ADVERTISEMENT

Great read: Coach McGraw's book , "Better Than I Found It" (2017)

CowboyUp

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin Tx
Excerpt:

Three days after I returned, Mike Holder called me and Alan Bratton into his office for a meeting. Mike indicated that he had spent the entire summer (2005) contemplating whether he should pursue the AD position. He told us that he had decided to take the job. He then said, "Coach McGraw, I am going to appoint you as the new Men's Coach and, Alan, you will be his assistant. I think the great qualities you both possess will be a lethal combination. Coach McGraw, do you want this responsibility?" Without hesitation I accepted the offer.

This was both humbling and awe-striking to me. I was very aware he was handing over to me something extremely precious, something he'd poured his heart and soul into for more than 32 years. I could feel the weight of the responsibility. Later that day Mike asked me, "Before you accept this position, understand two things: one is that my expectations for you might be unfair and, secondly, the expectations for OSU Golf are pretty unrealistic. Now, do you still want the job?" I told him I understood both and nothing had changed for me; I would gladly accept the position.

Mike also told me that he had received a couple calls from former OSU golfers who were not happy with his decision to hire me. "Mike, I trust that you are the right guy for the job. Just know that there will be some people who don't believe you can get the job done." I filed that away in my mind.

Sub-chapter: "Max McGreevy--A Study in Passion"

Early in his junior year I invited him to Stillwater for an unofficial visit....He arrived at Karsten and we toured the clubhouse and team practice areas before heading out to the golf course to look around. I stopped the cart near the fifth green, and I said: "Well, Max, it's great to finally have you in Stillwater. What do you think so far?"
With that Max lowered his head and began to get very emotional. He was crying so much that he could hardly speak. I gave him a few minutes to gather himself and then I asked,
"Max, are you OK? I certainly didn't mean to upset you."
"No coach, it wasn't anything you said. It just occurred to me that all of my hard work and sacrifice is paying off. I've always dreamed of the day I would come on this visit to OSU. The day finally came and I am just a little overwhelmed. Sorry Coach."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News