communities. Because again it's hard for a suburban white boy like me to see what the big deal is on either of these cases. Tragedies for sure but I don't see racism. And I think if the police were better at projecting a presence that felt like they were part of the community instead of simply armored enforcers, maybe these communities would see these actions differently. Maybe not. But I definitely think there is a big problem with the militarization of police forces around this country and I don't think it's a stretch to say that it's at least a component in what we're seeing now.

I don't disagree with your premise Mega. I do think there are some questions regarding the NY story. Questionable health or not, restraining a man by choking him to death is pretty extreme. Add in that his only real crime was open selling of cigs? It struck me as bully tactics, and I have to wonder if theres some racism involved. However, because of the excessive outrage following Ferguson, I just don't have much interest to dive to deep into the details. Kind of a "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.

Justin

You know the more I hear about this case in New York and the more I am having trouble not thinking that the cops definitely did not handle this right. I still think it's a massive leap to inject racial component into it arbitrarily, but it definitely strikes me as wrong the force was used to that degree over something this incredibly minor.

If this wasn't excessive force, then what is? Similar case in Moore, OK not that long ago. Also started over nothing.
I've heard two people on tv taking the cops side, and saying if you can talk you can breath, (regarding Garner saying I can't breath)
He ain't breathing now is he!?
Where's all my Big Government haters on this!??? They should be up in arms!

I think we all see the irony of police enforcing a law that was pushed by liberals that knew would create a black market that only drives the poor into a criminal element which is disproportionately black.

Originally posted by MegaPoke:
...has more to do with the militarizing of our civilian police forces than it does race?

Feelings of invincibility (extensive weapons, body armor, police code of protecting each other) and the perception of annomity (via helmets and eye cover) can prompt people to act in ways they never would without them

In the good ol days you would whack him in the knee with your knight stick and cuff him. There was also zero chance of death with the stick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT