ADVERTISEMENT

Grading the freshmen

the bowler

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Ok. Why not grade them...…..nothing else going on. These are based on a combination of expectations coming in and just overall performance.

Kalib Boone: B+
31 games. Played 11.7 minutes a game and averaged 4.7 pts, 3 rebs, .7 blocks, and shot 55% from the field and 73% from the line. Double those minutes and you get 9.4 pts and 6 rebs. That would have been our best center production in several years. Started slow and ended very good. In last 10 averaged 7.8 pts and 4.4 rebs in 13 min/game. I expect him to improve much more from freshman to soph year than Yor did. Might even play more minutes than Yor next season. He seems have a good sense of which way to turn down low offensively. Needs to put on at least 10 more pounds for next season.

Avery Anderson C+
30 games. 15 min/game, 4.2 points on 36% shooting, 7% shooting from 3. (!). 80% from the FT line. 2.1 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.8 turnovers, 1.0 steals.
Good upside. Has extreme quickness both offensively and defensively but makes too many mistakes, especially handling the ball. Consistent scoring--in his last 10 games, had the following points: 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 7, 2, 3, 0.

Keylan Boone C+
26 games. 9 minutes/game. 2.7 pts, 40% overall and 34% from 3. 2.3 rebounds. 62% from FT.
The lowest ranked of the 4 US recruited players. Wasn't expected to play much coming in with Lindy, Cam, and Laurent getting nearly all of the minutes at the 3/4 positions. Was injured and missed the last 3 or 4 games. Triple his minutes to 27 and you get 8 pts, 7 rebounds. Stats were a little padded by playing late in blowouts. Seems to have a knack for the ball. Shows good upside at 6-8 and long arms, good outside shot (shot 48% from 3 in HS). Should get plenty of chances to up his minutes a lot next season with the 3 seniors listed above all gone. Like his brother, needs to really hit the weights.

Chris Harris C (and "I" for Incomplete)
22 games. 15 minute/game (ties Anderson for most) 3.4 points, 29% shooting, 20% from 3, 36% FT, 1.1 rebounds, .5 assists, .5 turnovers, .6 steals.
Production looks more or less awful. No other way to say it but terrible shooting. Missed the last 9 games of the season. Got good playing time, even a start or two, early in the season as the coaches seemed to favor him. Maybe he is one of those that looked much better in practice. His defense was solid for a freshman. Also, I think he must be good at running the offense and having a good sense for being in the right place. If he doesn't get his shooting up near 40% overall and 30% on three, could be the 5th guard with very little playing time next season. (Behind Cade, Ice, Anderson and the freshman Walker)

Hidde Roessink D
20 games total. 7 min, 0.8 pts, 1.3 rebs, 22% overall, 9% on threes (made 1 of 11?) 16% on FT. 2 blocks all season.
Wasn't expected to contribute much. But still didn't meet anyone's expectations. Had a couple of solid games very early--one was the exhibition game. Would be great to redshirt him but I only see that if we get another big that can play.

I'm sure others will have opinions on this...…….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News